amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Irene Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recorded just over 1 inch IMBY in Stephens City, most of which occurred after 11:30 PM. That was a pleasant surprise. I did have a sizable BBQ grill blown over, but saw no other damage around here. I would estimate some gusts around 40 mph. The local WXbug station reported only .42" for the event. That station is about 1 mile from me, so there is some doubt about the actual amount of rain received.

At 4AM here it was crazy outside. I can't believe there aren't more trees down. And what was I thinking putting out a 4" coffee cup? I guess I had my man glasses on because it looked bigger than that.

My house is surrounded by trees and I thought for sure something would come down. It would be interesting to see what the highest gust was at IAD.

Around 2" here, overperformer, but still nothing special other than the fact that it was called a hurricane. Some people said this was as exciting as a snowstorm, but I would easily trade it for 2" of snow with even no wind at all.

In Connecticut they've had their largest power outage ever in state history. Hurricane Gloria in 1985 was about 520,000 power outages. But Hurricane Irene has caused 650,000 outages and that number is still climbing with tropical storm force winds still occuring through the afternoon. Just an amazing amount of disuption by a Cat 1 hurricane.

Saw on Channel 9 that DCA recorded 3.4", but Prince Frederick in Calvert had 9.9"! I'm sure they're spots with over 12" in St Marys. All my folks in Calvert and St Marys have their power out.

Radar est has us in Germantown at around 2" which was a good beneficial rain. No bad winds, damage or outages in my area.

Saw on Channel 9 that DCA recorded 3.4", but Prince Frederick in Calvert had 9.9"! I'm sure they're spots with over 12" in St Marys. All my folks in Calvert and St Marys have their power out.

Radar est has us in Germantown at around 2" which was a good beneficial rain. No bad winds, damage or outages in my area.

My mom is in Prince Frederick and they got clocked. Power out since 8pm and lots and lots of trees down. Neighbors are going house to house helping each other cut up the trees so people can get out of their driveways.

Lost power around 9 pm last night. Went to bed around 1ish with winds gusting and heavy rains. Woke up at 4 to check and didn't see anything major. Went out at 7 and saw that my neighbors pear tree fell onto my shed and house. Tree damaged the gutter on the house but left the shed intact. Power cam back on here at 11:30am.

Dumped 4.25" out of the gauge.

Neighborhood had only a couple trees down and none on any houses. Lots of leaves.

i don't know why some people around DC are complaining the storm didn't live up to expectations, the storm turned up far worse around immediate Metro area that any was initially projecting, with the possible exception of the Weather Channel. Now, if I was in NY, I would be a little bummed. Almost seems like it turned out worse in DC than it was up there.

i don't know why some people around DC are complaining the storm didn't live up to expectations, the storm turned up far worse around immediate Metro area that any was initially projecting, with the possible exception of the Weather Channel. Now, if I was in NY, I would be a little bummed. Almost seems like it turned out worse in DC than it was up there.

CWGs forecast was basically dead on.

I don't see it as overperforming, really. Multiple models were projecting in the general vicinity of that amount of rain, and the wind was fairly spot on, though I was somewhat surprised to see higher gusts for DC than Baltimore. I'm guessing many people didn't expect to see this many trees down this morning, though.

Did not under perform up here. Got more rain that was projected and the grass is thankful for it. Feel bad that it is worse for others though. Hope whoever is out of power is back on soon and the damage is minimal to property.

I don't see it as overperforming, really. Multiple models were projecting in the general vicinity of that amount of rain, and the wind was fairly spot on, though I was somewhat surprised to see higher gusts for DC than Baltimore. I'm guessing many people didn't expect to see this many trees down this morning, though.

We're such a skeptical area when it comes to weather. The models or model idea with known model biases, and projected storm interaction with land etc, began to lock in about 72-84 hours out. As far as hurricanes go it's probably about as well behaved of one we could get around here. MOS actually had DCA with higher winds than BWI. Some of it could also be that the river reduces friction so if you get the right wind direction you are going to max out in a spot like that.

Archived