Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mreaves said:

There is quite few food and beer things in that area. Hardwick has been sort of a nexus of the local food movement. There was even a book written about it, The Town That Food Saved. https://benhewitt.net/about/excerpt-from-the-town-that-food-saved/

I can't wait until we take over forecast responsibility for that area. :devilsmiley:

1 minute ago, ice1972 said:

What's the bet you end up BN come the end of Morch?  How much snow is in your 10 day forecast this morning?  Lol.....this baby is cooked.....don't be fooled

Probably about 50/50 considering we're near normal right now. 

At least you're keeping your clown predictions to the banter thread though. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Probably about 50/50 considering we're near normal right now. 

At least you're keeping your clown predictions to the banter thread though. 

My point is that your normal now is quickly gonna be BN.....it won't take long.....two weeks and you're cooked too

You'd have to give me odds to bet on anything below normal. We rack up AN vs. BN months at what a 3:1 clip? I looked at the dailies for the last decade at the five SNE climo sites a while back and IIRC AN (+5 or warmer) days occurred about one-third of the time, and below normal (-5 or colder) about 10-12% of days. Thought for sure December was gonna put up a negative monthly departure after that nice start....but nope.

44 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Meh.....I keep it to banter.....mostly....I'm totally serious though....this is worse than last year

oh I totally agree. here is what we have seen up at my Dad's place in NH

as of Jan 4, 2016: 4.5"

as of Jan 4, 2017: 28.75"

37 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

You'd have to give me odds to bet on anything below normal. We rack up AN vs. BN months at what a 3:1 clip? I looked at the dailies for the last decade at the five SNE climo sites a while back and IIRC AN (+5 or warmer) days occurred about one-third of the time, and below normal (-5 or colder) about 10-12% of days. Thought for sure December was gonna put up a negative monthly departure after that nice start....but nope.

He's talking about snow. 

3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

oh I totally agree. here is what we have seen up at my Dad's place in NH

as of Jan 4, 2016: 4.5"

as of Jan 4, 2017: 28.75"

Probably shouldn't feed the troll, but - while the Big 4 SNE sites were all a fraction AN for temps in DEC, and BOX/PVD were only at about 60% snowfall (BDL almost dead on and ORH AN), "worse than last year" is silly as none of those stations had reached the 2" mark by 12/31/16 and that December was 10-12F milder than last month.  If that makes this year "worse than last", it means one roots for brown ground and warm rain all winter.  :P

Edit:  Meant 12/31/15, of course.

Man, they are getting annihilated in the Sierras. I love following these events there...I experienced two of them in my time out there when my aunt had a condo at the Alpine Meadows base...it's something else. They've had like 5 feet of snow in the past 2 days with probably another 20"+ today incoming. Looks like plenty more on the way too in the next 10 days. Good for them though...what they experienced a couple years ago was historically awful...maybe only rivaled by '76-'77, and last year wasn't good either even if it wasn't as bad as the previous year.

Just a firehose of moisture hitting the mountains.

Jan4_radar.gif

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Man, they are getting annihilated in the Sierras. I love following these events there...I experienced two of them in my time out there when my aunt had a condo at the Alpine Meadows base...it's something else. They've had like 5 feet of snow in the past 2 days with probably another 20"+ today incoming. Looks like plenty more on the way too in the next 10 days. Good for them though...what they experienced a couple years ago was historically awful...maybe only rivaled by '76-'77, and last year wasn't good either even if it wasn't as bad as the previous year.

Jan4_radar.gif

Blasted......love it up there.....probably the reason I'm such a weenie.....had a friend whose family owned a cabin at Alpine Meadows....went every year and the pack on the houses was just insane sometimes.....feet and feet.....

1 minute ago, ice1972 said:

Blasted......love it up there.....probably the reason I'm such a weenie.....had a friend whose family owned a cabin at Alpine Meadows....went every year and the pack on the houses was just insane sometimes.....feet and feet.....

First time I experienced a storm there was Feb '94...was out there on school vacation week. We arrived in the latter stages of one of their storms. Took the train from Oakland which was a good thing because Donner Pass was closed off on I-80...takes a lot more to close the train down. They had already gotten about 4 feet of snow when we arrived and the storm lasted another 36 hours or so...and dropped an additional 3 feet (most of that fell in the next 18 hours). I couldn't believe the snow pack and just how much snow falls at once there.

I also experienced a big one in March '99 there...the pack in Mar '99 was out of control though. It made every other time I went there seem pathetic, if that's even possible. The '98-'99 year had been off the charts, so I got to see a majority of the winter's worth of snowfall. They had to have 20-25 feet OTG.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

First time I experienced a storm there was Feb '94...was out there on school vacation week. We arrived in the latter stages of one of their storms. Took the train from Oakland which was a good thing because Donner Pass was closed off on I-80...takes a lot more to close the train down. They had already gotten about 4 feet of snow when we arrived and the storm lasted another 36 hours or so...and dropped an additional 3 feet (most of that fell in the next 18 hours). I couldn't believe the snow pack and just how much snow falls at once there.

I also experienced a big one in March '99 there...the pack in Mar '99 was out of control though. It made every other time I went there seem pathetic, if that's even possible. The '98-'99 year had been off the charts, so I got to see a majority of the winter's worth of snowfall. They had to have 20-25 feet OTG.

Awesome......Donner Pass is so sketchy sometimes when it's still open but pounding snow at like 2am when nobody is on the road.....I spun my car out once descending into Trucker after going over the pass....luckily nobody was in the road and I didn't go into a bank.....also the train option is interesting....did you stop in Trucker?  We always drove but a train sounds much less stressful....

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

And then New Years Eve 1996 into NYD 1997 happens.....so fuked up

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What's the typical highest residential locations there? Most of those Tahoe ASOS sites are 6000-7000' I believe.

Kirkwood gets around 8,000 feet for some of the residential stuff, but most of them are in the 7k range at the base of the resorts that I know of. I think the highest ASOS there is the South Tahoe airport one at around 6300 feet...but I hate that ASOS since it's probably in the worst downslope location possible. It's the Tahoe version of KHIE. Truckee is a bit better but they also get downsloped some and they are not as high as South Tahoe.

Blue Canyon is a good spot, but it's only about 5k...so they can often be raining while it is ripping at the resorts 2k higher. I really wish they had an ASOS at Soda Springs around 6k feet.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Jan4_radar.gif

That's great, they need the moisture badly!

35 minutes ago, radarman said:

The warm storm this weekend is going to pose a significant avy risk out there.  Glad they're catching up after a slow start.

That's gonna be a doozy...like maybe a foot of snow on the front end, then several inches of rain as snow levels go to like 9k feet, and then probably 1-2 feet is pretty cold powder on the back end.

Archived