Hurricane Irene Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stepped out back for 15 minutes. Couple of thoughts I had:

1. Trees are stronger than one would think,

2. I don't think there are any operating transformers left in my zip

3. I'm glad last July cut the tops off my 2 tallest and weakest trees. Tulip Poplars are weak trees and I had 2 60' tall ones 30 feet from my house....they're only 40' now.

4. I'm glad I don't own a home insurance company

5. My power isn't coming back for a while

6. How many pounds of dry ice do I need to buy?

7. Tropical systems are pretty awesome

8, I'll never buy a second home on the coast

9, My camping cooking gear is going to come in handy

10. Bud light and Jameson are a perfect pair

11. I'm going to be sad when my laptop battery dies

Stepped out back for 15 minutes. Couple of thoughts I had:

1. Trees are stronger than one would think,

2. I don't think there are any operating transformers left in my zip

3. I'm glad last July cut the tops off my 2 tallest and weakest trees. Tulip Poplars are weak trees and I had 2 60' tall ones 30 feet from my house....they're only 40' now.

4. I'm glad I don't own a home insurance company

5. My power isn't coming back for a while

6. How many pounds of dry ice do I need to buy?

7. Tropical systems are pretty awesome

8, I'll never buy a second home on the coast

9, My camping cooking gear is going to come in handy

10. Bud light and Jameson are a perfect pair

11. I'm going to be sad when my laptop battery dies

What is your location?

Looks like a nice band approaching from the NE, although I'm not sure the highest winds are even correlating with the bands anymore.

i think it still matters to some degree.. it's definitely a little calmer in a dry spot here

Winds relaxed here for a bit as well (Western Howard) for about 20-30 minutes, but they have picked up again nicely over the past 5 minutes or so. I imagine you'll have the same sort of deal

we should still get the p-grad tamer gusts later on too. More outages to come IMO!

Should have some good gusts in DC area when the little spokes rotate around from the NE.

It's been a few years so my memory isn't perfect but I'm pretty sure the gusts I've already had IMBY top Isabel. I didn't lose power during Isabel or have to clean up much.

Isabel knocked out power to 5 out of 7 Pepco customers (so over 500,000). I think it's a combination of a whole lot of reasons for why this storm hasn't already knocked out the same:

1)Wind direction is NE and N instead of SE like in Isabel-- a much more unusual direction for us

2)The ground wasn't as wet as in 2003

3)The snowstorms and two thunderstorms over the past couple of years have fallen the weaker trees already

4)The tree trimming operations helped

I heard on NBC DC that when the winds changes direction, we can expect a lot more power outages. Is there truth to this statement, and if so why does the direction matter here?

The wind has changed direction, it's NW or NNW right now. Having a bit of a Lull at the moment though, but winds 30min ago were Isabel Caliber.

Isabel knocked out power to 5 out of 7 Pepco customers (so over 500,000). I think it's a combination of a whole lot of reasons for why this storm hasn't already knocked out the same:

1)Wind direction is NE and N instead of SE like in Isabel-- a much more unusual direction for us

2)The ground wasn't as wet as in 2003

3)The snowstorms and two thunderstorms over the past couple of years have fallen the weaker trees already

4)The tree trimming operations helped

This is all true, but you really got to wait till tomorrow before you assess how bad, or not, the tree damage is. Plus, this it's not going to exactly be calm winds tomorrow a.m.

Archived