joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 2nd sleet storm in March was impressive tho, I remember emailing Henry Maguisity about it and he posted it to his blog because the sleet was that impressive, but central PA I think was getting a good snow out of it.

The Valentines Day  sleetstorm was more impressive. It started sleeting with temps in the teens.

021415.png

That 2nd sleet storm in March was impressive tho, I remember emailing Henry Maguisity about it and he posted it to his blog because the sleet was that impressive, but central PA I think was getting a good snow out of it.

Yeah, that one and the Valentine's Day storm were big snowmakers in this part of the state. But we also got a sizable sleet accumulation in the V-Day storm. The Arctic airmass that followed helped lock the pack in until Spring.

The ozone transport part is something that I haven't done much reading on. I need to look into that. I have seen some discussion on the tendency for the stronger early season PV to weaken later. As well as the modeling looking more optimistic moving forward. Getting more of an Aleutian low is key. So,yea, I agree with you. That's the reason I'm not worried too much right now. The warm Dec. isn't surprising to me, the magnitude of it might be though. I still think we find our way to near avg snowfall this year however.

In simple terms, ozone particles in the stratosphere absorb the sun's rays very effectively, increasing the temperature of the stratosphere. Ozone is transported from the equatorial regions to the poles, where it accumulates, by the Brewer-Dobson Circulation (BDC). The BDC is stronger in El Nino years, which should lead to a warmer polar stratosphere and thus a -AO.

History bears this out: the majority of our great -AO/-NAO blocks have occurred in El Ninos, with February 1958 and February 2010 being the most extreme examples. This also helps explain why Ninos have more Nor'easters.

We'll probably be able to wear shorts and a t-shirt for Christmas and New Year's. Awful and it'll make it tough to get into the holiday spirit, but we knew the first part of winter was gonna be very warm. We just have to hang in there. Things should get a lot better in mid to late January.

Very warm yes but +10 and up is absurd. I think this super holiday warm up is legit and it's unbelievable.

You could make a legit argument that some places would make a run at 80F if we get enough sunshine. Can you imagine near 80F temps around Christmas!

Very warm yes but +10 and up is absurd. I think this super holiday warm up is legit and it's unbelievable.

You could make a legit argument that some places would make a run at 80F if we get enough sunshine. Can you imagine near 80F temps around Christmas!

By year 2050 that would be the new "Normal". :whistle:

...during warm periods in winter..i always tell people that 'payback' will be a b**ch..so i will 

stick to that and hang my hat on nzuckers' post with re: to -ao/-nao blocks that form late

in winter during el-nino's...i am wavering and the wait will be long but PAYBACK will come..

Archived