• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 13-16 degrees Tuesday morning from the 12z GFS CSG-MCN  at or below 10 degrees from BHM to ATL  HSV to RMG at or around 5 degrees.  Near 0 from BNA to CHA and MEM.  So, I know the EURO has really struggled at times, but for the hardcore haters of the extreme solutions that it was showing for at least a few runs in a row...Well, in this instance the GFS SUPER caved....

About 13-16 degrees Tuesday morning from the 12z GFS CSG-MCN  at or below 10 degrees from BHM to ATL  HSV to RMG at or around 5 degrees.  Near 0 from BNA to CHA and MEM.  So, I know the EURO has really struggled at times, but for the hardcore haters of the extreme solutions that it was showing for at least a few runs in a row...Well, in this instance the GFS SUPER caved....

Showing 15-16 for CAE  :wub: 

12z GFS looks as cold, maybe a smudge colder than the 00z run so far.

The 540 line doesn't get as far south as the 06z it looks warmer but I'm looking at 500mb anomaly maps not 2m temps so who knows

Exactly. This isn't your run of the mill cold shot..this is something that is actually memorable and doesn't occur too frequently. If one is a fan of weather, they should enjoy this.

Will be interesting to see how the models verify in the final analysis. If it's colder than forecast, it really will be pretty special.

I completely agree! I was a kid during the sub zero cold of the early 1980's in N Georgia, but still remember it well. I have been itching to see sub zero cold again. Not too likely to see below zero this time, it appears, but should still be a lot of fun. Looking forward to a good Obs thread come Sun night!

Looks like after we go below freezing Monday evening we won't see 32 degrees again until sometime Thursday afternoon. Tuesday morning's low of 7 degrees and Wednesday morning's low of 10 degrees is quite an impressive cold shot.

Man that is evil. I'll have to bust out the space heater to keep my front bathroom warm. Darn pipes freeze when we go below freezer for more than 36 hours at a time.

looking at 500mb height charts won't really help you in this instance.  2m temps are coooooold, so are the 850mb temps. 

Looking at the 2m temps I still think the 12z came in slightly warmer than the 06z, at least by a few degrees in most areas, especially over KY and the Apps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I dont know how people arent more excited for this. As long as we hold the line or trend even colder, this is a once in a decade cold shot.

I know, right? I was trying to show my wife and she's like woop-de-do. Of course we're from NY originally but having this in NC is darn impressive. So much for the early season predictions of a +NAO. I assume this means it's extremely negative at this point? LOL

I know, right? I was trying to show my wife and she's like woop-de-do. Of course we're from NY originally but having this in NC is darn impressive. So much for the early season predictions of a +NAO. I assume this means it's extremely negative at this point? LOL

No. It's neutral. Hell if we had a negative NAO, we would all be jumping with joy. The cold shot is severe, but short lasting.

Larry can correct me but if memory serves we had a double cold blast in 2003 as well.  I remember having a low of 13 one day and then the next blast got down to 7.  I remember thinking then that we were wasting all of the cold air without snow (very Brick like) but we picked up a surprise inch as the arctic front came through.  I remember the snow sublimating while we stood in the upper teens all day.

Meteostar GFS brings KCHS on Tuesday ONLY to 32º on Tues 1/7 with a low of 16º (that would be the coldest in about 8 years I believe).   MORE impressive, the winds are progged not to go calm (around 9 MPH) so it's a pure cold advective regime, and even way more impressive was the TD as low as -24º !!

Thanks. I looked that up after I posted it! It's crazy. I'm still learning the hard core details of some of this stuff.  Great to be on these forums BTW. I studied Atmospheric Science for 3 years and then went to Computer Science so it's been about 20 years since I took a look at a lot of this stuff in detail!

Sorry, don't want to go hijack the thread or go off topic. The possibility here is quite fascinating though. :o  

The NAO has averaged positive since Dec 1

23i.gif

Larry can correct me but if memory serves we had a double cold blast in 2003 as well. I remember having a low of 13 one day and then the next blast got down to 7. I remember thinking then that we were wasting all of the cold air without snow (very Brick like) but we picked up a surprise inch as the arctic front came through. I remember the snow sublimating while we stood in the upper teens all day.

you only got down to 7? I live way down south and I reached 4 degrees.

Looking at the 2m temps I still think the 12z came in slightly warmer than the 06z, at least by a few degrees in most areas, especially over KY and the Apps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, the 12Z GFS is warmer at the surface than the 06Z, but not by a lot.  The 06Z had Hickory getting down to 2 F while the 12Z shows the minimum to be 6 F.  However, the cold seems to be sustained longer on the 12Z.  Hickory falls below freezing mid-morning on Monday and doesn't rise above it until Thursday at noon, according to the 12Z.  72 hours below freezing would be quite remarkable for this locale!  I'm pumped for this awesome event!  Bring it on!

you only got down to 7? I live way down south and I reached 4 degrees.

Who knows.  I do know that I went out to get something from my truck that morning in nothing but boxers and learned that tempartures that cold are very painful.  It felt like needles all over my skin.

Archived