Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ULL, up slope snow LES, Squalls winds 11-20-22

Ginx snewx

22 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I forgot about that...we did get about 50" at my place, but it was over about a week. Was still impressive and unrelenting.  I was more talking about synoptic scale events.  And then there was the 100" in Oswego (where I worked) in a week in 2007.  Only downside was my house got like 8". But 10 miles north was pretty much a Mad Max movie set for a week.

50 inches of fluff gone in how many days, like Buffs 7 feet gone in like 48 hrs?

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

It was like the event right before the first blizzard that January.  Came in at about 4:30pm that afternoon/evening, and ramped up steadily over the course of the first hour, until it was very heavy til about 10:30 pm.   I didn't believe in the idea of the Norlund..then that event came in and changed my mind. 

Total fluff bomb. There were parts of CT that were solidly over 40" on that week between the norlun and the blizzard.

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

50 inches of fluff gone in how many days, like Buffs 7 feet gone in like 48 hrs?

Ha ha!  Fake snow, Fake snow!   LES is usually lower water content than New England boilerplate.  But I'll definitely take it.  Much easier to snowblow and more fun to play in!  

13 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nasty shadow down in SVT where Woodford got 26" and drops off to quickly down the east slopes. They short changed my 8.2" with 7.2" on the map.  Guess they didn't include my 1.0" report from 11/20.

Cxz5t3jXgAAPcGQ.jpg

Don't feel bad.  They completely ignored my 8 inch report.

44 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I really hope this thing doesn't go away. Really captured the spatial extent well. Maybe the absolute values of the highest snow amounts were off, but then again how often does any model nail the highest total?

unnamed.png

NWS needs to come up with some alternative funding to continue the support of that product, I have been looking at that model for the last year and it performs very consistent and much better then some of the other products they have out there

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

NWS needs to come up with some alternative funding to continue the support of that product, I have been looking at that model for the last year and it performs very consistent and much better then some of the other products they have out there

Cool map! Shows the LI "bullseye" in NW Suffolk  County, LI where i live, nailed it. We picked up about 1/2 inch, maybe a bit more. 

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Out of our hands. NCAR is separate from the NWS, so a different funding source (not that we have the money laying around to help). 

I do seriously worry about funding streams for the public weather enterprise in the coming years, but there's not much we can do about it at the moment. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Out of our hands. NCAR is separate from the NWS, so a different funding source (not that we have the money laying around to help). 

I do seriously worry about funding streams for the public weather enterprise in the coming years, but there's not much we can do about it at the moment. 

I see, That's unfortunate, But i see this a lot in other industries that useful products take the hit for lack of funding.

53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was way too QPF happy where it had the bullseye near MSS up through Montreal. 

Yeah it had this huge blob of 3"+ QPF to the northwest of the elevated terrain all up and down the river plain there...that definitely didn't end up panning out. The other models were more realistic there. Still a big storm, but there's a big difference between like 10-16" at MSS and 25-30"+, lol.

49 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

That's quite a target.  :)

November snow is rare down here, i will take it!

22 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You picked up more than me from the lake effect. ^_^

To be fair, the NW fetch over the LI Sound really helped to enhance that streamer right overhead, a mini-lake effect if you will. Happens more often on a NNE wind in the winter. But that is shocking that i got more than you. Also, the 4K NAM nailed the event for CT and LI, impressive performance. The snow totals were almost nailed to the mile around here.

Archived