• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

it feels nice to be out in t shirt today but I'm beginning to regret my bet with dorky. I don't ever remember it this boring as far as weather. I was telling my wife I got more mood swings than her lately cause of this weather. I need snow to be happy.... Seriously. I dread all year around to finally get some snow and than we get this stupid El Niño that just won't produce. I was afraid of 97-98 winter but this is worse at least than northwest areas had snow/mixed. Maybe uncle could pull up some info on snow totals for let's say Poughkeepsie for 97-98 winter or Albany I'm sure they got at least close to average. I'm really sad right now including losing my bet looks like a sure thing thanks forky

Yeah I think you need to find a much snowier climate...and yeah never bet against forky

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it feels nice to be out in t shirt today but I'm beginning to regret my bet with dorky. I don't ever remember it this boring as far as weather. I was telling my wife I got more mood swings than her lately cause of this weather. I need snow to be happy.... Seriously. I dread all year around to finally get some snow and than we get this stupid El Niño that just won't produce. I was afraid of 97-98 winter but this is worse at least than northwest areas had snow/mixed. Maybe uncle could pull up some info on snow totals for let's say Poughkeepsie for 97-98 winter or Albany I'm sure they got at least close to average. I'm really sad right now including losing my bet looks like a sure thing thanks forky

Not that I recall... We ended up below avg up here.

Well at least it doesn't look like constant mild and warm for the rest of December, We could even get in a little light snow according to the 18z GFS. I usually like these mild temps, but not during winter and the holidays. Just doesn't seem natural or in the spirit.

Long way to go. A decent cold shot around the time.

Plus December AO analogs that turned negative in February...

year.......temp...snowfall......Dec.......Jan.........Feb........Mar....... ave..AO...
2004-05...35.4....41.0"......+1.230...+0.356... -1.271... -1.348... -0.258
1951-52...37.0....19.7"......+1.987...+0.368... -1.747... -1.859... -0.313
1982-83...37.9....27.2"......+0.967...+1.359... -1.806... -0.567... -0.012
2006-07...37.3....12.4"......+2.282...+2.034... -1.307...+1.182...+1.048...

I think the ao will turn negative in late January and stay that way most of February...If that happens these are the analogs for el nino winters...It looks like 2006-07 is in the lead so far for the ao...the winter will continue to suck until then...

Not even the other strongest Ninos were this mild. This December is the complete inverse of Feb 2015 and I'm really curious what the final departures will be. I doubt it'll be +11 against Feb -11 but a +8.5 to +9.5 is plausible. 

I was agreeing with forky.  You left the second part out.

60 day analog outlook still indicates the place to be for winter lovers is Seattle, where mean value line of all the members is below the normal temperature line exclusively with little total area above this line.   This teleconnects with NYC's being above the normal nearly exclusively during the same time period.  Specifically, don't expect any real cold till second week of January.   This would have  to be just brief, accidental cold however, since most members are above the line anyway. 

97-98 was at least kinda wet and stormy, some here report a 5 incher in March but that did not happen in my neck of the woods( central NJ ) where we had a light dusting. I remember because they didn't bother to salt the streets and I slid my truck down a hill and broke an axle and I remember thinking I drove through the winter of 94 and the big one of 96 and yet I destroyed my truck in the warmest winter I ever remembered, in less than an inch of snow, which was gone by afternoon...

Not even the other strongest Ninos were this mild. This December is the complete inverse of Feb 2015 and I'm really curious what the final departures will be. I doubt it'll be +11 against Feb -11 but a +8.5 to +9.5 is plausible. 

It is the mildest I can remember in 53 years. BUt I can tell you that in my experience in these parts, when December stays mild, you can put the down parka and the shovel away for the winter. Sometimes, like in 95, we get a decent storm in Feb, where some people got 11 inches but I'm sure it was less here. Of course with climate change you can never tell what might happen, and you could just as likely get a blizzard in March. But I kinda doubt it.

Love this weather

Yes, it's fine, but my answer to people who love freakishly warm weather during colder months is that no one would be celebrating 30 degree temps in July; they would think the world is coming to an end....I think such warm temps are disconcerting, and I have seen several of them, with some freakish temps in January as well over the years...I remember maybe 2006 people walking around in shorts at the Philly zoo in Jan. The climate deniers say it has all happened before, but scientists point to those damning, stubborn facts and charts and you just know it ain't normal.....

Maybe the storm for next weekend wil work out if I keep cancelling this month. gfs was close to a phase.

I think we are going to be disappointed this winter my friend, but we have all seen boring winters before. I am one of those people who only shows up here in winter, and don't shy from the fact that I really don't know a lot about what some of the posters here are talking about. We all share a passion for the weather, but as I've noted before, mine is not one based in the natural sciences, but the social. The impact of weather on people and society is my interest, and I have developed a side interest in snow weenies as well, not just because I am one, but because they enjoy something that the vast majority of adults disdain. I have taken note of people's opinions and most I talk to feel this weather is a blessing. They don't care if its freakish. Hope we'll have something more to discuss in the upcoming months, but my guess is it stays snowless or nearly so this winter. We'll see.

Archived