• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No...this would be next Thursday as moisture begins to advect into the rear half of the airmass.

Ah gotcha. That would make sense then.

From my experience cold airmasses are very difficult to scour out at the low levels in the usual CAD areas of GA-SC-NC. WIth this all-timer airmass I suspect the same will be true.

I haven't looked at meteostar in quite some time but, it has some interesting temps for KAVL for sure. It show a 24° temp drop (44-20) from 3pm to 9pm for today! It also has Tuesday 1/7 7am 2m temp of -1°.......Yikes!!!

Thats plausible. For that time frame its been showing a min low ranging from 4-8 above with dps in the -10s . Hard to say which is right euro or gfs but will be interesting to see if winds continue to blow to allow mixing if we can get some calm winds to allow for good  radiational cooling probably could see temps alot colder by a few degrees.

I think this would be the coldest for CHS since December 26, 2004, when it was 36 for a high, if that forecast verifies. That would be 27 degrees below average.

Yeah, it would be the coldest in a long time that I can remember actually.  if the high stays or hits at the freezing mark, no higher, that would be the first time since January 1994 when the high was 31, can't remember the specific date but I think it was a day or two after the Northridge Quake in Cali.  

/\  Ugh- left all of my faucets dripping at OKI before we drove back up to CLT this afternoon- this is pretty interesting from a meteorological standpoint, but from a real world standpoint I am not real psyched about this.  We have a bunch of cyads and palms in front of our house (sago, pindo and fan palms) that will probably not do so hot if the temperature gets below 10 F out on the island; I also have drip irrigation, which can present a whole other issue if the ground freezes.  The cold kills trout and redfish as well; they go way up in the creeks and sit on the black mud (gets really warm in the sun); when the creeks get too cold, it ends up killing a bunch of them.......

Thats plausible. For that time frame its been showing a min low ranging from 4-8 above with dps in the -10s . Hard to say which is right euro or gfs but will be interesting to see if winds continue to blow to allow mixing if we can get some calm winds to allow for good  radiational cooling probably could see temps alot colder by a few degrees.

Folks the windchills are going to be a big story too. The gfs has some strong winds to go along with those frigid temps, especially in north/central ga and sc.  Gfs has substained winds in the 15 to 25mph range while the temps are in the single digits/teens.

I'm using the 06z gfs run since the 12z run was missed up on twister..but per that model run, Monday afternoon, for example. Gainesville is in the low teens with winds of 20 knots!  By  0z Tuesday gfs soundings show a surface temp  -15.9 or around 3 or 4 above zero..while having a surface wind of 18 knots! Even by tuesday morning, the winds are still in the 10 to 15 knot range area wide with temps between 0 and 5 or 6 degrees.

This translates to windchills of roughly -5  to as low as 15 below zero for north ga during much of monday and/or monday night/tuesday am. It will be interesting to see if these really high winds pan out with these type of temps. I can't recall ever seeing temps as low as what is being put out there with winds that high at the same time.

GFS is just plum cold. Look at these high temperatures. 19 in Hickory? And the trend has been cooler with each model run!

Cold temperatures look to be in store for a lot of southeast... or should I say Arctic temperature?

Hey Jordan, we have regional maps too.  See the region drop down box at the top in the model center:

3mW28bg.gif

Folks the windchills are going to be a big story too. The gfs has some strong winds to go along with those frigid temps, especially in north/central ga and sc.  Gfs has substained winds in the 15 to 25mph range while the temps are in the single digits/teens.

I'm using the 06z gfs run since the 12z run was missed up on twister..but per that model run, Monday afternoon, for example. Gainesville is in the low teens with winds of 20 knots!  By  0z Tuesday gfs soundings show a surface temp  -15.9 or around 3 or 4 above zero..while having a surface wind of 18 knots! Even by tuesday morning, the winds are still in the 10 to 15 knot range area wide with temps between 0 and 5 or 6 degrees.

This translates to windchills of roughly -5  to as low as 15 below zero for north ga during much of monday and/or monday night/tuesday am. It will be interesting to see if these really high winds pan out with these type of temps. I can't recall ever seeing temps as low as what is being put out there with winds that high at the same time.

if this verifies even close it going to the coldest in a while.  interesting you point out the winds. most of the times we are rooting for the winds to die down, or the forecast for the coldest temps are if the sky is clear and winds calm.  this will give us the extremely cold temps with winds (and get the surface nice and cold for what might happen later in the week lol)

speaking of winds, they have really picked up this evening.  temp at 34 (too bad cold is chasing the moisture away)

They don't want to forecast anything too anomalous until right before the event when they have higher confidence. It's common sense. They're minimizing bust potential.

too many people forget this...if they start forecasting once in a decade cold and people get hyped up and the temps bust then they look like fools.

Archived