• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

GaWx suggested we start a new dedicated event thread in relation to the upcoming cold blast that will come in 2 waves, the first starting late tomorrow and lasting through Saturday with the second starting Monday of next week...

Just to throw out some general guidelines...all model discussions from here on in regards to cold should fall in this thread...0z model suite should be out in a few hours...I think it would also be fair to discuss wind potential in here because the winds and CAA is a delivery mechanism for the cold...so for example if you want to comment about wind gusts, wind chill values, it would be appropriate here

Any comments on snow potential (which will be Northwest flow origin) for both time frames should be made in the current mountain snow thread...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic -

Tallahassee NWS has a nice summary of their expectations (cold and quick, essentially):

.LONG TERM [saturday Through Wednesday]...
The fast-paced pattern will continue through the long term period.
Model guidance shows the anticyclone departing into the Western
Atlantic on Saturday morning and the next storm system gaining
strength across the Rockies. Southerly flow will begin to return
some moisture to our region on Saturday afternoon. It is around
this time that the GFS/Euro continue to show divergent solutions
through the end of the period. For the last couple of runs, the
GFS seems to slowly be working its way toward the Euro solution,
which has been remarkably consistent now for the last five cycles
analyzed. While there have been subtle changes in the Euro with
respect to magnitude of the cold air into the Deep South, one
thing though is very clear, that this will likely be the most
significant arctic air intrusion into our region of the season.
After a seasonable day on Sunday ahead of the developing storm
system, a strong cold front will pass through the region Sunday
night followed by an arctic front on Monday. There still is some
notable spread between the Euro and GFS-based MOS sets, but with
this forecast package being heavily weighted toward the 01/00z and
01/12z operational Euro solutions, have generally stayed away from
any contribution of the MEX numbers into the long term grid blend.
As a result, temperatures on Monday will likely struggle to hit 50
outside of North Florida - and only slightly warmer in the Florida
zones. By Monday night, a strong high pressure area will be
building across East Central Texas, and though the gradient will
still be especially tight across our region, expect some areas to
have a good shot at a hard freeze given the magnitude of the
incoming cold airmass.

This strong high does lift out quickly to the Northeast on
Tuesday, assuming a position across the Central Appalachians by
Wednesday morning.
Thus, low temperatures at the end of the period
may not be as cold as otherwise expected following such a
significant influx of arctic air.

It will be interesting to see how things play out next week. The models seem to be tempering the low temp possibilities due to the fast flow moving the cold outbreak in and out rather quickly.

It would definitely be colder of there was some degree of blocking.

Still, Tuesday is going to be a brutal cold day whether or not you have snow cover.

I'll have to see a -20 dewpoint on my weather station to believe it. With temps like those, I can easily see single digits if not 0 around the NC Piedmont/Upstate SC if clear skies and calm winds prevail. But I think temps will be vary drastically from the cities to outlying areas.

lol I will now gracefully withdraw from this thread having said my piece. I would like to announce that when it does get cold, I will post my temps in the obs thread. My post will include reference to any burst pipes or frozen homeless people I might find laying in my yard.

Ha! You know I'm just playing around. Feel free to post in here about anyone who has been attacked arcticly.

And for on topic, for Raleigh, the NWS has a high of 37 tomorrow and 34 next Tuesday, with a low Tuesday night around 19. If the models are close to correct, those numbers should come down a bit, I suspect.

It will be interesting to see how things play out next week. The models seem to be tempering the low temp possibilities due to the fast flow moving the cold outbreak in and out rather quickly.

It would definitely be colder of there was some degree of blocking.

Still, Tuesday is going to be a brutal cold day whether or not you have snow cover.

Maybe I am wrong in saying this but even if we did have a strongly negative NAO, you need snowpack in order to sustain zero or below zero temps in this part of the country for several days. I do agree that the fast flow is allowing it to move out after 2 very cold mornings coming up (Tuesday and Wednesday) however the next 7 days are going to resemble a negative NAO pattern...

just looking at the model trends from today, I think our first cold blast tomorrow night and Friday has more potential than many in the media are giving it. I know on the 12z GFS today it had Asheville for an example go from 48 degrees early Thursday afternoon down to 15 by 12z Friday, the 18z run followed by coming in even colder for Friday morning...lower teens

It all ends in Waycross :) ! I am looking forward to the likelihood of single digits! The lowest I've had imby in the last 5+ years has been 11.6 degrees! Maybe we can kill some fire ants!!

This outbreak looks so lame down here. Our lowest low is 33. Hell we got lower than that last January even with 6 days in the 80s.

I have near 20 overnight and 35 for next Tuesday.  My "GUT" tells me it will be like 15/30

I agree, I think Atlanta will be 5/23....FFC is out to lunch.  I called them at 770-486-1133 and talked to a met,  Honestly she sounded like a "valley" girl.  She had no idea really what I was talking about as far as the potential magnitude for next week.  Then I said how amazingly cold it has been in Minnesota and she giggled and said "ya it's freezing up there"  hehe.  FREEZING???

I agree, I think Atlanta will be 5/23....FFC is out to lunch.  I called them at 770-486-1133 and talked to a met,  Honestly she sounded like a "valley" girl.  She had no idea really what I was talking about as far as the potential magnitude for next week.  Then I said how amazingly cold it has been in Minnesota and she giggled and said "ya it's freezing up there"  hehe.  FREEZING???

Bashing the NWS will not make friends here.

o yea they have been lowering it every time a new forecast comes out it. I think they where just playing the safe road it would seem.

Friday, the temperatures sure do look cold for this time of year...

This is the 18z GFS Model run for high temperatures Friday:

I think Friday will nip some people in the butt. 00z GFS gives single digit wind chills across the state which are much more widespread than the 18z

Archived