• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably about to snow in Atlanta. I see flurries developing north of the area on radarscope using the precipitation depiction.

On another message board they are claiming the roads have a dusting on them in Jasper.  Not sure it will last though with the wind whipping like it is.

The winter weather advisory encompasses most of I-20 North.

Tuesday IMBY is going to be the coldest day since Jan of 1996. Schools here in McDowell County return from break on Monday. That in itself will be a shock as temps will be normal at the morning bus stop but will fall from there. Tuesday morning will be the coldest that kids from this town has ever seen.

I know the local mets need to err on the side of caution with this arctic outbreak, but the public also needs to be aware of pipe- bursting cold that is coming! They have a low of 16 mon night and high of 32 !? With all the models showing substantially colder than this,atleast give a heads up!

I think it's a done deal that this will be pipe - bursting cold. dunno why some mets arnt warning others also. better safe than sorry for some i guess.

At this point I would get the word out if I were any of these mets... even with a warm trend (not likely) it will still be enough to catch people off guard (wind chill advisory criteria) and of course pipe bursting. Of course they'll hype it up the day before like they said it was coming all along.

It looks like the trough is centered right on Atlanta. That is insane cold air coming in. Whoa and I thought 2010 Artic outbrekak was bad. I mean, my brother has school in the morning on Tuesday....this is dangerous cold air especially for the South. Schools may have to cancel...honestly....wind chill values at -10 to -20? Wow. This might be historic at this rate.

folks...this is just other-worldly...wind chills for tuesday.

gfs_windchill_nc_37.png

Much better map. Nothing like single digits on the gulf coast.

But to really get a feel for the cold, plug in the numbers with the old wind chill index. I always hated the new one for obviously weenie purposes, even though I'm assuming it's more accurate but sometimes I wonder. I mean on mt washington, it's just hard to believe the wind chill is only 30 below if they have a temp of 0 and a wind of 60mph.

I'd love to see maps of -25 to -40F wind chills we would be seeing  under the old index.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/windchill.htm

Archived