Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

3 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I finally got to watch Sully. The movie about the water landing on the Hudson Jan 15, 2009. First, Fantastic movie, and Captain Sullenberger is absolutely amazing. But Holy cow, I forgot about the snow pack that year. I had to think back, and i had just moved back from living outside Las Vegas. I remember driving to Watertown in my truck to help my friend shovel. And there was no room to park because of the huge snow banks. I had to park at a stop and shop and walk to his house.

Jan 2009 was a great month for cold and snow. I hit -20F twice that month in Middlebury, VT and had 12.5" in the 1/28 SWFE...there were a couple smaller snowfalls as well. Dec '08 had the double barrelled storm...a lot of NE areas had 10" on 12/19 and another 10" on 12/21. I was home near NYC and got 8" on 12/19 and 2.5" plus ice on 12/21...that 2nd storm just killed Middlebury, though. Much of the snowpack melted during the holidays, but it was off to the races in January again. Great cross country skiing in Ripton, VT that January, just epic snows and crystal clear arctic weather in the Greens.

Dec 08-Jan 09 was a great stretch for winter lovers. It was a very front-loaded winter, though. February had nothing except for the 2/3 Norlun that gave Philly 8-10" while everyone north smoked exhaust. There was a coastal Mar 1-2 that gave NYC 8-10", but Middlebury only had like 4. Pretty much over after the 3/2 storm, too.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What is a "normal" looking storm?  One with a central low pressure?  I'm curious, I'll take the bait lol.

I'm talking about the evolution of the various threats that have been showing up for the better part of a month.......every god damn one is a strung out POS......cuts west....OTS.....occludes too early....take your pick......it's like nothing I have ever seen before....this winter sucks

7 hours ago, ice1972 said:

I'm talking about the evolution of the various threats that have been showing up for the better part of a month.......every god damn one is a strung out POS......cuts west....OTS.....occludes too early....take your pick......it's like nothing I have ever seen before....this winter sucks

sucks, but such is life in death valley. just cant buy a KU since......Jan 15, which is far too long. 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:40 AM, nzucker said:

Jan 2009 was a great month for cold and snow. I hit -20F twice that month in Middlebury, VT and had 12.5" in the 1/28 SWFE...there were a couple smaller snowfalls as well. Dec '08 had the double barrelled storm...a lot of NE areas had 10" on 12/19 and another 10" on 12/21. I was home near NYC and got 8" on 12/19 and 2.5" plus ice on 12/21...that 2nd storm just killed Middlebury, though. Much of the snowpack melted during the holidays, but it was off to the races in January again. Great cross country skiing in Ripton, VT that January, just epic snows and crystal clear arctic weather in the Greens.

Dec 08-Jan 09 was a great stretch for winter lovers. It was a very front-loaded winter, though. February had nothing except for the 2/3 Norlun that gave Philly 8-10" while everyone north smoked exhaust. There was a coastal Mar 1-2 that gave NYC 8-10", but Middlebury only had like 4. Pretty much over after the 3/2 storm, too.

All depends on location.  Jan 2009 was certainly cold - set new all-time record in Maine - but the potential was missed for snow as 2 of the 3 warned events underperformed significantly.  Feb was pretty meh until 19-23, when 2 storms totaled 33", the 2nd (24.5") pushing the pack briefly above 50", tallest I've had here.  And the underperforming 3/2 event ended winter.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Ginxygonewild day

Yeah today is a good one to put on the GGW DVD...

We were just missing the powder snow pack though that blows into drifts on days like today, so this one didn't have all the goods. But that's fine, we can use this in the infomercial...you never want to show all the goods on the infomercial anyway.

Archived