amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Irene Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst is over here, got some good photos of trees/wires down on by block and the neighboring block. Neighbors basketball hoops are all knocked over, roads covered by leaves/branches.

Worst of the storm was from midnight to 5AM, biggest gusts from ~1245AM to 130AM, and another round ~3AM to 4AM.

So much for not topping Isabel :P Hope my photos will come out ok once uploaded, Some of those gusts had to come between 65-75mph. 3 Large trees down within 3 blocks of my house(2 snapped off, 1 uprooted), and some minor structural damage (shutters, boards, shingles) are are a common sight.

So much for not topping Isabel :P Hope my photos will come out ok once uploaded, Some of those gusts had to come between 65-75mph. 3 Large trees down within 3 blocks of my house(2 snapped off, 1 uprooted), and some minor structural damage (shutters, boards, shingles) are are a common sight.

Amount of property damage? We have to hit 3.2 million in order to request a disaster declaration.

Getting the strongest sustained and gust winds of the storm thus far, in Middle River (KMTN - W 35mph G-45mph)

Have NOT lost power yet.

Memo to file: Do NOT tempt Irene by typing "have not lost power YET." I lost power within 5 minutes of typing the above... FARK.

1.5" here in Frederick (Ballenger Creek Area) only, one potted plant was blown over and lots of leaves on the ground. I have not been out so not sure if there is anything worse.

I know we were spared the worst that some of the rest of you got. When I went to bed at midnight the winds did pick up but nothing like what was to the S and SE/SW of us.

Currently we are in the final band and are getting some moderate rain and occasional small gusts.

I hope that all that have lost power get it back soon. And that any damage is minimal.

Just cracked 1.00" of rain for the event. Only the ECMWF had that kind of QPF output for this area. Still raining.

Peak gust was 31 mph at 5:03 a.m.

Massive tree down on Rosemont Ave in Alexandria, we won't be leaving anytime soon as it crosses the entire street, effectively keeping a couple hundred people out of their cars.

Still raining really good here in Rosemont.

Went to bed at around 1:00. Power apparently went off for a short while at around 1:30 or so. Woke up an hour ago to survey - we have a lot of branches and leaves strewn about, my vegetable garden took a pretty bad pummeling, and a 20' limb from my neighbor's beech smashed our new garden arbor. Walked down the block and didn't see anything major.

Exactly 4" in my trusty drinking-glass udometer.

Just cracked 1.00" of rain for the event. Only the ECMWF had that kind of QPF output for this area. Still raining.

Peak gust was 31 mph at 5:03 a.m.

I was just shy of 1 inch. I was really pleased. It looks like I missed the best part. I went on to bed only to be roused by pretty heavy rain around 1 o'clock. I peeked out, it was raining pretty hard, don't remember too much wind, went back to bed.

Here's some of the higher totals I've found for Maryland on Cocorahs (through 7:00 a.m.)

Denton 5.8 WSW (Caroline) 11.55”

Leonardtown 0.6 NE (Sr. Mary’s) 11.35”

Easton 2.4 SE (Talbot) 11.34”

Hollywood 3.8 E (St. Mary’s) 10.11”

Bellevue 0.3 NNE (Talbot) 9.40”

Greensboro 1.4 ENE (Caroline) 9.35”

Bishopville 3 SE (Worcester) 7.71”

Salisbury 3.7 SSE (Wicomico) 7.54”

Elkton 3.8 NNW (Cecil) 7.10”

Brandywine 6.7 SSE (Prince Georges) 6.76”

Bowie 2.4 NNE (Prince Georges) 6.65”

Waldorf 3.6 SSE (Charles) 6.45”