joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy New Year Northern New Englanders...

27.5"  snow for December.  Not bad at all even considering only 7.5" from the big storm that just grazed us.  

Amazing that 50 miles to my south there is bare ground showing.  Solid snow cover all month.  Tuesday looks like its just going to glaciate the pack even more.  Snowmobilers are finally getting some use out of their sleds after last winters disaster. 

Newfound Lake is 3/4 open.  The southern bay is frozen and bobhouses going out and snowmobilers are out on the ice today.  I can't see that the ice is very thick.  We had the one cold blast but not a lot of the cold.  The ice was thin and now is covered with that 7" of snow.  So there is no way to tell what is just skim ice.  Accidents waiting to happen on NH big lakes right now....  Probably late week cold snap will help thicken and expand ice cover.

15 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

27.5"  snow for December.  Not bad at all even considering only 7.5" from the big storm that just grazed us.  

Amazing that 50 miles to my south there is bare ground showing.  Solid snow cover all month.  Tuesday looks like its just going to glaciate the pack even more.  Snowmobilers are finally getting some use out of their sleds after last winters disaster. 

Newfound Lake is 3/4 open.  The southern bay is frozen and bobhouses going out and snowmobilers are out on the ice today.  I can't see that the ice is very thick.  We had the one cold blast but not a lot of the cold.  The ice was thin and now is covered with that 7" of snow.  So there is no way to tell what is just skim ice.  Accidents waiting to happen on NH big lakes right now....  Probably late week cold snap will help thicken and expand ice cover.

Happy new year from a non northern New Englander Heavy heavy gradient 

IMG_20170101_122602.jpg

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tail of two states. Definitely no winter here yet. Nice and mild for now. 

Driving between ORH and Natick the snow dropped off very rapidly between about Shrewsbury on 290 (which has some elevation there...maybe 700+ feet) and Marlborough before hitting 495. 

December was pretty solid in the stats for ORH. 17.5" of snow and about normal temps. Good start to winter. Not perfect but can't complain at all about it. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Driving between ORH and Natick the snow dropped off very rapidly between about Shrewsbury on 290 (which has some elevation there...maybe 700+ feet) and Marlborough before hitting 495. 

December was pretty solid in the stats for ORH. 17.5" of snow and about normal temps. Good start to winter. Not perfect but can't complain at all about it. 

~13 .5 " here with normal temps.

Not great but snowy enough to wet the weenie.

What was missing was pack. 4 days now is the most for month. I'm sure the Rainer washes it away Tuesday 

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah not surprising. Could have used a bit more, but no complaints compared to last year.  Just hoping later this week works out. It's at least nice to have a running start to the season for a lot of the area.

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I read a report of 7" of ice south of Mayhew Island. I'm sure it takes alot to freeze the main lake between the depth and the wind. I've been out in the spring with a NW wind and that lake is brutal in the wind. 

You are right about gradient. It's the near the MA/NH line along the 93 corridor (I know the highway can be a bad approx cause it's so exposed) but it rapidly drops off south of Salem to patchy coverage. 

I am writing an article on heat waves and doing some searching so I can perhaps find what the thresholds are for each region...not having much luck on links :/

but I did come across something for the Northeast that said 3-consecutive 90+ days does not always mean a heat wave as it also depends on degree of humidity... Is this true? I always thought it was the temp which defined heat wave...didn't know it also depends on humidity 

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I am writing an article on heat waves and doing some searching so I can perhaps find what the thresholds are for each region...not having much luck on links :/

but I did come across something for the Northeast that said 3-consecutive 90+ days does not always mean a heat wave as it also depends on degree of humidity... Is this true? I always thought it was the temp which defined heat wave...didn't know it also depends on humidity 

Kevin can provide the thresholds in units of toilet paper needed.

35 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

idk if there's really any official definition out there. Everyone just uses 3 consecutive 90+ days in the northern states.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idk if there's really any official definition out there. Everyone just uses 3 consecutive 90+ days in the northern states.

Yeah I only seem to find something for the northeast but can't find anything for like the southeast, southwest, northern Plains, etc.  

i don't think that's a huge deal.  What I'm going to focus on more is the atmospheric patterns which are favorable to producing prolonged periods of "excessive heat".  What I may do is use the summer of 1995 as an example...that's the last extreme major heat wave I can think of which affected such an extensive area

15 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

A tenth under 40" here, 2nd snowiest DEC (behind the 46.2" of 2007) and 4th snowiest of any month.  When I fill in the temps for the days we were in NJ, the month should come in about 5F BN, 2nd or 3rd coldest of 19 Decembers here.  Given that, plus 2 mornings -20 or below and the rare 20"+ event, Dec 2016 rates an "A" on my totally subjective grade scale.

Question for the weather station gurus out there. I have a 10+ year old Vantage Pro 2. The anemometer has stopped transmitting data, the rain gauge has also stopped recently and I have not upgraded the temperature sensor yet. At this point, it is worth looking into getting a new unit? Not sure the wife would be happy with my spending $500+ on a new one. Thoughts on the Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP or the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue? Thanks!

Archived