Newest Member
    joxey
ULL, up slope snow LES, Squalls winds 11-20-22

Ginx snewx

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Do we have the usual sledder's lament, i.e. I'd like to see the ground freeze first or do we just say bring it on as long as its white?

Sure, Everyone wants to see the ground freeze first, That would be ideal, But in a lot of cases, Its does not workout that way, So my motto is any snow is good snow.....:)

I'm hearing 2 day totals of 24-30" in ENY near the MA border, mostly above 1200ft.  And 8-20" from 500-1000ft.  Biggest snowstorm since at least October 2011, and in some cases much longer for that region.  And there are still streamers impacting the area.  Upslope is common around there but very rarely more than 12".  I waited years for this storm but moved away 1 year too early.  Congrats to everyone who saw good snow.  May this season spread the wealth to all.

24 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I'm hearing 2 day totals of 24-30" in ENY near the MA border, mostly above 1200ft.  And 8-20" from 500-1000ft.  Biggest snowstorm since at least October 2011, and in some cases much longer for that region.  And there are still streamers impacting the area.  Upslope is common around there but very rarely more than 12".  I waited years for this storm but moved away 1 year too early.  Congrats to everyone who saw good snow.  May this season spread the wealth to all.

Damn dude, your taking that way better than I would. Are you still in the ALB area? Hope your in one those elevated east slope towns that can get porked on E/Se flow.

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

Powder, where are the pics of the picnic tables?  Your very quiet during this event

Trying to open a ski resort, lol.  Very very busy right now...not as free to just wander aimlessly like in October ha.

Very wind-blown on hill for the first part of the event but that's changing since 12pm.  Probably an inch per hour averaging since that time.We'll see how long this can hold on. 

I've got a chairlift ride at 8am tomorrow to really get up and check things out.  Snowfall at Stowe ranges from a lot of 0-6" on the trails and like 12-18" in the woods lol.  I haven't seen wind like that in a long time and I can tell you the picnic tables have nothing on them even though its been snowing for 36 hours.

Radar looks great now though, the 30dbz are blowing 1-3"/hr rates depending on wind and how easily these huge fluffy dendrites can stack.  A windy spot might be only a half inch per hour while a calm location could be doing 2"/hr.

Nov_21.gif

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

How does that compare to average?

Avg first 32F high (or lower) is Nov 27th...I don't have one for purely sub-freezing, but I'd assume it's pretty close to the 32F number, probably a couple days later. Either way, Nov 21st would def be a bit earlier than usual.

Can't believe how much lake effect is out in central NY...BGM with like 20". That's not typical there. ITH will probably be in double digits...I only saw one lake effect snow event in my time there that cracked double digits and it was very localized off Lake Cayuga, not hugely widespread like this one over central NY. Their preferred wind direction is like 340...not 300 like it is in this event.

But all the stars lined up for extreme efficiency...the early season nature which means the lakes are still really warm, the exceptional synoptic moisture and remnant TROWAL, and the duration of the flow...kind of sat there and spun north of VT for a full day. It really wasn't pure LES if we're being technical...the synoptic support has allowed it to be as prolific as it has been.

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Cold temps preferred before any blanket of snow.

Once there's much over a foot (assuming we ever get there, unlike last "winter"), it probably matters less - sufficient snow to work with and any frost will gradually thaw from below.  In the north country, even when we had early cold with little/no snow OG, the ground under a tall Jan-Feb pack would be unfrozen.  Frost before snow sure helps with the early going, though.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can't believe how much lake effect is out in central NY...BGM with like 20". That's not typical there. ITH will probably be in double digits...I only saw one lake effect snow event in my time there that cracked double digits and it was very localized off Lake Cayuga, not hugely widespread like this one over central NY. Their preferred wind direction is like 340...not 300 like it is in this event.

But all the stars lined up for extreme efficiency...the early season nature which means the lakes are still really warm, the exceptional synoptic moisture and remnant TROWAL, and the duration of the flow...kind of sat there and spun north of VT for a full day. It really wasn't pure LES if we're being technical...the synoptic support has allowed it to be as prolific as it has been.

its a beautiful thing

GOES20302016326eKsqP5.jpg

Archived