Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think this was more the wind . Freaking horrific North Atlantic . Good for nothing 

It got warmer than models showed. Lots of time around 37-40 which is a lot different than 34/35. There's really a definitive line there around 37-38. 

Still mostly covered on winter hill(prob 80%) but a few bare spots showing on the exposed sun regions. 

2 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

Wow - that's cool!  

Took us 100% by surprise.   We had finished dinner and I was clearing stuff and my wife and daughter both said "What was that?!?"   Lightning.  Then a second later a big rattling boomer. I was like "Wtf", looked outside and we were ripping dendrites

roads are getting really icy now...plus I saw a barred owl (went to Walmart for a bit)

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Took us 100% by surprise.   We had finished dinner and I was clearing stuff and my wife and daughter both said "What was that?!?"   Lightning.  Then a second later a big rattling boomer. I was like "Wtf", looked outside and we were ripping dendrites

roads are getting really icy now...plus I saw a barred owl (went to Walmart for a bit)

Nice!  I was outside around 5:00 pushing ponds of water off the driveway and removing embedded Xmas light extension cords from thawed glacier base from the front yard and it was 38F. Then about an hour later I happened to look out and it was ripping onto a base layer of grauple. 

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It got warmer than models showed. Lots of time around 37-40 which is a lot different than 34/35. There's really a definitive line there around 37-38. 

Still mostly covered on winter hill(prob 80%) but a few bare spots showing on the exposed sun regions. 

I was shocked when I checked Holy Cross cam today. Barely even 1 snowbank

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was shocked when I checked Holy Cross cam today. Barely even 1 snowbank

Yeah they wouldve gotten wrecked. They didn't get as much from the 12/30 event and they are on the south side of town which is probably the first area to warm in CAD setups. 

20/18. Flurries

After driving all of the Rt 2 corridor today I can safely say that N Franklin Co ( N of Rt 2, me, mpm, lurker)  currently have the most snow cover in the state outside of isolated places in the Berkshires or pockets in the N ORH Co hilltowns.   This area is still 70% coverage with solid snow pack ranging from 2-6".  

I was shocked to see how quickly the pack dwindled E of Greenfield.  Even Gardner and Leominster were spotty.  

Hopefull E MA makes up for it this weekend. 

I'm wondering, do we need an emergency GTG to reinforce some commandments?

Along with things like: the snow starts sooner and so does the sleet in a SWFE, and thou shall not forecast more than 10" in a SWFE

I think we might need reminders than the SREF has been rendered useless beyond maybe a trend forecast, and cut the NAM QPF by a third (the 3km might need to be more than that). 

Seems out of hand lately (and I'm not just talking about in here *cough* BOX *cough*). 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm wondering, do we need an emergency GTG to reinforce some commandments?

Along with things like: the snow starts sooner and so does the sleet in a SWFE, and thou shall not forecast more than 10" in a SWFE

I think we might need reminders than the SREF has been rendered useless beyond maybe a trend forecast, and cut the NAM QPF by a third (the 3km might need to be more than that). 

Seems out of hand lately (and I'm not just talking about in here *cough* BOX *cough*). 

I'm down. 

Archived