amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Irene Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure those same websites and/or newspapers were the ones hyping it up to begin with.

A lot of it is the scale.. this covered a gigantic piece of real estate full of tons of people. Most places took low-mod impact I think... some localized more severe as always and even mod impact is rate further north. If this was a cat 2 running into LI CT would be totally out of power with parts of the forested areas there heavily leveled. We all know the NYC scenarios... which this certainly was not.

This was about the "best" outcome we could have gotten if you don't like super disasters.

A lot of it is the scale.. this covered a gigantic piece of real estate full of tons of people. Most places took low-mod impact I think... some localized more severe as always and even mod impact is rate further north. If this was a cat 2 running into LI CT would be totally out of power with parts of the forested areas there heavily leveled. We all know the NYC scenarios... which this certainly was not.

This was about the "best" outcome we could have gotten if you don't like super disasters.

I completely agree with you on all counts. I suppose my comment was directed more at the media in general that likes to build things up and then tear them down

I completely agree with you on all counts. I suppose my comment was directed more at the media in general that likes to build things up and then tear them down

I don't think there's been a recent hurricane landfall where the phrase 'dodged a bullet' didn't appear in the articles immediately after... like Galveston dodged a bullet after Ike, etc. The cycle of hurricane coverage is really predictable. Of course, Katrina and Andrew made them eat their words, but even in all the other hurricanes, it's just plain short memories. How can every single hurricane be "not as bad as predicted?" Maybe that should lead to reflection that the coverage of the storm ahead of time needs to be altered so there's not this notion that the max winds/surge/rain is somehow supposed to appear in every single community in the hurricane's path.

BGE still has 467,000 out. I'm one of them. It sucks.

I was out since midnight, then on my way over to the office to do some stuff my daughter called and said power was back

I'm in shock because the BGE guy down on the road where the 4 trees fell across the wires that service our community said it would be 3-4 days!

I got lucky, assuming it stays on

at least my back up sump pump worked w/o a hitch, though I was up 5-6 times during the night to make certain the battery wasn't dead :axe:

in short, this storm sucked just like I thought it would

Wow BGE got pwned...220K restored already? PEPCO can't get off their lazy azz at fix anything, still (presumably) live wires down in many places.

I spoke with a family friend whose husband works for PEPCO - the issue right now is that there are a lot of outages that cover only one or two homes. Obviously it's going to take a while to get the number to go down when you are working house by house like that. Not all of the outages are ones that cover 4000 people and can simply flip a switch after one repair and have the number drop significantly.

I spoke with a family friend whose husband works for PEPCO - the issue right now is that there are a lot of outages that cover only one or two homes. Obviously it's going to take a while to get the number to go down when you are working house by house like that. Not all of the outages are ones that cover 4000 people and can simply flip a switch after one repair and have the number drop significantly.

Yeah but shouldn't they focus on the bigger outages first? There are kids all over this neighborhood and there are live wires laying in the grass/on the roads...Haven't seen one Pepco truck yet.

Also looks like my street is one of the few that has power (locally), most houses are dark.

Got a sad and somewhat pathetic story about PEPCO. Every activation they send a rep to the EOC. Yesterday our DOT rep had a wire clear request and turned around to ask the PEPCO rep to prioritize it. The PEPCO rep looks at the DOT guy and says "just call the customer service line, that's what I do". We were like why the hell are you sitting in the EOC.

Yeah but shouldn't they focus on the bigger outages first? There are kids all over this neighborhood and there are live wires laying in the grass/on the roads...Haven't seen one Pepco truck yet.

Also looks like my street is one of the few that has power (locally), most houses are dark.

They had 150 out of state crews staged at the Fairgrounds when I left the EOC at noon. We prioritize from the EOC. Priority 1 are Hospitals, Prisons, 911 center, EOC and the Potomac water treatment plant. Priority 2 are feeder lock outs and then from there it moves into the neighborhoods. We have always noticed a quick response from BG&E and still to this day cant figure out why PEPCO is so delayed with response units already in county from the Southeast and Ohio.

Archived