Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem II!

SR Airglow

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

that's kinda ugly for h5 when translating it to the sfc. the h85 and 2m temp anomalies are just as bad, but the h5 heights always have higher verification scores on the LR ensembles. even with a cold upper pattern you can get a biased warm prog at 2m.

i think i saw will mention yesterday that things were looking better at the end of the ens runs. the 6z gefs looked a bit better toward the end of the month too. pattern change begins 2/1 and complete by 2/15?

25th and 1st

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

25th and 1st

hopefully....we've had a lot of rockin' febs the last 15 years. i worry that the retrograding vortex gets stalled with time and that we need another week or so to get lower heights established in the aleutians. we'll see. i can pull off snow with many d10 h5 looks so i'm not too concerned unless you're looking for something big. just show me the shortwaves.

3 minutes ago, CoolMike said:

The peaks of the MWV seem to hold onto a snowy solution through Wednesday despite the low tracking well north of Montreal.  Does anyone think this is a real possibility?  Seems like asking for a lot of CAD.

It's close for the upslope elevation areas with SE flow. The BL gets a little warm on the models overnight even up there, but a little extra upslope cooling could maybe offset a +1C at H95. Someone like HIE is cooked with SE flow though.

17 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Looks normal to slightly above normal. Being that it's January in New England, many of us can still retain a pack and see snow chances. That being said, it's a pattern that greatly favors the interior and NNE. 

when?  After Monday, looks much above normal

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Seems like the confluence continues to push southward, any chance the cutter ends up further south or not even being a cutter? 

What storm are you talking about?

The two near term systems...first tonight and second Thursday night....are going west of us. That is a certainty. Anything next week is way too far out to have any confidence in.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

What storm are you talking about?

The two near term systems...first tonight and second Thursday night....are going west of us. That is a certainty. Anything next week is way too far out to have any confidence in.

the one after the wave on Saturday night. Although it seems like it just waits for the high pressure to move out, then cut on through, Tuesdayish time frame.

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

when?  After Monday, looks much above normal

I agree that the guidance is certainly pointing to AN. However, to me this looks like a pattern prone to back-doors and CAD in the areas we'd expect--Maine, NH and CNE. That's why I'm hedging more towards N to slightly  AN.  After Monday, outside of those areas, it looks quite warm... 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

GFS and Euro are worlds apart early next week. Euro with a big cut off in plains and GFS with weaker system heading toward NE. 

The Euro has a big high pressing in from the Northeast on Wednesday, much stronger than last nights run. This is the time that is also has the NAO going negative and the PNA going positive...

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Its an overrunning type event though.  Would not be surprised it that ends up north.  I've warned the snow hounds here that too

It's better for you guys. Not a fan of the look here...at least near I-90. Better down s coast. But, there is some time for it to change.

if i didn't know any better i'd say the Euro is playing into the age old bias it always had of holding back dynamics too far SW ... 

the only problem, that was like 10 years and how many upgrades and improvements ago ... and admittedly, i haven't seen a huge amount of that in recent years so I was under the assumption it wasn't as much of a persistent issue with that guidance. 

hmm

Archived