Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Looks like another morning below zero for me.  It's currently -1...I think BOX had me at 10 or 12 last night.  The 10PM update used the old "near steady temperature" phrase...oh well.

Low of 12 here..now 14

Hard to believe tomorrow morning at this time, the grass is back, the pack is gone it's 50 with roaring winds. The 80's winter continues

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It's fake anyways.

-5 of real cold yesterday (breeze stayed up thru the night) and about -16 of fake cold this morning, apparently lower even than BML - they had clouds roll in during the night.  Forecast Sunday had yesterday's low being considerably lower than this morning's, and maybe that was the case on the sidehills.

Coldest I saw in NH this morning was -18F at the Errol COOP. Only hit -1.4F here on the hill, but the Winni River HADS site didn't get any lower than me. Like tamarack said, some clouds put a lid on the radiational cooling and a little WAA aloft didn't help either. The really sheltered valleys around here still managed -5F to -10F though. It's definitely a more "fake" cold though. My chickens aren't too intimidated by it.

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

I took this last night, we ended up with -1.3 here and still 5.7 with clouds rolling in...I know it's fake cold, but still impressive otherwise, I think DXR hit 1 this morning.

Screenshot_20170109-200115.png

I guess BOX wasn't the only office not paying attention last night.  Most temps were below the forecasted AM low by 9-10PM last night.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The really sheltered valleys around here still managed -5F to -10F though. It's definitely a more "fake" cold though.

If we can have "fake" cold, can we also have "fake" snow if it only occurs in elevated areas?  I mean, it's a localized event and does not represent the entire atmospheric column as I've been told.  So if it's 32° and snow at 1K and 34° and rain at 500', isn't that "fake" snow at 1K?  If a valley reading at -10° is "fake" and shouldn't count, we shouldn't be counting elevated snow unless it occurs at all elevations, right?

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

If we can have "fake" cold, can we also have "fake" snow if it only occurs in elevated areas?  I mean, it's a localized event and does not represent the entire atmospheric column as I've been told.  So if it's 32° and snow at 1K and 34° and rain at 500', isn't that "fake" snow at 1K?  If a valley reading at -10° is "fake" and shouldn't count, we shouldn't be counting elevated snow unless it occurs at all elevations, right?

Well upslope is fake snow anyways. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Barre Falls Dam claims they got to -7F.  They are only about 5 miles away and similar elevation.  Even though they are Army Corps of Engineers, sometimes I question their temps and snowfall reports. Over 10 degrees F colder than my house

Depends mostly on the terrain. Even in the same town you can have one location in a valley 1kft and another on top of a hill at 1kft. Both could potentially see drastically different conditions on radiational cooling nights. I won't speak for your example as I haven't analyzed the terrain for your CWOP site and the COOP...just throwing it out there.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not to offend the radiators...but the shallow, calm cold definitely doesn't have the bite of those really low thickness airmasses. Maybe it's better to call them plain old cold and call the wind chill adv airmasses "man cold".

It's a very sensitive group. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

See some talk about jet extensions across the Pacific...why exactly would that imply or favor across the US...would it increase likelihood for a more zonal type pattern?  Is there an importance to this or is just like cool to see?

Those extensions usually lead to breaks or trough near the west coast. That in turn would mean milder weather in the east. Something usually feeds the jet and causes it to extend, whether it's blowoff from tropical convection..or just typical rossby wave (or storminess) that causes a fast Pac jet.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Those extensions usually lead to breaks or trough near the west coast. That in turn would mean milder weather in the east. Something usually feeds the jet and causes it to extend, whether it's blowoff from tropical convection..or just typical rossby wave (or storminess) that causes a fast Pac jet.

Thanks!  Looking at the graphics and such this looks like a pretty impressive extension being modeled, no?  Would mountain torque also play a role in where breaks/trough occurs? 

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Depends mostly on the terrain. Even in the same town you can have one location in a valley 1kft and another on top of a hill at 1kft. Both could potentially see drastically different conditions on radiational cooling nights. I won't speak for your example as I haven't analyzed the terrain for your CWOP site and the COOP...just throwing it out there.

Could be.  They are along a river...but not much of a valley

Warming up nicely

Archived