• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this would be primarily driven by strong mid-level frontogenesis like what happened this past November. However, this time the winds are more northwesterly vs northerly, so my concern is that down sloping will dry the column further east in GA and the Carolinas. The other side to that argument is that the temperature gradient is going to be ridiculous, so there almost has to be some secondary circulation development along the front. Would not surprise me to see a narrow band of decent snow immediately behind the front. And even if it's just a dusting that falls, it's going to be around for a few days!

Didn't this same thing happen around Jan. of 2010? We had a huge cold front come through which laid down around an inch of snow when flurries were just predicted IIRC. I only remember because I happened to be in Vegas and felt robbed. It was around Jan 12th or so for CES IRRC. 

I'm going to miss this while i'm on vacation.  While I'd rather miss extreme cold than snow, it still kind of sucks to miss a historic event.  Oh, well.  I hope you all get the coldest weather in years! :)

The crazy thing is that it's going to be really windy, too, so wind chills should easily be below zero for a lot of us.

1. Daily wx maps up to 2004:

http://www.lib.noaa.gov/collections/imgdocmaps/daily_weather_maps.html

2. Unisys back to 1/1996:

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/index.html

3. NOAA four maps on one reanalysis back to 1950:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/ncepreanal/

4. Every six hours of reanalysis back to 1948:

http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/Composites/Hour/

5. Plymouth State upper air 1957-98:

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/ua-r.html

Much appreciated guys. . i had some of them but a couple i didn't.

Hey!  A MariettaWx sighting!  Those have been few and far between lately.  Welcome back, sir!

Based on data from the meteostar site, I don't see much, if any, snow for the Hickory area.  The three-hour window from 12Z to 15Z on Monday has 0.05 inch of precipitation fall and sometime during that period the 850mb temp falls from +5 F to -6 F.  My guess is that the 850 temp drops after the precip has passed through.  At least, that's how it normally happens with downsloping in the lee side of the Apps.

Hey there!  The coldest I remember it gettign in Marietta is 1993, 1994, or 1995 when it was zero with a windchill of -28 one morngin before school in January.  Don't think it will be that cold but this is going to be a once in a 10-20 year event imo for us

I dunno, but it wouldn't surprise me to see things trend a bit colder as we work closer.

I think it will continue. Keep in mind there will be some snow on the ground upstream so there isn't going to be much modification of this airmass at all. As rare as it is to have this type of cold aloft, it makes it even more rare to see snow covering so much area just nw of us. So if anything the models should continue to trend colder.

Also of note is that at it's coldest, 875mb temps of -22c make it to atlanta and -24c over the NW corner of the state. GFS_3_2014010312_F78_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

goodness.  coldest run yet.  wind chills tues morning.

gfs_windchill_nc_29.png

-20F is some serious cold for any part of the country, much less here. Again though if we were still using the older wind chill index, we would be talking wind chills in the -30 to -40F range.

Hey there!  The coldest I remember it gettign in Marietta is 1993, 1994, or 1995 when it was zero with a windchill of -28 one morngin before school in January.  Don't think it will be that cold but this is going to be a once in a 10-20 year event imo for us

Keep in mind that was with the old wind chill index. The new one makes it roughly half as cold, so this will be more impressive than that day if these wind chills verify.

I know we usually focus on the 850mb temps but the heart of the cold shifts down in height a bit with time monday evening into early tue. here are those 12z gfs 875mb temps. 12z  at the bottom vs 18z 875mb temps at the top valid for 0z tue. Note how far south the -20c temps are..all the way to columbus.

post-12-0-50815800-1388789649_thumb.gif

post-12-0-42732100-1388789820_thumb.gif

Yes, coldest run yet by the GFS.  High of 23, low of 8 IMBY per the 18z run.

Same here drops me down to 1 with a NW wind at 18mph (Windchill -18-22ish).  Temp bounces back to a 19 degree high.  That is impressive for the model to show that in three days out and it's been remarkably persistant with the extreme cold.

A while back, i was looking through the ewall maps and I think at one point I wondered if that was it too. But those maps aren't exactly high resolution. The reason I want to find it is because I want to figure out the circumstances behind what caused it and if it could ever happen again.

Of course I'm no where near as good as you and others at past storms, in part because i lose patience trying to find info. Any good sites to look at whole atmosphere maps, surface observations, etc for a storm that long ago?

I was thinking around 96 or 98. 

All I know is that last one you got made me crazy jealous.  That snow band stayed over you all afternoon, and well after I'd gotten the quick inch which was all I got.  And there you are having it pile up from the "band that never moved, and poured snow", lol.  I thought it was great, after all the rain woes you'd had, but I'd had them to, and here you had your very own snow cloud :)  Winter weather life in Ga. is never fair.

Everyone....see to your hot water pipes.. they freeze first and the worst.  Best spend the money on making your hot water heater work, than to lie on your back in ice/water under the house working on your pipes, when it's 15 degrees like I did three years ago.

I know we usually focus on the 850mb temps but the heart of the cold shifts down in height a bit with time monday evening into early tue. here are those 12z gfs 875mb temps. 12z  at the bottom vs 18z 875mb temps at the top valid for 0z tue. Note how far south the -20c temps are..all the way to columbus.

Couldn't get a PM trough, so I'll ask publicly -

Looks like the bottom map is colder towards Columbus; are they inverted (12z / 18z)?

I believe they shut things down here if the air temperature is 15 or lower.

The buses are the major problem, along with heating the schools after a night like that. If Mon night lows are 0-5 above, then lots of buses won't start, school buildings will be very chili, and yes you can't expect kids to stand out at a bus stop with -15 wind chills.

I agree that school closings for Tuesday in metro Atlanta are looking more and more like a good probability at this point.

The buses are the major problem, along with heating the schools after a night like that. If Mon night lows are 0-5 above, then lots of buses won't start, school buildings will be very chili, and yes you can't expect kids to stand out at a bus stop with -15 wind chills.

I agree that school closings for Tuesday in metro Atlanta are looking more and more like a good probability at this point.

I agree! They will probably atleast delay schools around here for 2 hrs, just to let it warm slightly, but it's a big hassle for parents

Was on Fernandina Beach today and was absolutely the coldest I've ever felt in Florida.  And I have woken up early on some chilly Gainesville, Fl mornings in the upper teens (late 90s)  But the wind howling off the water had to have wind chill temps in the mid 20s if not lower with the air temp about 44.  Next blast looking more and more exciting.

I agree! They will probably atleast delay schools around here for 2 hrs, just to let it warm slightly, but it's a big hassle for parents

That will be some slight warming indeed...Meteostar's GFS plot has KATL warming to a balmy 8º by 10am, up from the morning low of 3º. I truly fear whether civil authorities in north Georgia will effectively communicate the dangers of temps and wind chills at such a low extreme; it's been many years  since we've had to deal with such extreme cold in this area.

Archived