Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, tamarack said:

All depends on location.  Jan 2009 was certainly cold - set new all-time record in Maine - but the potential was missed for snow as 2 of the 3 warned events underperformed significantly.  Feb was pretty meh until 19-23, when 2 storms totaled 33", the 2nd (24.5") pushing the pack briefly above 50", tallest I've had here.  And the underperforming 3/2 event ended winter.

You must have had a pretty good December though with the twin events.

How much did you get in 1/28/09?

You did achieve your biggest snowpack ever, and the 3/2 storm was a big hit down in my home area...NYC had like 8" and we had 10" in Dobbs Ferry. Then we had 1" on 3/20...don't know if you had more but my mom said it was a wet snow morning event.

6 hours ago, nzucker said:

You did achieve your biggest snowpack ever, and the 3/2 storm was a big hit down in my home area...NYC had like 8" and we had 10" in Dobbs Ferry. Then we had 1" on 3/20...don't know if you had more but my mom said it was a wet snow morning event.

Checking the Farmington coop, December was around 34.2" total. January 28 was a 10" storm. And 3/2 was only 3.3"

Did get to 48" snowpack though in mid February.

8 hours ago, nzucker said:

Had a "pack primer" of 5.5" on 12/17/08.  Then the first twin was a graze, 2.1" coming over about 20 hr of steady --SN.  2nd one was a true blizzard, dumping 15.5" at near-10 temps and strong winds.  I had to make a nighttime commute to Farmington to take our son to his 11-7 shift at Big Apple - 12 miles each way and it took a full hour (2" fell during it) with our Outback.

The Jan 28 event brought me 9.1" on a 12-18 forecast, not that much of a bust.  The big dump on Feb 22-23 brought depth to 51" though my 9P obs time shows a settle to 49 - too bad I didn't join cocorahs until August of that year.

The March 2 event had a 8-12" forecast, gave me 5.6", and as Chris noted, Farmington did even poorer.  I've got nothing for 3/20 and only 1.9" after 3/2, none after 3/11.

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

08-09 was such an underrated winter down here. It made a top 10 at the local COOP since 1960. Jan had a sneaky good snowpack of 18-24" and it was meaty. I know it's not huge compared to up north...but it was a really fun winter down here. Jan was very cold with constant snow OTG.

There were no thaws in January that year. I think the highest temp at ORH was 37 or 38. That's not very easy to do for an entire month...at least at our latitude. The month was like -6 departure and of course all sorts of snow events. Obviously Feb 2015 makes that look like child's play but still a very strong winter month. That winter also had the historic ice storm for my area so it got bonus points that do not show up in the temp and snow data. 

Archived