Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

mattie g

On 12/8/2016 at 6:27 PM, Deck Pic said:

DCA-ORD midday Saturday and back Monday night.  Looking forward to it.  I think 8-10"+ is realistic.  It is a 2-part event, though it might keep snowing during the lull.  Ratios should be really good for part 1.  There is a modest risk of some mixing for part 2, but crossing fingers.  GFS (below) got completely b**ch slapped by the Euro and finally caved.  Through yesterday it had a weak frontrunning wave and nothing else.  

lnCor52.png

LOT going 5-10" for lakeshore. I think they'll upgrade from a WWA to a warning. 12z models have come in pretty wet so far. Should be a long event. 24 hours +. Perhaps with a lull in the middle 

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be some fun games to watch tomorrow if you like snow games. Locally scheduled for our area, we've got the Bills and Steelers at 1PM, and then the Hawks at the Pack in the late game. Possible snow in Buffalo but definite in Green Bay. For the Direct TV folks, Cleveland is a snow game at 1 also. Maybe the Ravens at Pats too.

It'll be a good day to sit on the couch after our Christmas party tonight and relax with what's left of our homebrew. We brewed two beers, an oyster stout and a bourbon oak pumpkin ale. Both are delicious! 

I love the holidays!

50308050808__5C2E557B-51AE-4D29-BCDB-5AF4FF7FC66B.JPG

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

There should be some fun games to watch tomorrow if you like snow games. Locally scheduled for our area, we've got the Bills and Steelers at 1PM, and then the Hawks at the Pack in the late game. Possible snow in Buffalo but definite in Green Bay. For the Direct TV folks, Cleveland is a snow game at 1 also. Maybe the Ravens at Pats too.

It'll be a good day to sit on the couch after our Christmas party tonight and relax with what's left of our homebrew. We brewed two beers, an oyster stout and a bourbon oak pumpkin ale. Both are delicious! 

I love the holidays!

50308050808__5C2E557B-51AE-4D29-BCDB-5AF4FF7FC66B.JPG

Nice. Bourbon oak pumpkin seems festive.

On December 9, 2016 at 0:09 PM, Eskimo Joe said:

It's silly to use that piece of garbage to further his thesis.

The whole white Xmas thing is silly in general when it's a wing and a prayer type thing around here and outside a few days out a crap shoot to predict. But everyone does it for fun. And what exactly should he use from that range?  Post some tea leaves or the almanac?  It's supposed to be fun. FUN. Of course you wouldn't know anything about that. 

I finished my "winter mow" today. Not that it needed it but got the grass cut nice and low so as not to mess up my snow in our 2-3" events. I felt like a Popsicle by the time I was done. I know I need help. Been so busy between work and coaching and the wife working when I'm not so on baby duty. Finally had a chance to get it done. Nothing like riding a tractor mowing in 25 degrees with a nice breeze. 

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I finished my "winter mow" today. Not that it needed it but got the grass cut nice and low so as not to mess up my snow in our 2-3" events. I felt like a Popsicle by the time I was done. I know I need help. Been so busy between work and coaching and the wife working when I'm not so on baby duty. Finally had a chance to get it done. Nothing like riding a tractor mowing in 25 degrees with a nice breeze. 

Ha, that was me today too.  No more leaves or tufts of onion grass to stick above our eventual inch of snow here and there..  It took me like 30 pulls to get the grumpy, hibernating mower started and I'm sure my neighbors thought I was an idiot.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I did the same!

Cold is so much more tolerable without wind.  Today wasn't too bad overall.  I'm ready for a snowstorm.  Actually, a snowy December, mild Jan, snowy Feb would be ideal.  I have zero interest in long stretches of cold without any snow to show for it.  I'll take temps in the 50s instead so if we can score some snow next week, I'm in.

3 hours ago, das said:

Ha, that was me today too.  No more leaves or tufts of onion grass to stick above our eventual inch of snow here and there..  It took me like 30 pulls to get the grumpy, hibernating mower started and I'm sure my neighbors thought I was an idiot.

Yea it took me a good 5 minutes to get the tractor going.  It didn't  like the cold that's for sure.  We definitely have "issues" lol

7 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I'm going away for business for a week starting this morning. I'll be in AZ where it's 70+ through most of week. I'm sure we'll get hit with a storm next weekend just so I miss it. Mother Nature is like that. 

If the models are correct and we do get a major ice storm you might be the lucky one. Used to love ice storms, at least until the major one we had 3 years? ago. Tree split and came down on our power line leading to the house bringing the line to the ground. Cleared the tree from the line and after much fighting with the local power company I ended having to rerun the line myself with the help of a neighbor. I avoid dealing with electric after an incident when I was much younger so I did not enjoy this whatsoever. Of course after the fact I did learn that even with all the power shut off that you can still get a lethal electrical charge running back through the line. Needless to say next time I will pay prime dollars for a private contractor and not be such a cheap SOB. :)

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

If the models are correct and we do get a major ice storm you might be the lucky one. Used to love ice storms, at least until the major one we had 3 years? ago. Tree split and came down on our power line leading to the house bringing the line to the ground. Cleared the tree from the line and after much fighting with the local power company I ended having to rerun the line myself with the help of a neighbor. I avoid dealing with electric after an incident when I was much younger so I did not enjoy this whatsoever. Of course after the fact I did learn that even with all the power shut off that you can still get a lethal electrical charge running back through the line. Needless to say next time I will pay prime dollars for a private contractor and not be such a cheap SOB. :)

Wow, that's a rough go of it. I'm not the biggest fan of ice storms, although I think they are fascinating weather phenomena. I know I can't control weather, so I just want to see the most wintery outlook I can for an event. I'm a Met with a weather weenie heart, but I can't wish cast stuff to happen. Just have to take what it gives you and relay what models show leading up and then watch it unfold. I don't get mad at missing stuff, just a little sad lol

1 hour ago, BTRWx said:

I can see how my comment may be taken differently than my intentions.  They have so much on their plate is all.

I didn't take it one way or the other, just curious. Things will change rather dramatically in the next few years with the NWS. Basically we're all going to become mini WCMs.      

6 minutes ago, isohume said:

Things will change rather dramatically in the next few years with the NWS. Basically we're all going to become mini WCMs.      

Seems odd.  While liaisoning between users and WFO products is a critical task, the portfolio of work activities for a OpMet is so much broader.  What am I missing here?

13 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It's amazing to see how one run inspires hope here. 

LOTR taught us that there is always hope.  Even when facing insurmountable odds and the orcs are bashing in our gates, Gandalf the white(Wes) will come riding down the hill at the last moment blinding the Sunangle's evil army and leading us to victory!!!!

1 hour ago, das said:

Seems odd.  While liaisoning between users and WFO products is a critical task, the portfolio of work activities for a OpMet is so much broader.  What am I missing here?

It's all part of the IDSS initiative and building "deep relationships" with our core partners. Basically HQ wants less time in the grids and more time holding the hands of decision makers. Some offices could become part-time and others moved. It's being tested in CR currently. 

36 minutes ago, mappy said:

can we ban snow maps posted by people who take them at face value? 

So mentioning the snowfall output of a model with the disclaimer that it is probably including sleet means I seriously believe it? A day 5 mixed bag storm at that? With models that have been all over the place? I highly doubt anyone took that seriously except some newbies. I can't understand why people feel the need to be so highly critical of others in these threads. IT is supposed to be an environment where people get together to enjoy their passion for weather. Not a place where many feel like they are walking on egg shells when ever they post.

9 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

So mentioning the snowfall output of a model with the disclaimer that it is probably including sleet means I seriously believe it? A day 5 mixed bag storm at that? With models that have been all over the place? I highly doubt anyone took that seriously except some newbies. I can't understand why people feel the need to be so highly critical of others in these threads. IT is supposed to be an environment where people get together to enjoy their passion for weather. Not a place where many feel like they are walking on egg shells when ever they post.

Ill never understand why snow maps need to be posted to begin with. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived