• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

mattie g

Sorry I twisted your mind into a pretzel with the canSIPS talk.

Before you put me in a bodybag....just remember it will get cold this winter. And it will snow. It will be ok. 

Or it won't. Either way, the canSIPs on 12/1 isn't pointing the way. Nor is posting it five times. The utility for those models is pretty crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bad. So he did. Still a beatdown of that model. And flogging a climo model with that performance to shape narrative heading into the winter remains trolling in my book. Regardless, new guy, troll away.

Also, new guy, you keep making assumptions about negative reactions to your pimping the canSIPS that don't really hold. Not a lot of love for those models on these boards regardless of what they say. Also, whether I want snow or not isn't going to make it snow or not snow. I am happy with snow, for sure. But I am not so invested in things I cannot control that it shapes my response to things on here. Point is, I view models like the canSIPS pretty negatively with respect to ability to forecast where things are going months hence. Same with Euro weeklies, CFS, or any of the others.

In any event, I have my sunscreen ready and having a pool installed in January to get ready for the warmth after Jan. 1.

6 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Looks like there may be snow on my moving day, if long range models are correct (11th-12th). Crossed fingers!

Been there, done that. Take my word for it, you don't want to be moving things into your new residence when it is snowing and there is snow on the ground. It down right sucks.

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Been there, done that. Take my word for it, you don't want to be moving things into your new residence when it is snowing and there is snow on the ground. It down right sucks.

Yeah.... I actually really would like to be moved in first and THEN snow. We're actually going to be getting there on the 11th, so maybe I move in, and really quickly get snow right after?

18 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

My bad. So he did. Still a beatdown of that model. And flogging a climo model with that performance to shape narrative heading into the winter remains trolling in my book. Regardless, new guy, troll away.

Also, new guy, you keep making assumptions about negative reactions to your pimping the canSIPS that don't really hold. Not a lot of love for those models on these boards regardless of what they say. Also, whether I want snow or not isn't going to make it snow or not snow. I am happy with snow, for sure. But I am not so invested in things I cannot control that it shapes my response to things on here. Point is, I view models like the canSIPS pretty negatively with respect to ability to forecast where things are going months hence. Same with Euro weeklies, CFS, or any of the others.

In any event, I have my sunscreen ready and having a pool installed in January to get ready for the warmth after Jan. 1.

Certainly not new to meteorology. I can tell you are a weather hobbyist which I'm sure is fun and entertaining for you. Tangible weather within 48-72 hours probably excites you because you don't like to wait for the results of model watching for longer than a couple days. I understand it and have no problem with it. 

But here is what you don't understand or don't care to understand. In the world of meteorologists, there is much more to short term weather. Most make a living working in the AG and energy sectors where businesses pay them good money to hedge supply movements. 1-3 month lead times are expected, with general accuracy by clients. So guess what tools are used to make the clients forecasts? Yes, the exact ones you just said this board doesn't need to post because they are useless. 

For your hobby on "these boards" you can flame away on the seasonals and weeklies. However, the reality is they are used everyday by mets who make a living providing seasonal forecast services. 

I imagine you won't care what I'm explaing because it isn't exciting but you don't help yourself by trying to explain to me how the met business works on a forum platform. 

Have a blessed day. 

When I said "new guy" I meant new to the board.

So you are.

And, awesome, talking down to me and others. If you are red-tagged, then get you a red tag. But it won't change my view on you canSIPPing a narrative on day 1 of met winter. In fact, I love to watch models in the long range, but also, believe it or not, sure as crap don't get all excited about Day 12 snowstorms on the GFS. I even subscribe to weather bell. I have some tiny skill at looking at maps and models, in large part from what I have learned on this board. But, sure, 2 days and nothing for me. You have me pegged.

Your tone in this is kinda ****. Welcome to the board. Have a day.

38 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This forum is dead compared with previous years. A lot of regulars are missing. I don't know whether it has to do with PR moving or what...

give it time. once there is a serious threat a lot of the regulars will be back. 

30 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

When I said "new guy" I meant new to the board.

So you are.

And, awesome, talking down to me and others. If you are red-tagged, then get you a red tag. But it won't change my view on you canSIPPing a narrative on day 1 of met winter. In fact, I love to watch models in the long range, but also, believe it or not, sure as crap don't get all excited about Day 12 snowstorms on the GFS. I even subscribe to weather bell. I have some tiny skill at looking at maps and models, in large part from what I have learned on this board. But, sure, 2 days and nothing for me. You have me pegged.

Your tone in this is kinda ****. Welcome to the board. Have a day.

I haven't talked down to anyone. If you feel I talked down to you it was probably after the 3rd time you called me a "troll" out of nowhere for posting a model in a disco thread. Or maybe when you said I was an "idiot." I'll respond to that...who wouldn't?

I don't get offended in life because that won't get me anywhere but I can see why in these forums, posters like you run off the people who have the most to offer. 

You just talked down to me. Congrats.

I apologize for not genuflecting with joy over your canSIP prowess. Please, canSIP as much as humanly possible. This board was truly suffering for not enough canSIP talk before you arrived. I definitely don't want to run anyone off, and especially not you, and will make absolutely certain I know my place going forward, which is to not ever respond to anything other than to throw bouquets of thanks at my weather betters.

So, thanks for arriving at this board to save us from abject ignorance. I had been led astray over the years by Wes Junker and others on here, but now my eyes are clear.

2 hours ago, Round Hill WX said:

Certainly not new to meteorology. I can tell you are a weather hobbyist which I'm sure is fun and entertaining for you. Tangible weather within 48-72 hours probably excites you because you don't like to wait for the results of model watching for longer than a couple days. I understand it and have no problem with it. 

But here is what you don't understand or don't care to understand. In the world of meteorologists, there is much more to short term weather. Most make a living working in the AG and energy sectors where businesses pay them good money to hedge supply movements. 1-3 month lead times are expected, with general accuracy by clients. So guess what tools are used to make the clients forecasts? Yes, the exact ones you just said this board doesn't need to post because they are useless. 

For your hobby on "these boards" you can flame away on the seasonals and weeklies. However, the reality is they are used everyday by mets who make a living providing seasonal forecast services. 

I imagine you won't care what I'm explaing because it isn't exciting but you don't help yourself by trying to explain to me how the met business works on a forum platform. 

Have a blessed day. 

You can say what you want, and I'm sure with the right data and words you can try to make them accurate, but those things are darts and a dartboard.

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

ha! i don't have the power to ban people anyways. 

And if you banned yourself (because you mentioned cansips) , you couldn't have been the one to ban yourself (because you're banned)  which means you weren't banned and then you could ban yourself, which then means ....

:lol: 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived