1 E OELLA 4.30 700 AM 8/28 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 ESE WHITE MARSH 4.28 700 AM 8/28 COCORAHS

1 SW TOWSON 4.05 830 AM 8/28 COCORAHS

1 SE GWYNN OAK 4.03 700 AM 8/28 COCORAHS

2 NE JACKSONVILLE 3.91 900 AM 8/28 COCORAHS

2 NE TOWSON 3.67 700 AM 8/28 COCORAHS

1 S ROSSVILLE 2.58 700 PM 8/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

3 WNW BALDWIN 2.53 800 AM 8/28 COCORAHS

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

BB - I thought you lived in Bethesda, not Perry Hall?

it's kinda silly to put two yellows with marginal color difference on the scale right next to e/o

plus lol.. they have a little tiny dot of green right over DCA. the reverse wind hole.

MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

GAITHERSBURG 72 159 AM 8/28 MESONET

1 NNW NORTH POTOMAC 54 345 AM 8/28 MESONET

ROCKVILLE 51 244 AM 8/28 MESONET

1 WSW DAMASCUS 51 239 AM 8/28 MESONET

1 ENE OLNEY 43 119 AM 8/28 MESONET

2 WSW ROCKVILLE 41 354 AM 8/28 MESONET

1 NNW CHEVY CHASE 41 353 AM 8/28 MESONET

1 W BETHESDA 40 419 AM 8/28 MESONET

2 E NORTH POTOMAC 35 354 AM 8/28 MESONET

interesting

interesting

yeah bethesda is a liar

:huh:

You don't think that station siting has anything to do with the wide range of gust readings? 35 in N Potomac to 72 in N gaithersburg? Synoptic scale winds do not feature that range of "hotspots" really at that distinction. This wasn't a squall line or multi-cellular cluster with varying ground level winds. In reality winds were likely distributed somewhat evenly.

And regardless that W bethesda station is nowhere near Little Falls. Again, a stupid excuse to bash me, somehow a WXstation in another Zip Code says anything about....what? You don't see that type of damage around here with a 40mph gust. The same few individuals hell bent to troll me and using manipulative tactics to do so.

Topography probably plays a large role there too in the gust values than can be measured/mapped.

Example:

NNW NORTH POTOMAC 54 345 AM 8/28 MESONET

E NORTH POTOMAC 35 354 AM 8/28 MESONET

Station siting issues are hard to correct for and can lead to deceptive interpretations on regional wind speeds, locally the difference would be very insignificant but the picture would be scewed overall. A damage survey is all one would need to determine an estimated wind gust range, and many of the readings gathered here are not supported by the data/evidence at hand.

And in return, it always the same thing "Bethesdaboy is Lying about Obs"... Well for one thing I didn't give any obs (measurements) whatsoever during the storm. Yet windows can be blown out in Central PA, and a 40mph gust in another zipcode means I'm a Liar...heck why don't I just cite the station 5 miles to the east with it's 53mph reading? Grasping for straws, continuously, you'll run out of straws to grasp. Save some for when it is logical to troll.

it's kinda silly to put two yellows with marginal color difference on the scale right next to e/o

plus lol.. they have a little tiny dot of green right over DCA. the reverse wind hole.

I bet you the 50 to 55 mph winds extended all the way up the potomac to DCA and that there was no local max.

I bet you the 50 to 55 mph winds extended all the way up the potomac to DCA and that there was no local max.

could be the case. tho im sorta skeptical on the 45-50 over all of dc. i guess it's possible but i saw a considerable number of large trees down without even looking.

could be the case. tho im sorta skeptical on the 45-50 over all of dc. i guess it's possible but i saw a considerable number of large trees down without even looking.

The heavier band dipping down in central MD from PA is interesting. I seem to recall the models all predicted that would occur.

Not trying to defend Bethesdawx, per se, but wind gust measurements from PNS's are especially bad to use for real analysis...much worse than rain amounts or even snowfall totals. Exposures are completely different and there's no assurance that the anemometers are all mounted at 10-m. All I think you can decipher is that the wind gust range in each of the DC-Baltimore area counties is remarkably uniform on the PNS. I'm pretty sure, like Wes may have been suggesting, that the wide wind field made for fairly uniform sustained speeds and gusts across the entire area away from the immediate shoreline.

/whine

I still have no power! I had to sleep on an air mattress on my little sisters floor, I had to share said air mattress (twin size) with the dog, who takes up a lot of space. I had to deal with downtown traffic in Baltimore since I was coming from the south of the city instead of the north. I have to go back to my parents this afternoon, I hope I have power tonight.

/end whine

I am too but over the open waters of the Potomac, I'd bet money that the winds were stronger and that is one of the reasons why DCA had the stronger gust. The winds are usually stronger over water where there is less friction.

/whine

I still have no power! I had to sleep on an air mattress on my little sisters floor, I had to share said air mattress (twin size) with the dog, who takes up a lot of space. I had to deal with downtown traffic in Baltimore since I was coming from the south of the city instead of the north. I have to go back to my parents this afternoon, I hope I have power tonight.

/end whine

You should have planned better, whinegirl

where can i find a map like that with the maximun wind gusts from Irene for PA.? I searched and found zip.......I kinda wanna show/tell that to my insurnace agent tommorrow.

Didn't NOAA do a write-up on that? Also depends where in PA you live, central/east central PA I'd guess in the 40-50mph range.

Though if you really had a window blown out and lining torn off your house that'd argue for something higher.

Archived