• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

I think we are going to be disappointed this winter my friend, but we have all seen boring winters before. I am one of those people who only shows up here in winter, and don't shy from the fact that I really don't know a lot about what some of the posters here are talking about. We all share a passion for the weather, but as I've noted before, mine is not one based in the natural sciences, but the social. The impact of weather on people and society is my interest, and I have developed a side interest in snow weenies as well, not just because I am one, but because they enjoy something that the vast majority of adults disdain. I have taken note of people's opinions and most I talk to feel this weather is a blessing. They don't care if its freakish. Hope we'll have something more to discuss in the upcoming months, but my guess is it stays snowless or nearly so this winter. We'll see.

The pattern should change for the better next month.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's fine, but my answer to people who love freakishly warm weather during colder months is that no one would be celebrating 30 degree temps in July; they would think the world is coming to an end....I think such warm temps are disconcerting, and I have seen several of them, with some freakish temps in January as well over the years...I remember maybe 2006 people walking around in shorts at the Philly zoo in Jan. The climate deniers say it has all happened before, but scientists point to those damning, stubborn facts and charts and you just know it ain't normal.....

There's been plenty of warm streaks over the years but you have hard evidence that we have reached levels never seen in the historical record. This past fall was the warmest on record for the CONUS and we've seen several collective months this year registering close to or the warmest month. 

I think this is very concerning and not just another mild period. It's one thing to have a month register say a +2 to +4 for the month, which is already pretty warm but a +8, +9, +10 is absurd and we've been seeing these higher departures (above +4) on such a common basis that the public doesn't even realize how warm it's really been. They will this month though. 

And yes this comes after one of the most shocking February's we've ever seen in a warming climate, but extremes are the new normal apparently. 

There's been plenty of warm streaks over the years but you have hard evidence that we have reached levels never seen in the historical record. This past fall was the warmest on record for the CONUS and we've seen several collective months this year registering close to or the warmest month. 

I think this is very concerning and not just another mild period. It's one thing to have a month register say a +2 to +4 for the month, which is already pretty warm but a +8, +9, +10 is absurd and we've been seeing these higher departures (above +4) on such a common basis that the public doesn't even realize how warm it's really been. They will this month though. 

And yes this comes after one of the most shocking February's we've ever seen in a warming climate, but extremes are the new normal apparently. 

The situation is very serious, with only a certain large segment of the population of the USA who thinks climate change is some kind of hoax. Everyone else is in agreement that we are in dire straights. So no, I am not celebrating the warmth.

The situation is very serious, with only a certain large segment of the population of the USA who thinks climate change is some kind of hoax. Everyone else is in agreement that we are in dire straights. So no, I am not celebrating the warmth.

There is time remaining to mitigate the worst effects, we ought to remain focused and organized in thought and emotion. All hands on deck moment if you want to reach the other side in one piece. During the mid Miocene, New York's climate was similar to Miami and deciduous forests grew at the poles. This is where we are going if there is no serious response to the issues at hand.

The strong el nino on-top of the anthropogenic signal has provided a vivid preview of a normal winter in 2030-2040. The above normal winters of that era would be unrecognizable, or even unfathomable.

The pattern should change for the better next month.

It will get colder for sure, we might even slip in a decent storm, but the odds are it will mostly stay on the warmer side, probably in the 40's and low 50's. I doubt we see sustained cold in a winter like this. Last year was the first time I remember a snowless Dec followed by a snowy second half. Anyway, I'm getting too old to shovel.

There is time remaining to mitigate the worst effects, we ought to remain focused and organized in thought and emotion. All hands on deck moment if you want to reach the other side in one piece. During the mid Miocene, New York's climate was similar to Miami and deciduous forests grew at the poles. This is where we are going if there is no serious response to the issues at hand.

The strong el nino on-top of the anthropogenic signal has provided a vivid preview of a normal winter in 2030-2040. The above normal winters of that era would be unrecognizable, or even unfathomable.

I think you are entirely correct, but I don't have faith enough will be done. Certainly not here in the US, where, let's face it, many members of the majority in Congress either don't believe in climate change or financially bound to those who stand to lose if we were to change toward different forms of energy.

How does one, anticipated mild December in the midst of a strong ENSO event (warmest year,ever! According to 2m temps) clearly indicate AGW? But record levels of ice coverage on the Great Lakes last year didn't indicate global cooling? Even in the banter thread the hyperbole is astounding. I was under the impression AGW had its own thread on this site?

