joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

mattie g

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a winter weather junkie/weenie going on 17 years now (30 years old, been on wx forums since Wright-Weather) I've learned that some winters snow finds a way & other winters it finds a way not to snow. It really looked like we had a legit shot at some significant snow this week & next, but things have trended to crap. I hope this isn't a sign for this winter going forward. We'll see. Off 2 work just wanted to vent. It sucks because you wait 8 months for winter, then December basically comes & goes without a snowstorm and you're down to 3 legit winter months left. 

51 minutes ago, mattie g said:

That's definitely funny since the Midwest rarely gets more than 20 inches in any storm.

No kidding.  Green Bay (referenced since they call out the Packers) has had exactly 1 storm over 20" in the last 130 years and only 9 or 10 over 10" in the last 65 years.  Little ole Clarksburg has had eight 10"-ers and three 20+"-ers in the just the last 7 years two of which exceeded the 24" greatest storm total in GB.  

GRB-POR-MAX-24hS.gif

16 minutes ago, das said:

No kidding.  Green Bay (referenced since they call out the Packers) has had exactly 1 storm over 20" in the last 130 years and only 9 or 10 over 10" in the last 65 years.  Little ole Clarksburg has had eight 10"-ers and three 20+"-ers in the just the last 7 years two of which exceeded the 24" greatest storm total in GB.  

GRB-POR-MAX-24hS.gif

Very true that the Midwest generally doesn't get the big ones we do out here.  You do have to be careful with the "calendar day" part of this, though, as some of ours wouldn't look as good by that metric either.

Since moving into my house in 2009, I have 3 snowstorms that are better than #4 on Minneapolis' list.  Interesting part is that theirs are clustered too.  5 of the top 12 storms are either form 1982 or 1985. 

edit - another interesting thing from this list, only 5 of the top-20 storms are in Jan/Feb.  Really shows how the moisture supply matters.

Top Twenty Snowfalls in the Twin Cities: 1891-2016

Top Twenty Largest Snowfalls for Twin Cities

1.  28.4 inches: 1991 October 31 - November 3 (Halloween Blizzard)
2.  21.1 inches: 1985 November 29 - December 1 
3.  20.0 inches: 1982 January 22 - 23
4.  17.4 inches: 1982 January 20 - 21
5.  17.1 inches: 2010 December 10 - 11
6.  16.8 inches: 1940 November 11 - 12  (Armistice Day)
7.  16.7 inches: 1985 March 3 - 4
7.  16.7 inches: 1940 March 11 - 14 (tie)
9.  16.5 inches: 1982 December 27 - 28
10. 16.0 inches: 1917 January 20 - 21
10. 16.0 inches: 1999 March 8 - 9 (tie)
12. 14.7 inches: 1985 March 31
13. 14.3 inches: 1991 November 29 - 30
14. 14.1 inches: 1952 March 22 -23
15. 13.8 inches: 2011 February 20-21
16. 13.6 inches: 1966 March 22-23
16. 13.6 inches: 1983 April 14 (tie)
18. 13.0 inches: 1907 April 27-28
19. 12.9 inches: 1908 December 16-18
19. 12.9 inches: 1962 March 10-13 (tie)

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Very true that the Midwest generally doesn't get the big ones we do out here.  You do have to be careful with the "calendar day" part of this, though, as some of ours wouldn't look as good by that metric either.

Yup, understood. Their greatest snowfall was 27.something over 2 days. Our January storm this year would look like a 15" storm and an 18" storm on two separate days for me. 

9 hours ago, mattie g said:

Hardywood Christmas Morning is coming to stores this week. May have the make the rounds to see if I can score a couple bottles to age.

Kentucky Christmas Morning is an altogether different proposition. That stuff is virtually impossible to find unless you take the day off to wait at one of the local retailers. Just hoping Hardywood's new production facility will mean a little more on the shelves this year, and the possibility of finding one somewhere.

My buddies and I might make a day of it in Richmond next year for the Christmas Morning release at Hardywood. Coming away with four bottles of each, along with possibly Rum Barrel GBS would be well worth the trip!

Found Christmas Morning at a local Toal Wine, but they're only selling one per person. Need to hit up a couple more local stores to find a couple more.

my satisfaction level for Saturday would just be to get enough snow for my 2 year old to be able to play in the snow for an hour before it goes to rain.  Probably 2" would e more then enough, might a well be a foot to him.  The other day we had a coating but it melted and blew away before he got to go out in it, and he was so sad.  He was so excited when it snowed, was jumping up and down and yelling snow snow, then an hour later when it was gone he literally cried and said "Oh no, snow all gone".  I had to promise him it would snow again soon to get him to cheer up.  Just give me 2" so he can play in the snow and I am totally happy.  Then of course a foot next week!

Obviously this December is LIGHT YEARS greater than last and a few before it. Thats my take. Snow vs no snow is the subject here usually, and rightly so. But I will take a variable/cold icy stormy pattern any day. Seems like we never get ice storms anymore. Back in the mid late 90s and early 2000s they were common. We will see. It's just nice to see something to track even though the pattern as a whole is tough for snow. That's fine. It's better than 70 and sunny.

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I agree with you - I remain very interested in Saturday AM. Last year was a crap show in December, if we can even get an inch out of this before rain, it is better than 2015 December. 

I think CAPE will start a thread.  Or you can.  

Is it just me or does anyone else think this place seem less...equipped...to deal with a below average snow season than before? I mean we've always melted down with threats looking worse as the time gets closer, and there's always the negativity about the down times in winter (unless it's constant tracking like January to March 2014). But I feel like today is kind of early in the season for the "shut it all down" posts. Like, if we do wake up with white ground Saturday morning, it doesn't seem like there will be much of the wonder/happiness associated with the first event of the season. 

I get that much of that's because of the idea that it will just melt away anyway. But I think it's also because we're out of practice with experiencing multiple dreadful winters in a row.  

51 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think this place seem less...equipped...to deal with a below average snow season than before? I mean we've always melted down with threats looking worse as the time gets closer, and there's always the negativity about the down times in winter (unless it's constant tracking like January to March 2014). But I feel like today is kind of early in the season for the "shut it all down" posts. Like, if we do wake up with white ground Saturday morning, it doesn't seem like there will be much of the wonder/happiness associated with the first event of the season. 

I get that much of that's because of the idea that it will just melt away anyway. But I think it's also because we're out of practice with experiencing multiple dreadful winters in a row.  

It's the bold part, but it's also the information at our fingertips and the ability to get down about something that may have never had a chance in hell of occurring except on long-range model output. SO many of us have been there and done that for so long that any wonder and surprise is gone.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived