Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL, up slope snow LES, Squalls winds 11-20-22

Ginx snewx

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can't believe how much lake effect is out in central NY...BGM with like 20". That's not typical there. ITH will probably be in double digits...I only saw one lake effect snow event in my time there that cracked double digits and it was very localized off Lake Cayuga, not hugely widespread like this one over central NY. Their preferred wind direction is like 340...not 300 like it is in this event.

But all the stars lined up for extreme efficiency...the early season nature which means the lakes are still really warm, the exceptional synoptic moisture and remnant TROWAL, and the duration of the flow...kind of sat there and spun north of VT for a full day. It really wasn't pure LES if we're being technical...the synoptic support has allowed it to be as prolific as it has been.

Never mind that this event represents half of last season's total.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can't believe how much lake effect is out in central NY...BGM with like 20". That's not typical there. ITH will probably be in double digits...I only saw one lake effect snow event in my time there that cracked double digits and it was very localized off Lake Cayuga, not hugely widespread like this one over central NY. Their preferred wind direction is like 340...not 300 like it is in this event.

But all the stars lined up for extreme efficiency...the early season nature which means the lakes are still really warm, the exceptional synoptic moisture and remnant TROWAL, and the duration of the flow...kind of sat there and spun north of VT for a full day. It really wasn't pure LES if we're being technical...the synoptic support has allowed it to be as prolific as it has been.

I saw one mega LES event which was not from FLES, the flow was about 310 and it was a mega band coming down from Ontario like this event but slightly to the NE.  Think we picked up around a foot of snow which was super impressive for a LES event but like this it was a hybrid.  From the ground reports it looks like Ithaca / Cornell just missed the heaviest snow which was just SW of the city proper (maybe IC saw more snow).

...TOMPKINS COUNTY...
   CAROLINE CENTER       20.3   801 AM 11/21  15.7 LAST 25 HRS.
   1 ESE GROTON          10.9   700 AM 11/21  9.1 24 HRS
   2 NE FREEVILLE        10.1   700 AM 11/21  7.9 PAST 24 HRS
   DRYDEN                 9.0   912 AM 11/21  FACEBOOK
   WNW TRUMANSBURG        8.1   615 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   1 SE ITHACA            7.0   700 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   ITHACA                 4.2   702 AM 11/21  TRAINED SPOTTER

That was this morning, game farm recorded 6 also this morning, which is NE of Cornell proper as you know.  Caroline Center maybe up to 26 or so inches by now which is unheard of for them.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=bgm&product=PNS&issuedby=bgm

See if this updates by tonight.

42 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

my son skied on binghamton campus today.  good for them.

I had one good snow in my four years in ithaca.

2 hours ago, eduggs said:

I'm hearing 2 day totals of 24-30" in ENY near the MA border, mostly above 1200ft.  And 8-20" from 500-1000ft.  Biggest snowstorm since at least October 2011, and in some cases much longer for that region.  And there are still streamers impacting the area.  Upslope is common around there but very rarely more than 12".  I waited years for this storm but moved away 1 year too early.  Congrats to everyone who saw good snow.  May this season spread the wealth to all.

Welcome back to Albany......snow all around us, someday we'll cash in too lol. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean the gradients on these events are so awesome. Pain to forecast, but that's why we do what we do. The difference as the crow flies from ITH to Caroline Center is not very far. And you're talking half a foot to two feet.

It's like a 15 minute drive, lol. Must a nice gradient along Slaterville Springs.

Looks like it's ripping again in ITH...they'll prob crack 10" when it's all done, but I'd be kind of pissed missing 2 feet by a few miles. I used to hate how Cortland would sometimes score 12"+ in a multiband setup while we'd snow all day and get about 2".

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's like a 15 minute drive, lol. Must a nice gradient along Slaterville Springs.

Looks like it's ripping again in ITH...they'll prob crack 10" when it's all done, but I'd be kind of pissed missing 2 feet by a few miles. I used to hate how Cortland would sometimes score 12"+ in a multiband setup while we'd snow all day and get about 2".

All those poor freshmen wondering what the hell they got themselves into.

Must've been a great view from Bradfield, with the lake band just to the east of campus.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is a mini-blizzard of late jan 66, was talking with forky about it earlier.

Snowy evening and the Winter Storm Warning is definitely warranted as the roads and conditions are absolute crap, regardless of totals.  Visibility is low, the snow is dry powder that's sifting and blowing across the road surfaces. 

Total on the board is 6.3" and the snow depth is 7" but that's in the yard so probably an inch or so of grass until that gets packed down by more snow or heavier content stuff.

2L8A7987_edited-1.jpg

2L8A7992_edited-1.jpg

25 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Fascinating event on many levels in so many locales, haven't seen a localized NW Ct dump like that since I was a kid.

What about that trough that dumped like 8-9 inches in a few hours in the early evening over a tiny little sliver of western CT (I think maybe Washington or maybe it was slightly west of there was the jackpot) a few years back? Not as impressive as 16 inches, but that was an even more localized freak type of event.

41 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

What about that trough that dumped like 8-9 inches in a few hours in the early evening over a tiny little sliver of western CT (I think maybe Washington or maybe it was slightly west of there was the jackpot) a few years back? Not as impressive as 16 inches, but that was an even more localized freak type of event.

That was a Norlun in Jan '11, a few days before the blizzard. I believe a few spots picked up close to 15" in that. I had 7 or 8 north of New Haven. That was a great event, the first over several great events that month.

Archived