12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 20-21 Snow/Sleet/Ice/Rain event OBS

Deck Pic

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another DC Metro precip split. If that slug that's south ever made it, it would be a topic for discussion. But, a meh event for most. Maybe .5 of snow then crusted with sleet. Not very white out there. temp is 29.5. Now to clean the car...

Funny how all the models(didn't look late yesterday) had a precip hole down in C VA and that is the area of nice radar returns

Maybe most people on here were expecting a half-inch or so in the city, but I really wasn't.

When you live in the city, and see forecasts for "less than an inch," you learn after awhile that can just as easily mean nothing, or it won't stick, etc. Pretty sure all the TV mets, Cap Weather, etc, were also forecasting less than an inch all day. Don't think I met one person today at work, out, etc, that said, "it's suppose to snow tonight." -- that very common refrain when people expect even minor amounts.

I guess you didn't read CWG as we had a trace to an inch of snow forecast for dc and .5 to 1.5 just to the north. I'd say the even pretty much went as expected. The only surprise was that the second batch looks like it has missed us.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/winter-weather-mess-snow-sleet-ice-overnight-into-saturday-around-washington-dc/2012/01/20/gIQAXRrhDQ_blog.html

1.6" snowfall total in Clarksburg before the change. Sleet and freezing rain has compacted it down to around an inch. Right now, passing freezing drizzle with a temp of

26.9°F. That's down 1.9° in the last hour. Nearly calm winds have turned ever so slightly to the NNW in the last hour but are typically less than 1mph.

I guess you didn't read CWG as we had a trace to an inch of snow forecast for dc and .5 to 1.5 just to the north. I'd say the even pretty much went as expected. The only surprise was that the second batch looks like it has missed us.

http://www.washingto...RrhDQ_blog.html

that 2nd batch was a huge part of the forecast so thats a big bust imo...it was suppose to be zr now in DC and nothing

BWI had at least 1" today, since they reported a 4/001 group in their METAR. Yesterday they had a trace.

Yesterday DCA had 0.5" and IAD had 0.8".

Technically the 4/001 group could be between 0.5-1.4 inches, but given what we saw on radar and other reports in the area I'd put them at around one inch or more.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway. Not 100% confident.

BWI had at least 1" today, since they reported a 4/001 group in their METAR. Yesterday they had a trace.

Yesterday DCA had 0.5" and IAD had 0.8".

Technically the 4/001 group could be between 0.5-1.4 inches, but given what we saw on radar and other reports in the area I'd put them at around one inch or more.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway. Not 100% confident.

Hmmm thanks guys...any idea where I can find out once it becomes available? website?

Archived