• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of my remotes broke my 3 year old mark of 12, and one did not.  Two were not reading when I went to bed, so I was stuck at 15, and it wasn't looking good for lower, but this morning all were working and gave me a 13.1, a 9.6, and a 7.7 on overnight memory.  Take your pick!  I'm going with the average and saying I got under 12, lol.    23 now.  T

It's still too windy here this morning, but I did manage to get a few to stay on the blowing stick long enough to take pictures. I will try again once the wind slacks off. It's great to have them lined up and watch them change shapes and colors  ^_^

We used to add glycerin to the soap mixture to give the bubbles strength.

27.5 at 12:49pm. Very easily could have a sub-freezing high. 33 is the forecast now. Many of the local fountains have frozen up.

I think you will pull it off, the cold really got out over the ocean up here in NC the buoys offshore are reporting air temps in the upper 20's with ocean temps around 70, it takes some serious cold air to pull that off.

Yeah.  I have lots of little frozen ponds in my yard.  We've had so much rain over the last couple of years that the ground is super saturated.  So much so that I think we're going to have to put in a couple of french drains because two sizeable areas are mud pits and have killed the grass.  At this point it only takes .25 inches of rain for us to have standing water ponding in our yard.  There is just no place for it to go anymore.

Atlanta is an especially odd forecasting zone, I think, not only because it's such a big greater metro area but beause it covers a significant change in elevation and geography.  The weather south of I20 is different than what we see up here in the foothills, and what we see is quite different from the mountain counties north of us. 

I was actually referring to my two lakes. One is about an acre and the other is about 3 acres. The big one is really out in the open at the southeast/east side of a big field and the wind is always a lot higher there than at my house when the wind is out of the west/northwest. And the wave action on that lake can be quite big considering it's just a farm lake.

It doesn't happen too often but it's not too rare to see it freeze over but it is rare to see it do so with that much wind and choppy water

As for atlanta..yeah there is often time a pretty big difference between the north and south side or the east and west side...or between atlanta and most of the rest of north ga..especially in regards to temps. It's annoying that they have their temp readings at probably the worst part of the heat island because unless it's windy or during the daytime,  atlanta''s official temp does not match up well with the rest of the northern part of the state. Yet when discussing climo or current weather, it's the one everyone always refers to.

I wish they would, at the least, move their damn temp sensor to a location that is actually more  representative of the vast majority of  the rest of north ga.

at any rate, temp is up to 25. Not as cold obviously as most others in the north (you can think my enemy mr downslope for that) But it's still pretty cool (no pun intended)  to be so cold on a sunny day here. I hope I can stay in the 20s but it will be close.

Edit..just realized there is a fair bit of high clouds out there so that probably will be enough to stay in the 20s.

I was actually referring to my two lakes. One is about an acre and the other is about 3 acres. The big one is really out in the open at the southeast/east side of a big field and the wind is always a lot higher there than at my house when the wind is out of the west/northwest. And the wave action on that lake can be quite big considering it's just a farm lake.

It doesn't happen too often but it's not too rare to see it freeze over but it is rare to see it do so with that much wind and choppy water

As for atlanta..yeah there is often time a pretty big difference between the north and south side or the east and west side...or between atlanta and most of the rest of north ga..especially in regards to temps. It's annoying that they have their temp readings at probably the worst part of the heat island because unless it's windy or during the daytime,  atlanta''s official temp does not match up well with the rest of the northern part of the state. Yet when discussing climo or current weather, it's the one everyone always refers to.

I wish they would, at the least, move their damn temp sensor to a location that is actually more  representative of the vast majority of  the rest of north ga.

That has been a huge gripe of mine for decades.  Who puts the sensor in the middle of a runway median at the busiest airport in the world?  Although this morning like you stated it performed well and repped most of the area, but I have seen nights 2-3 days after a strong front go though when all of the suburbs rapidly drop, but that sensor is sometimes 20 degrees warmer.     

Yeah. I have lots of little frozen ponds in my yard. We've had so much rain over the last couple of years that the ground is super saturated. So much so that I think we're going to have to put in a couple of french drains because two sizeable areas are mud pits and have killed the grass. At this point it only takes .25 inches of rain for us to have standing water ponding in our yard. There is just no place for it to go anymore.

Atlanta is an especially odd forecasting zone, I think, not only because it's such a big greater metro area but beause it covers a significant change in elevation and geography. The weather south of I20 is different than what we see up here in the foothills, and what we see is quite different from the mountain counties north of us.

I disagree with the weather south of I-20 being much different than in the foothills. I am south of I-20, at an elevation of 1100' and pretty sure my weather is similar to areas like Cobb, North Fulton, etc most of the time except when there is CAD sometimes.

I'm just amazed at how well the euro from a week ago had this thing in it's targets. Everyone was laughing at how crazy the euro was and how it would probably favor more of the gfs. I don't understand why the models can't do the same with a storm system? JB is thinking the end of the month should be fun to watch unfold.

I'm just amazed at how well the euro from a week ago had this thing in it's targets. Everyone was laughing at how crazy the euro was and how it would probably favor more of the gfs. I don't understand why the models can't do the same with a storm system? JB is thinking the end of the month should be fun to watch unfold.

Yep, the GFS did pretty well too look at the temp map a few posts back, it is spot on.  15.9 imby NE ATL.

They take the obs at PGV every 20 mins and its currently 25 but it bumped to 27 a few obs ago for one obs which would make it so the best we can now do is tie the record low max for this date which is obviously 27.......this is assuming it doesnt somehow jump to 28 anytime in the next few hrs but still pretty disappointed that we wont get that new record low max.

Archived