joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

mattie g

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might do a combo chase/visit friends in Chicago this weekend.  Euro per its bias likes a long duration event lasting like 30+ hours..lol...GFS consolidates everything into the lead wave, but still dumps 4-5" on the lake shore in around 12 hours.  A few inches is certainly enough to merit a visit to friends who I routinely visit in nice weather anyway.

Hi folks. First posting over here. I post in SE Forum mainly (when I do post). I decided to pop in here and gauge the attitude of the people in this forum. I'm in that fine line between MA and SE since I'm at the Virginia line just below Chesapeake/Virginia Beach. We (the Hampton Roads area) seem to get left out in a lot of discussions. Hence, the reason I lurk over here from time to time. I like reading BobChill and his analysis. I see him pop into the SE Forum from time to time and I always look forward to his take on models and the analytical approach he uses to explain things. You might see me post here a little more often. Only time will tell.

BTW, I'm pulling for you guys next week!!

Got a question.. I think it's safe to assume everyone here loves the snow, so what is it preventing you from moving somewhere that gets a lot of snow? Not being rude, just genuinely curious. I myself used to live in the Keweenaw Peninsula (230" a year) and it was great! Was forced down to DC for family reasons. Have to say I've grown a liking to winter here though.. Snow everyday can take its toll.

On 12/7/2016 at 5:06 PM, Deck Pic said:

Might do a combo chase/visit friends in Chicago this weekend.  Euro per its bias likes a long duration event lasting like 30+ hours..lol...GFS consolidates everything into the lead wave, but still dumps 4-5" on the lake shore in around 12 hours.  A few inches is certainly enough to merit a visit to friends who I routinely visit in nice weather anyway.

DCA-ORD midday Saturday and back Monday night.  Looking forward to it.  I think 8-10"+ is realistic.  It is a 2-part event, though it might keep snowing during the lull.  Ratios should be really good for part 1.  There is a modest risk of some mixing for part 2, but crossing fingers.  GFS (below) got completely b**ch slapped by the Euro and finally caved.  Through yesterday it had a weak frontrunning wave and nothing else.  

lnCor52.png

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Preparing myself.

stock-video-number-4-on-fire-8299.jpg

No no no no no :) 

Maybe I'm just desensitized having grown up in this area, but there have been so many miserable winters I've lived through that if we were to lose the entire month of December, that wouldn't even begin to register on my panic scale. Like even 08/09 doesn't belong in the trash-heap pile of worst winters--- yes, the DC area didn't get our first inch until late January, and it was basically a two event season. I submit that the calibration of the despair index is off. Like 5 or higher should be off limits until February 1st. But I get that few would agree with my 30-40 year long-view....

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I know brother I know...but you know how we are. Every day it doesn't snow is one less opportunity for us to have a good winter lol. 

Going back to the virus analogy. Ever since the catnip posts, more and more people have been getting infected. I was hoping we had squashed the spread after a good set of model runs, but as we learn every year, the panic virus is tricky. 

Also, there's NO way most of us could survive a shutout in the first two months of met winter. You're special ;) 

Yeah, you're probably right. Not a complete shutout until February. A couple of minor events, even if they don't hit 1", would stave off the panic for me. I always think back to 95/96 and how I'm so glad I got to experience that winter *without* an internet weather board. A repeat of late December 1995 would be pretty ugly in this subforum, especially considering that NYC and Boston were getting in on the snow while the DC area was left with the sloppy sleet crap-show. Then, 1/3/96 would initiate the Jebman rage post against New England. 

And the great blizzard itself? It would have been fun in the anticipation phase on this board, but a repeat of the day-of-experience would be a total roller-coaster. Can you imagine the dark turn the thread would have taken when the sleet started mixing in at DCA with no sleet in the forecast? And then the dry-slot lull. And then waiting forever for the backlash. 

6 hours ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Got a question.. I think it's safe to assume everyone here loves the snow, so what is it preventing you from moving somewhere that gets a lot of snow? Not being rude, just genuinely curious. I myself used to live in the Keweenaw Peninsula (230" a year) and it was great! Was forced down to DC for family reasons. Have to say I've grown a liking to winter here though.. Snow everyday can take its toll.

It's late, but off the top of my head, two of the big reasons I stay here in spite of my love for snow are the Chesapeake Bay and the length of winter. Snow is great, but the trade off for a lot of snow is a winter that can start in October and last into April, and for me, that's way too long.

4 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Yeah, you're probably right. Not a complete shutout until February. A couple of minor events, even if they don't hit 1", would stave off the panic for me. I always think back to 95/96 and how I'm so glad I got to experience that winter *without* an internet weather board. A repeat of late December 1995 would be pretty ugly in this subforum, especially considering that NYC and Boston were getting in on the snow while the DC area was left with the sloppy sleet crap-show. Then, 1/3/96 would initiate the Jebman rage post against New England. 

And the great blizzard itself? It would have been fun in the anticipation phase on this board, but a repeat of the day-of-experience would be a total roller-coaster. Can you imagine the dark turn the thread would have taken when the sleet started mixing in at DCA with no sleet in the forecast? And then the dry-slot lull. And then waiting forever for the backlash. 

If I am remembering correctly this board did exist back in 95/96 though it has migrated several times since. Just had moved back from California a week or two before the 96 storm and came across this board by chance. As I remember it, the 96 storm was advertised well in advance by the models (week or more) and except for an occasional wobble they basically locked onto a solution for the duration. The 96 storm would later become a major milestone in the progression of models to accurately forecast beyond a 3-5 day window. The boards were hopping and any melt downs (though we had far fewer back then, then we see now) were nipped in the bud pretty quickly by the reasoned explanations of model tendencies by a gentleman who frequented these boards called Dr Gray https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Gray . (RIP Dr Gray who I see passed away in April). All in all, those early years, and especially the lead up to the 96 storm, were the finest on these boards for me and I think you would have probably enjoyed it as well. 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Maybe we should all agree as a forum to stop mentioning the 6z runs each morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps just stop looking at the GFS altogether.........even though it has been great lately.  I just don't like what it shows! :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Looking at heat advisories Christmas day. 

Wouldn't be any different than normal for me, haha. Heading on up there today for the move (yay). But I gotta say, I looked at the 16 day for the GFS the first time to day and I just have to remain hopeful that I am, in fact, moving to a place where snow occurs.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived