• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We made it down to 12 last night, topped out at 27 this afternoon ... they're calling for 10 tonight.

If the DP stays at or below zero and the wind lays off I can easily see tonight being colder than they are calling for, PGV is always 4-5 degrees colder than forecast under optimal radiational cooling conditions....they are calling for 12 at PGV so I could see it hitting 6-10 easy if we get those conditions. Many places in central and eastern NC could go for single digits tonight IMO

I was actually referring to my two lakes. One is about an acre and the other is about 3 acres. The big one is really out in the open at the southeast/east side of a big field and the wind is always a lot higher there than at my house when the wind is out of the west/northwest. And the wave action on that lake can be quite big considering it's just a farm lake.

It doesn't happen too often but it's not too rare to see it freeze over but it is rare to see it do so with that much wind and choppy water

As for atlanta..yeah there is often time a pretty big difference between the north and south side or the east and west side...or between atlanta and most of the rest of north ga..especially in regards to temps. It's annoying that they have their temp readings at probably the worst part of the heat island because unless it's windy or during the daytime,  atlanta''s official temp does not match up well with the rest of the northern part of the state. Yet when discussing climo or current weather, it's the one everyone always refers to.

I wish they would, at the least, move their damn temp sensor to a location that is actually more  representative of the vast majority of  the rest of north ga.

at any rate, temp is up to 25. Not as cold obviously as most others in the north (you can think my enemy mr downslope for that) But it's still pretty cool (no pun intended)  to be so cold on a sunny day here. I hope I can stay in the 20s but it will be close.

Edit..just realized there is a fair bit of high clouds out there so that probably will be enough to stay in the 20s.

Yeah I know, I was being silly about our little 'ponds'. :) 

Totally agreed on the sensors, they are all wrong for anyone north of 20 for sure.

We only got up to 18 and the sun is setting behind the hills now, so again 4 degrees less than forecast for the city of Canton, which is about what our yard always is.  Be interesting to see how much we drop tonight.

I disagree with the weather south of I-20 being much different than in the foothills. I am south of I-20, at an elevation of 1100' and pretty sure my weather is similar to areas like Cobb, North Fulton, etc most of the time except when there is CAD sometimes.

I probably should have been more specific than just saying "foothills".  I also should say that I used 20 as a "line" casually, and the line runs more southwest to northeast if you are really looking at the geography.  I consider areas like extreme north Cherokee and south Pickens to be foothills.  (I'm from the Apps, so the things people call "mountains" in Georgia look more like big hills to me.)

I do think that for example North Cobb and North Fulton/Milton are often different than say, Fayette, Henry and Spalding and the like, where the elevations are generally more in the 800-900 ft range if I'm not mistaken - but I've never lived in the far south of Atlanta, so all I know are the temp gradients I see reported, no personal experience in those areas.

We'd be even further north into the mountains if we could stand the commutes. :)

High of 22 today after a low of 4. Currently 20. I went out to assess the damage in my garden and it looks like the carrots and parsnips are just fine. My strawberries look terrible as does my cilantro that has grown wild since 2008. I covered everything in straw which seems to have helped. Can someone who knows better than me tell me if this cold actually does help with the bugs? Especially fire ants. I'm sure they just retreat deeper but they are kind of on the northern end of their range if I recall so this may be enough to set them back. Mi figure snaps like this reset plants and critters that have crept north since the last cold snap.

Yeah I know, I was being silly about our little 'ponds'. :)

Totally agreed on the sensors, they are all wrong for anyone north of 20 for sure.

We only got up to 18 and the sun is setting behind the hills now, so again 4 degrees less than forecast for the city of Canton, which is about what our yard always is.  Be interesting to see how much we drop tonight.

