• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Irene Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

Well I just checked in with the BGE automated line and I was told that my power will be restored by 11:30pm this Friday. Based on my experiences this summer, these dates are always earlier than the actual time its restored. So I'm thinking at least the weekend or maybe later. I tried to be nice in my last post, but this is unnaccepable. All of them can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom is still without power in Prince Frederick. Plus, she has 15 trees down in her yard. She's a little stressed. Has Wes checked in? I think he lives in the same area and may be affected by the same power outage.

im guessing wes went down for the count as he predicted he would

You folks in Maryland are getting absolutely bent over. Everyone knows that the power is going to go out - the company even apologized before the storm - yet they can't figure out how to effectively reduce the length of the outages.

I really feel sorry for you. To be faced with the possibility of going nearly a week without power because of a few inches of rain and some gusty winds has to be maddening.

And, yes, underground power lines are a definite win in these cases.

You folks in Maryland are getting absolutely bent over. Everyone knows that the power is going to go out - the company even apologized before the storm - yet they can't figure out how to effectively reduce the length of the outages.

I really feel sorry for you. To be faced with the possibility of going nearly a week without power because of a few inches of rain and some gusty winds has to be maddening.

And, yes, underground power lines are a definite win in these cases.

My neighborhood has underground lines. Does me no good.

Well I just checked in with the BGE automated line and I was told that my power will be restored by 11:30pm this Friday. Based on my experiences this summer, these dates are always earlier than the actual time its restored. So I'm thinking at least the weekend or maybe later. I tried to be nice in my last post, but this is unnaccepable. All of them can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

All due to some rain and stiff breezes...

It is actually pretty sad.

Was that for your area specifically, or just in general?

here's a perfect example: pieces of shutters, shingles, and siding by themselves do not represent structural damage.

Why do you lie/manipulate my comments so much? Did you see the word "minor"?

and some minor structural damage

Thats what it is...minor structural damage...what is your freaking point here?

I was speaking for the I95 region as a whole regarding the wind speeds, knowing even up in Germantown wxbug stations had gusts over 60mph (64 @ Wxbug headquarters), and likely the gusts were at least that high in the I95 corridor further SE, places in Calvert/PG counties may very well have had higher winds.

Why do you always strive to pass me off as something I'm not? It isn't working. You are simply a troll grasping for straws...attempting to spread the message that I am exagerrating something when there is nothing to exagerrate.

Bethesda, I have no dog in this fight, but I think the argument is that shutters and shingles isn't structural damage. It's a terminology thing.

What is it called then? I'm really wondering actually...If I am classifying it wrong I don't mean to and would like to be corrected. Generally when I hear of houses losing siding/shingles/etc, it is referred to as "minor" structural damage...am I right?

Thats past major suckage! Being without power for awhile can be fun, but imo, after 24 hours, it just flat out sucks!

Are you still at your parents?

No, i went home last night. I'm at work today. We may go to my parents tonight and stay there if we still don't have power this evening.

Sorry to hear you are still waiting, katie. Really frustrating.

Longest I was ever down was 12 days following "Hurricane Elvis" - a straight-line derecho wind event in Memphis in July in the mid-00s (apparently it was 2003...getting older and timelines blur). That was brutal.

http://en.wikipedia....Hurricane_Elvis

I finally got mine back last night. So I guess you're right about that BGE message being a generic one. There's still about 250k people without power according to their site... ridiculous. Hope everyone gets their power back soon.

Thanks and yes its quite frustrating. I had to do my hair at work this morning hahaha, hubby took a cold shower last night. I actually have to go out and buy lunch for a change today.

Just got my cable back, only lost power for 7 hours or so but most of the county lost power and quite a few places still don't have power. Quite a bit of tree damage. I think the winds here were stronger than during isabel. I know I had to pick up more downed limbs and remove more leaves. Had breakfast with two friends. neither has power. Give me snowstorms over tropical storms/hurricanes any day.

I feel for y'all without power, 5 days in July of last yr in the heat...torture. Saving up for a generator, if possible, might be the best purchase you ever make living in the MA.

Somehow managed to keep power for most of the storm other than a 5 minute outage, shocking to a substantial degree given the winds blew harder than Isabel, which left much more without power.

unlike most, I was happy with BGE getting me power back on Sunday at 4:30pm

the street that supplies power has 4 trees down, with two of the four still held up by the wires on the telephone poles; BGE apparently put in a temporary line (yay!)

unfortunately, on those power lines lies the Comcast tv and internet cable

so I still have no tv, but my neighbor has let me mooch her Verizon internet (yeah, I know)

as of this morning, no work on getting the trees off the power lines, so it'll probably be the weekend before I have tv and my internet...meh

yeah, they gave me the same time. i think its a generic response

Yup, got a generator at my place. Let a friend borrow it cause he lost power while I didnt. Must suck to really have no plan for a power outage and blame the utility like this. Ohh the horror of you being without power.

This guy however

- A male, within the last 24 hours, who was dependent on medical equipment; went into cardiac arrest after his home lost electrical power in the storm. EMS responded, the individual was transported by EMS and pronounced dead at Dorchester General Hospital.

They have a reason to complain and it makes you just look whiny.

Archived