Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just completed my BS in criminal justice. Shameless plug for anyone in the area who may have a lead or information on jobs in the field... or something closely related.

Started applying to places before I even officially finished.. no luck yet 

You should come to VT.  The VSP are always looking for State Troopers and cities like Burlington often have trouble finding qualified applicants.  My own town, Barre Town, is looking to fill a position as well. The problem is that entry level positions don't pay all that well.  Good luck with your search.

It appears my neighbor, 2 houses down from me, hit a patch of ice not far from us around 11 AM  New Years Day and flipped his Mercedes into a brook and went under the water, his wife passed, he survived. They just moved into the neighborhood and I did not know them other than to say hello on a walk.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

It appears my neighbor, 2 houses down from me, hit a patch of ice not far from us around 11 AM  New Years Day and flipped his Mercedes into a brook and went under the water, his wife passed, he survived. They just moved into the neighborhood and I did not know them other than to say hello on a walk.

Dang...what a horrible way to go, and to survive that but lose your spouse...awful

1 hour ago, codfishsnowman said:

I wonder if car can get to 3 foot on the level by midday tomorrow, 27 or 28 otg there now according to climate summary

They're WS warned up there, so it might happen.  Closer to home, Farmington reached 31" right after the 24.9" they recorded on 12/29-30.  They're probably now settled to about the same as the 24" at my stake.  (2nd most for the date, though well behind 2008.) 

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

They're WS warned up there, so it might happen.  Closer to home, Farmington reached 31" right after the 24.9" they recorded on 12/29-30.  They're probably now settled to about the same as the 24" at my stake.  (2nd most for the date, though well behind 2008.) 

Sebago has 25 on Cocorahs

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

You should come to VT.  The VSP are always looking for State Troopers and cities like Burlington often have trouble finding qualified applicants.  My own town, Barre Town, is looking to fill a position as well. The problem is that entry level positions don't pay all that well.  Good luck with your search.

go to Chicago...   

60 minutes reported a kind of exodus of cops there because of an apparent break-down in social order that has gotten out of control.  law enforcement agencies says attrition of police is high.  meanwhile, ... thuggery runs amok along with over developed sense of vigilantism. it's may be a scary proposition, but it's a noble one, and ... they'd probably accelerate you through offer's training.

No one asked but I think culture is in trouble. The way mass media and communication technology is exposing a dark side of human society (that was always there, but is now showcasing along side other violence) all has people at sort of a "smoldering panic?" It's causing an illusion of things spinning out of control, when it's always been the same.  

But people don't know that. Instead it's triggering some kind of flight or fight' response.  There's an acceptable meme that's come about that it is okay to lash out and solve one's issues with extreme reciprocity. Because everyone thinks the police and basic social order in general are respectively corrupt and failing.  Plus, the average joe is ever desensitized to violence by Tweets and social media that zaps morbidity and macabre around faster than any possibility to objectify the information with critical thinking; and most importantly, the morality filters that used to typically stop people has gaping holes in it now.  

Those types of over-whelming stories coming from police departments in denser urban areas is on the rise, and in effect they are overwhelmed and overrun by mobs of angry roused rabble.   

13 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I didn't' want to be the wise-ass to say that because I know plenty of folks up north have had a good start to the winter thus far. Southern sections ...that is another story.

...ha, yeah.  ...i'm just goshin' anyway. 

we've had plenty of cold around... it's just that the pattern is preventing baroclinic mixing...  which is big words to say that when the flow is fast, you don't get classical warm and cold sectors so much - without these, you don't get good storms.

On 12/22/2016 at 9:55 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

Lots of difference micro climates throughout the state--pick wisely when and if you do come here. I moved here 2 years ago and was kind of clueless at first at how different the various locations can be.

Just back from a trip up there checking out colleges for one of my daughters and scouting houses.  Thanks for the pro tip.  I tend to geek out about micro climate stuff.  I specifically chose my house here in Maryland on a NE facing slope in a ravine on top of Parr's Ridge and my "climate" is more similar to south central PA then Montgomery County in MD.  I'll try to do the same when I head up there.

I noticed a few things travelling on my way to and through Vermont:

- While only miles apart, the climate differences between the upper reaches of the Hudson River Valley near Albany and the Green Mtn. National Forrest area in SE VT are striking.  

- When heading north out of MD into PA, it felt like I was getting close to the arctic.  When leaving VT and heading back through PA, it felt like the deep south.  I will really like living closer to 45N than 40N.

- An east tracking GL low with any semblance of high pressure to the north is something to be celebrated instead of reviled like in MD.

- Radar shows virga up there a LOT longer before saturating the lower levels than it does in the mid-Atlantic.

- A 25dBZ snow return seems a lot lighter than the same return down here.

- Manchester is cute.  Burlington is cool.  Montpelier is way cool.  Woodstock looks and feels like a bunch of Manhattan'ers and Bostonians created a Disney version of a New England village for their enjoyment.

- When it snows, Vermonters (sp?) come out in droves to downhill ski, cross country ski, snowmobile, etc...  And, when it isn't snowing, they ice skate and ice fish.  I loved seeing the ice hockey rinks shoveled out on the ponds.  We can only do that once or twice per year in my part of MD.

- There are just as many spinouts and crashes on VT roadways during a snowstorm as there is in MD.  Which is weird since we have like 10x the number of drivers.

- Where do all the critters go in the winter?  I didn't see a single racoon, opossum, skunk, deer (or moose), fox, rabbit or small birds, even dead on the side of the road while up there for 7+ days.  I only saw some crows and hawks.  MD is full of all of those all the time even when our temps are below 0F and we have a deep, longstanding snowpack.

Thanks for letting me banter a bit in the banter thread.  I hope that's ok.