Ah..I usually pick up the sarcasm..not this time i guess :arrowhead:

Got to 26 here today...so well below 30 obviously. It almost felt like a snow/ice storm was on the way with the clouds moving in while being so cold. It's depressing there isn't anything to look forward to

High of 22 today after a low of 4. Currently 20. I went out to assess the damage in my garden and it looks like the carrots and parsnips are just fine. My strawberries look terrible as does my cilantro that has grown wild since 2008. I covered everything in straw which seems to have helped. Can someone who knows better than me tell me if this cold actually does help with the bugs? Especially fire ants. I'm sure they just retreat deeper but they are kind of on the northern end of their range if I recall so this may be enough to set them back. Mi figure snaps like this reset plants and critters that have crept north since the last cold snap.

Every year I keep hoping something will do something about those damn ants but nothing ever does. This past summer was just insane because of all the rain. You literally could not step out in the yard without shoes because the fire ants would instantly get on you. It rained so damn much it just scattered them everywhere and virtually every day they would end up being on the top of the grass to save their sorry ass from the water.

And the pasture? good god..it was unreal. At one point the lake was over flowing and in the water were some  minnows and small fish that took the wrong turn...and right in the middle of the over flow were the ants...attacking the minnows and fish and everything else that walked through it. I made the mistake of going for a walk after a 7 inch rain day and I was wearing sandals..I must have been stung 50 times on that day alone and probably a hundred times over the summer. No joke. I lost count on how many times i tried to poison them but it rained so damn often it didn't do any good or it didn't kill enough of them to make a difference.

Problem with ants and other instincts is they reproduce so much and so fast cold winters or whatever really doesn't make any difference from what i can tell.

Fire ants won't survive an extended period of time when the soil freezes to the depth of their nest.  Given our climate and the fact that the ants attempt to deepen the nest as the temperature drops, for our area, that just doesn't happen.  They are here to stay.

Some who escaped the frozen pipe possibilities last night will find themselves dealing with them tomorrow.  Extended time below freezing will allow cold to penetrate areas that weren't affected by one night of extreme cold.  Areas to watch are any pipes in or up against north or east facing walls or any area that is in shade during the afternoon.

Some who escaped the frozen pipe possibilities last night will find themselves dealing with them tomorrow.  Extended time below freezing will allow cold to penetrate areas that weren't affected by one night of extreme cold.  Areas to watch are any pipes in or up against north or east facing walls or any area that is in shade during the afternoon.

It's got me trying to figure out what the heck I can actually do outside of just straight up running hot water. I tried running it but lower and it just went cold. After further research this afternoon turns out even that screws up with the modulator on the gas.

It's got me trying to figure out what the heck I can actually do outside of just straight up running hot water. I tried running it but lower and it just went cold. After further research this afternoon turns out even that screws up with the modulator on the gas.

Basically your needing to put heat on the unit as a whole correct? Do you have any heat lamps or portable flood light mounts that some people use to light up the outside of their homes during xmas? I'd blast the unit with a couple of those.

was at 11 this morning with wind chill of 0, got up to 26 day. i know when i was at the college at 2:30 i could still see my breath. oi vey. miserable. bu friggin awesome. my dad in warner robins, georgia said they only got to 22 today. that is just NUTS for that area. they had school delayed as well.

CAE.......... :weight_lift:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
0520 PM EST TUE JAN 07 2014

...RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT SC...

A RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 30 DEGREES WAS SET AT COLUMBIA
METRO AIRPORT SC TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 31 SET IN 1988.

DAILY TEMPERATURE RECORDS IN THE COLUMBIA AREA DATE BACK TO 1887.

As long as its running it shouldn't freeze.

Burger how much room is inside the box? Enough to rig up something.

Basically your needing to put heat on the unit as a whole correct? Do you have any heat lamps or portable flood light mounts that some people use to light up the outside of their homes during xmas? I'd blast the unit with a couple of those.

Good point and a suggestion if light bulbs don't work. What about taping a adjustable shoulder/back heat pad to inside of the outside door/panel. I sure a heat pad would keep the unit from freezing.

nuts. Any daytime record low highs broken in SC today dating to 1988 is absolutely phenomenal due the 1988 highs the by-product of the then record breaking winter storm in the carolinas. Today was sheer fair weather cold without the snow cover or ongoing storm. Kchs just barely ABV freezing at 33. Tied, but need to verify no higher. At work, mobile, and no time to check it.

Archived