Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mayhem II!

SR Airglow

18 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah Kevin has made up this prolific 1"+ QPF ice storm.

GFS now has a nice signal for at least some precip this weekend. Let's hope his holds. 

Figments of the imagination are a powerful thing....kind of like cold and snow NON-STOP from the beginning of December right through to the end of February... 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

so what is the reason that we cannot get a disturbance to come loaded with moisture out of the gom and hug the coast anymore?  is it the placement of the western ridge you guys are always talking about?

Mr. Miller says we're not smart enough to get As, only Bs.

PNA is positive this weekend into early next week, and the NAO heads towards neutral and the AO is negative.  Question does the -AO polar vortex that the models show around day 4-7 that transverses the northern tier of the US, does that system actually dive into the Great Lakes and New England region, or does it stay bottled up in Canada.  That will have huge ramifications on the evolution of the northern stream and southern stream dynamics.  The southern stream has a cutoff low pressure system that has major timing issues in the ensembles and major operational models.  Does the energy emerge into the eastern US while cold air is present and with a negative AO it should be cold in the eastern US along with a +1 standard above deviation for the PNA index above 0.  So in that case, the PNA ridge should stand tall and amplify the northern stream system.  In that case, where does the trough setup?

The PNA is more favorable towards this weekend system than this past weekend's snowstorm on Saturday, so chances for a more dynamic system depend upon the northern stream system dynamics, is the northern stream dynamic enough to support an East Coast snowstorm?  Right now the GFS and EURO have weak energy transverses across the New England region Sunday night, with a sprawling high pressure center over Quebec, Canada.  Does this system become a bona fide snowstorm, or just a meager piece of stuffing?  I would like to see the models trend towards a stronger piece of northern stream energy and become a solidified system.  With the +PNA I would think a more dynamic system is more likely to amplify.

6 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Models don't represent the PNA like it should be according to the CPC teleconnections, I like my chances for a good snowstorm somewhere in New England.

Almost the case with every mid latitude wave of the cold season.  Easy does it James.  While we'll be on the cold side of the boundary over the weekend, we have a crap pattern probably until after 1/25.

Just now, weathafella said:

Almost the case with every mid latitude wave of the cold season.  Easy does it James.  While we'll be on the cold side of the boundary over the weekend, we have a crap pattern probably until after 1/25.

PNA becomes positive this weekend Jerry, that is all we need for a nor'easter off the coast.

30 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Put the badminton racquets down and actually look at the setup 

You're the one who said it looked like an ice storm set up this morning...not me.  So perhaps you need to look at the set up.  I was asking the question cuz you said it looks like ice and not snow.

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

You're the one who said it looked like an ice storm set up this morning...not me.  So perhaps you need to look at the set up.  I was asking the question cuz you said it looks like ice and not snow.

It does. Perfect setup for it as models always overdo confluence this far out. Seems a likely NNE snow event 

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

Euro shifted south and more in line now with GFS and GGEM, looks good for the NYC area on south.  Confluence with the high to the north is strong.

There is also a steroidal SE ridge...it could easily come north on future runs...throw in the uncertainty regarding the handling of the southwest energy, and pretty much anyone is in the game for this weekend still.

Archived