Nope, wrong again. By 2040, we will have warmed around .4C globally, a bit more than 1F in the mid-latitudes in winter where warming is greater. So the average winter month will be about 1F above the current normals. December would then average 38.5F instead of 37.5F; it would not average 45F+ as we've been seeing this month.

The current extreme warmth has little to do with anthropogenic global warming. The main reason for the mild weather is a strong +NAO/+EPO combined with a powerful El Nino.

What makes you soo certain? 

Just going by what all of the meteorologists and other people are saying. Weenies never lose hope. I never lost hope last winter. Also, El ninos are usually backloaded so not worried at all. Need the vortex to either split or shift. Plenty of time for that. Look on the bright side, it's not even winter yet :weenie:

It is the mildest I can remember in 53 years. BUt I can tell you that in my experience in these parts, when December stays mild, you can put the down parka and the shovel away for the winter. Sometimes, like in 95, we get a decent storm in Feb, where some people got 11 inches but I'm sure it was less here. Of course with climate change you can never tell what might happen, and you could just as likely get a blizzard in March. But I kinda doubt it.

Last December was very mild and NYC had 50" of snow with a -11F February.

It's common for December to be mild in a strong Nino even if the rest of the winter is warm; 57-58 is a great example. 82-83 had a +10F December with a 20" storm in February.

It will get colder for sure, we might even slip in a decent storm, but the odds are it will mostly stay on the warmer side, probably in the 40's and low 50's. I doubt we see sustained cold in a winter like this. Last year was the first time I remember a snowless Dec followed by a snowy second half. Anyway, I'm getting too old to shovel.

This winter should be mild than past winters but that doesn't mean that we will not reach our average snowfall for the area. I don't like a very cold winter since I have to work outside now. Also, snow blower ftw.

It's common for December to be mild in a strong Nino even if the rest of the winter is warm; 57-58 is a great example. 82-83 had a +10F December with a 20" storm in February.

Where do you get your baloney +10F December?

How does one, anticipated mild December in the midst of a strong ENSO event (warmest year,ever! According to 2m temps) clearly indicate AGW? But record levels of ice coverage on the Great Lakes last year didn't indicate global cooling? Even in the banter thread the hyperbole is astounding. I was under the impression AGW had its own thread on this site?

By itself maybe it doesn't. I just choose to accept that those who are experts in the field agree almost unanimously that we have a serious problem. I do not know enough about the science to critique them, anymore than I know enough to question a physician who says that smoking is bad for me. He has the training, I do not. To paraphrase Neil D Tyson, the science is true whether people choose to believe it or not. To me there is nothing really argue about. Climate change is, at least at present, settled science.

Nope, wrong again. By 2040, we will have warmed around .4C globally, a bit more than 1F in the mid-latitudes in winter where warming is greater. So the average winter month will be about 1F above the current normals. December would then average 38.5F instead of 37.5F; it would not average 45F+ as we've been seeing this month.

The current extreme warmth has little to do with anthropogenic global warming. The main reason for the mild weather is a strong +NAO/+EPO combined with a powerful El Nino.

If not now, then when? There will be a non-linear increase in temperature. How did you arrive at .4C? You should probably re-evaluate your stance and utilize critical thinking.

This el nino is no stronger than 97/98 (even a shade weaker?), yet you see stronger surface warmth worldwide? Why is this? It's simple, Ocean heat content is exploding worldwide and the GHG forcing is increasing atmospheric water vapor content.

This winter should be mild than past winters but that doesn't mean that we will not reach our average snowfall for the area. I don't like a very cold winter since I have to work outside now. Also, snow blower ftw.

But don't you think we are just due for a stinker? Not scientific but I can't remember having three snow winters in a row. And as some people point out here, we have had these kinds od Decembers before, but this one seems warmer or rather the warmth seems of more duration since the fall, and we all remember what a stinker 97-8 was. Actually, we had a number of mellow winters all through most of the 80's and even the 90's.

But don't you think we are just due for a stinker? Not scientific but I can't remember having three snow winters in a row. And as some people point out here, we have had these kinds od Decembers before, but this one seems warmer or rather the warmth seems of more duration since the fall, and we all remember what a stinker 97-8 was. Actually, we had a number of mellow winters all through most of the 80's and even the 90's.

A super warm, mostly snowless winter? Maybe not. Those don't happen a whole lot. I think it will be warmer than ones we have had lately, but we could still get cold and snow with the right timing of the storminess. Models have plenty of moisture around.

I know this is banter but that's a ridiculous assumption and incredibly false.

Archived