• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savannah (KSAV airport) and Hunter had a high of only 31 F. This is the first high of 32 F or below at KSAV since the great coastal snowstorm of Dec. of 1989! This ends the longest period on record between highs of 32 F or lower there, 24+ years. Only 18 days since records began in the 1870's have had this cold or colder for a high!

Ft. Pulaski (right near the coast) had a high of only 30 F! That's even more remarkable!

Edit: Just a couple of weeks ago, KSAV had an all-time record high low for any winter day, 70, which is a whopping 39 warmer than today's record low high!

Not as cold this morning as well. Dropped to 14.

Suprised there is not much talk about the potential icing in parts of VA/NC tomorrow night/Fri morning with the 1st wave of precip in the typical CAD favored areas. 

Looks to be enough residual dry cold air at the surface for temps to drop below freezing as the precip moves in and to develop a insitu CAD.

Temps will warm as precip decreases durring the day Friday but should have temp forecast issues with the lingering wedge. Really looking at some of the data temps may have a hard time making it to 40 Friday in the wedge. Taken Nam literally along the va border may start as a brief snow/sleet mix before switching over to zr.

I dropped down to 9 degrees last night.  I don't remember the last time I had back to back single digit nights.  Currently 11.  I should note that I live on the side of a hill with my yard leveling off about 15 feet below.  I recently moved my thermometer from the front yard to the back since I suspected it would make a difference on nights like last night and it looks like it did.  

I dropped down to 9 degrees last night.  I don't remember the last time I had back to back single digit nights.  Currently 11.  I should note that I live on the side of a hill with my yard leveling off about 15 feet below.  I recently moved my thermometer from the front yard to the back since I suspected it would make a difference on nights like last night and it looks like it did.  

Got down to 9.4 here too. Was  one of the coldest readings around when i looked at readings just before sunrise. I have a good hill in my yard too and in the past on calm nights, i've seen it be 5 or 6 degrees colder than on top of the hill. On calm nights/mornings like this morning, there is such a difference that when you go down the hill, you literally can feel it...starting at your feet and getting deeper.. which i always thought was pretty cool. I could feel that difference this morning and since my station is on top of the hill in my front yard, I'm guessing it was about 4 or 5 in the back yard. 

At any rate, I thought i had an outside chance to get below 10 again, but  was thinking 13 or so was more likely. It's funny you mentioned it's rare to get 2 mornings in the single digits because that is the exact thought I had this morning too. Pretty impressive.

Got down to 9.4 here too. Was  one of the coldest readings around when i looked at readings just before sunrise. I have a good hill in my yard too and in the past on calm nights, i've seen it be 5 or 6 degrees colder than on top of the hill. On calm nights/mornings like this morning, there is such a difference that when you go down the hill, you literally can feel it...starting at your feet and getting deeper.. which i always thought was pretty cool. I could feel that difference this morning and since my station is on top of the hill in my front yard, I'm guessing it was about 4 or 5 in the back yard. 

At any rate, I thought i had an outside chance to get below 10 again, but  was thinking 13 or so was more likely. It's funny you mentioned it's rare to get 2 mornings in the single digits because that is the exact thought I had this morning too. Pretty impressive.

lol i cant remember the last time there were back to back single digits either.  glad to see yall colder for a change :) as i was coming into work it was colder down in the valley/lower areas than imby.  it was 21 as i headed out and dropped to 17 at lower elevations

Archived