2 minutes ago, das said:

- Where do all the critters go in the winter?  I didn't see a single racoon, opossum, skunk, deer (or moose), fox, rabbit or small birds, even dead on the side of the road while up there for 7+ days.  I only saw some crows and hawks.  MD is full of all of those all the time even when our temps are below 0F and we have a deep, longstanding snowpack.

Wouldn't it be funny if they discovered that all the deer and moose and bear and wild cat sightings that goes on in urbania really had less to do with encroachment on habitats and almost all to do with the fact that fetid human refuse smells sweet and appetizing?

6 minutes ago, das said:

Just back from a trip up there checking out colleges for one of my daughters and scouting houses.  Thanks for the pro tip.  I tend to geek out about micro climate stuff.  I specifically chose my house here in Maryland on a NE facing slope in a ravine on top of Parr's Ridge and my "climate" is more similar to south central PA then Montgomery County in MD.  I'll try to do the same when I head up there.

I noticed a few things travelling on my way to and through Vermont:

- While only miles apart, the climate differences between the upper reaches of the Hudson River Valley near Albany and the Green Mtn. National Forrest area in SE VT are striking.  

- When heading north out of MD into PA, it felt like I was getting close to the arctic.  When leaving VT and heading back through PA, it felt like the deep south.  I will really like living closer to 45N than 40N.

- An east tracking GL low with any semblance of high pressure to the north is something to be celebrated instead of reviled like in MD.

- Radar shows virga up there a LOT longer before saturating the lower levels than it does in the mid-Atlantic.

- A 25dBZ snow return seems a lot lighter than the same return down here.

- Manchester is cute.  Burlington is cool.  Montpelier is way cool.  Woodstock looks and feels like a bunch of Manhattan'ers and Bostonians created a Disney version of a New England village for their enjoyment.

- When it snows, Vermonters (sp?) come out in droves to downhill ski, cross country ski, snowmobile, etc...  And, when it isn't snowing, they ice skate and ice fish.  I loved seeing the ice hockey rinks shoveled out on the ponds.  We can only do that once or twice per year in my part of MD.

- There are just as many spinouts and crashes on VT roadways during a snowstorm as there is in MD.  Which is weird since we have like 10x the number of drivers.

Thanks for letting me banter a bit in the banter thread.  I hope that's ok.

Probably the best weenie spot for snow in VT outside of maybe some of the base areas around ski resorts is Woodford, VT in the southern part of the state. About 2200-2400 feet of elevation. I'm not sure if you are required to work somewhere specific or if you have a flexible work-from-home type setup, but consider that town if you are basing a big part of your move on winter climate.

Though I will say it is absolutely brutal...winter won't let go in a place like that until probably mid/late April.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Probably the best weenie spot for snow in VT outside of maybe some of the base areas around ski resorts is Woodford, VT in the southern part of the state. About 2200-2400 feet of elevation. I'm not sure if you are required to work somewhere specific or if you have a flexible work-from-home type setup, but consider that town if you are basing a big part of your move on winter climate.

Though I will say it is absolutely brutal...winter won't let go in a place like that until probably mid/late April.

Yeah it's hard to find houses above 2000ft though up this way I think the Eden area on RT 100 at 1,500-1,800ft is comparable.  A buddy of mine lives there and has like 15-18" on the ground right now and he gets at least 200" a year on his property. 

There are definitely some weenie spots in northern VT (Greensboro and Westford are two more) between Mansfield and Jay...but they are really in the middle of nowhere.  Not that Woodford is close to anything either lol.  

I still think the homes and condos at the base of Bolton Valley (there's definitely a bit of a community up there) at 2,000-2,400ft is the best location in the state for fun weather, snow, wind, t-storms (though no heat, like 80F is a very hot day in the summer) and access to real life things in BTV and MPV.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm going to plug north central VT. North of Montpelier, Worcester, Elmore and Woodbury get buried but are relatively close to amenities. North and east of Barre, Orange, Washington and Groton have a bit of a different flavor than the towns I mentioned previously but offer some great weenie spots too. I know Woodford gets its share but I'm partial to this part of the state. 

Will,

Remember a few weeks back when you had explained that GDAS-CPC ZOnal Temperature Time Series Plot?  Trying to go back and look at periods of warmer stratosphere's in the winter months and colder periods so I can perhaps understand the relation to the 500mb pattern.  I decided to first look at December of 1989 given the extreme cold that happened here.  I noticed that between about 2mb and 5mb (quite high up in the stratosphere I'm assuming...not sure about on average the mesosphere begins) there was some pretty extreme warmth...was it this that lead to the 500mb pattern that occurred that month?

time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_ALL_NH_1989.gif'

Do4BAtwnsc.png

Also, and this is a much more challenging question to get across but I know a great deal is also placed on the actual structure of features and such...I've seen Sam Lillo and HM talked about structure quite a bit on Twitter, especially with regards to QBO.  What's the best way to like understand structure of anomalies and such and how that plays a role in the evolution of the pattern?

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's hard to find houses above 2000ft though up this way I think the Eden area on RT 100 at 1,500-1,800ft is comparable.  A buddy of mine lives there and has like 15-18" on the ground right now and he gets at least 200" a year on his property. 

There are definitely some weenie spots in northern VT (Greensboro and Westford are two more) between Mansfield and Jay...but they are really in the middle of nowhere.  Not that Woodford is close to anything either lol.  

I still think the homes and condos at the base of Bolton Valley (there's definitely a bit of a community up there) at 2,000-2,400ft is the best location in the state for fun weather, snow, wind, t-storms (though no heat, like 80F is a very hot day in the summer) and access to real life things in BTV and MPV.

Hill Farmstead!

Archived