• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January 20-21 Snow/Sleet/Ice/Rain event OBS

Deck Pic

When was this the case? I think most people at least DC north and west were expecting "decent" snow (decent for this year).

Maybe most people on here were expecting a half-inch or so in the city, but I really wasn't.

When you live in the city, and see forecasts for "less than an inch," you learn after awhile that can just as easily mean nothing, or it won't stick, etc. Pretty sure all the TV mets, Cap Weather, etc, were also forecasting less than an inch all day. Don't think I met one person today at work, out, etc, that said, "it's suppose to snow tonight." -- that very common refrain when people expect even minor amounts.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i went out to measure.. mostly like 1.1-1.25" or so. i got one about 1.4 but that was one spot in 10. tho i was running below matt earlier so maybe he got into a heavier band.

re lwx: even if an adjustment was fine.. no way we were getting 3" imo. 1-2" would have been a better move at game time.

basically all sleet now.

Only a dusting? I'm closing in on at least a half inch here now it seems. We aren't too far from each other but I guess it's possible.

Nope i had to check, and when I did I had around a half inch.. Then an hour or so later I checked again and I was up to an inch. I'll probably go out in a bit to see whether It's changed over or not, when I was out the snow looked to be a mix of graupel flakes and normal flakes. Temp is at 24.

Maybe most people on here were expecting a half-inch or so in the city, but I really wasn't.

When you live in the city, and see forecasts for "less than an inch," you learn after awhile that can just as easily mean nothing, or it won't stick, etc. Pretty sure all the TV mets, Cap Weather, etc, were also forecasting less than an inch all day. Don't think I met one person today at work, out, etc, that said, "it's suppose to snow tonight." -- that very common refrain when people expect even minor amounts.

On the contrary - our PM Update forecast posted at 4 pm said around 1" in DC, and our snowfall map posted at 11 a.m. this morning had DC on northern edge of the T-1" band, with 0.5-1.5" band through much of montgomery county and the n. suburbs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/winter-weather-mess-snow-sleet-ice-overnight-into-saturday-around-washington-dc/2012/01/20/gIQAXRrhDQ_blog.html#pagebreak

we were pretty clear most of the day that we expected a period of accumulating snow, in the 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. timeframe.

from our FAQ post issued at 1:19 p.m.: "When will conditions be worst? An initial thump of snow this evening between 10 and 1 a.m., may create hazardous travel."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/winter-weather-advisory-for-entire-dc-metro-region/2012/01/20/gIQAGTb3DQ_blog.html#pagebreak

On the contrary - our PM Update forecast posted at 4 pm said around 1" in DC, and our snowfall map posted at 11 a.m. this morning had DC on northern edge of the T-1" band, with 0.5-1.5" band through much of montgomery county and the n. suburbs.

http://www.washingto....html#pagebreak

we were pretty clear most of the day that we expected a period of accumulating snow, in the 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. timeframe.

from our FAQ post issued at 1:19 p.m.: "When will conditions be worst? An initial thump of snow this evening between 10 and 1 a.m., may create hazardous travel."

http://www.washingto....html#pagebreak

Yeah, you guys did pretty good with this.

i went out to measure.. mostly like 1.1-1.25" or so. i got one about 1.4 but that was one spot in 10. tho i was running below matt earlier so maybe he got into a heavier band.

re lwx: even if an adjustment was fine.. no way we were getting 3" imo. 1-2" would have been a better move at game time.

basically all sleet now.

See my post. 1.25 is the number.

See my post. 1.25 is the number.

Nice. You may have slightly more than me but I'll prob go with that over 1.2". I was a bit behind you earlier it seemed too. Not a bad few hours except I hate night events for photos.

Archived