• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

I probably almost passed out last summer in Philly watching the Mets, no joke it was too hot.  Now it would be too cold for me.

My brother in law passed out a few years ago. Too hot that day.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

^^What does it look like for Putnam and northwestern Fairfield counties?

Data for March 1, 2024 through April 13, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Name
Station Type
Total Precipitation 
CARMEL 4N COOP 11.49
BEACON 4.2 ESE CoCoRaHS 8.79

Data for March 1, 2024 through April 13, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Name
Station Type
Total Precipitation 
STRATFORD 0.2 ESE CoCoRaHS 14.02
FAIRFIELD 1.5 NE CoCoRaHS 13.87
PUTNAM LAKE COOP 13.84
STRATFORD 0.9 W CoCoRaHS 13.53
IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL AIRPORT WBAN 12.70
NEW CANAAN 1.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 12.58
NORWALK 1.4 ENE CoCoRaHS 12.44
NORWALK 2.9 NNW CoCoRaHS 12.31
SHELTON 1.3 W CoCoRaHS 11.90
BRIDGEPORT 2.9 NNW CoCoRaHS 11.84
RIDGEFIELD 2.4 NNE CoCoRaHS 11.44
NEW CANAAN 3.8 N CoCoRaHS 11.37
DARIEN 2.4 NW CoCoRaHS 11.11
NEWTOWN 4.6 SE CoCoRaHS 10.76
BETHEL 4.5 SSE CoCoRaHS 10.72
RIDGEFIELD 3.7 NNE CoCoRaHS 10.41
DARIEN 3.6 N CoCoRaHS 10.39
RIDGEFIELD 3.6 N CoCoRaHS 10.34
BROOKFIELD 3.3 SSE CoCoRaHS 10.30
DANBURY MUNICIPAL AP WBAN 10.29
BETHEL 0.5 E CoCoRaHS 10.09
BETHEL 3.5 NNE CoCoRaHS 9.85
DANBURY COOP 9.29
  • Thanks 1

Tomorrow will turn noticeably warmer under partly sunny skies. The temperature will rise into the upper 60s and perhaps lower 70s. Monday and Tuesday will be warm days with widespread readings in the 70s.

Afterward, it will turn somewhat cooler with unsettled conditions before a stronger cold shot arrives during the next weekend.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.1°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.2°C for the week centered around April 3. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.28°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.22°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was +4.97 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +3.926 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 65% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal April (1991-2020 normal). April will likely finish with a mean temperature near 55.6° (2.0° above normal).

6 hours ago, ILoveWinter said:

Awful day. Climate in NYC is beginning to really stink now for half the year: Winters too warm for snow and Spring, while not necessarily below average are overly raw and wet. 

Constant 40-50 with rain several days a week from october thru may. This sucks. And is worth moving for. Being Maritime like Seattle or London

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Constant 40-50 with rain several days a week from october thru may. This sucks. And is worth moving for. Being Maritime like Seattle or London

Don’t forget the wind storms. Every week we get howling winds as well. Awful 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Don’t forget the wind storms. Every week we get howling winds as well. Awful 

Yesterday I noticed a nice ding in a neighbor down the street's metal fence and a huge tree branch next to it. So many wind storms I have no idea which one did it. 

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

Weird how in winter the models always correct warmer as we get closer to a date and in April they always correct cooler and wetter for the past many years now. I’ll die on the hill that April is our worst weather month. 

I think the problem with April is that while warmer than March overall, our expectations are higher for April than for March.  I also think that the earlier start to daylight savings puts us mentally in Spring mode sooner than we should be. Anyone with kids in outdoor sports knows that we all freeze our a**es off from March until some point in May, when suddenly a switch is flipped and it's tolerable for a week before oppressive heat kicks in that no one is prepared for.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I think the problem with April is that while warmer than March overall, our expectations are higher for April than for March.  I also think that the earlier start to daylight savings puts us mentally in Spring mode sooner than we should be. Anyone with kids in outdoor sports knows that we all freeze our a**es off from March until some point in May, when suddenly a switch is flipped and it's tolerable for a week before oppressive heat kicks in that no one is prepared for.

I agree that there is a psychological element to it, but the gloominess over the past few years has made it feel worse.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Nailed it. Lax season always started with coats and hats and ended with shorts while football season started in shorts and ended in coats and hats. The thing is, we're 'miserable' on the sidelines watching the kids play but it's all over before you know it so make the most out of whatever weather hand you're dealt.

37 for the low up here this morning. Keeping an eye on this afternoon but thinking the severe will be further west. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

but it's all over before you know it so make the most out of whatever weather hand you're dealt.

I totally agree.  I already mourn for when it will be over.  Hands down, I'll take standing out there watching in 40s with rain and wind over 70s with blue skies but no more games left to watch..  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My guess is that this persistent trough near the Northeast is related to the +IOD creating a MJO 2 type pattern. 

E33DCC84-BCCE-45D8-9233-215FB7523BC7.thumb.png.601c77fcc79fcd60c557700ada82eafe.png

803C4B3F-D6B4-4E68-B337-1BE9B4991767.thumb.jpeg.c6aa628bc0609b651121a66bfa111026.jpeg

D1BCBEB1-27D5-4B16-8E46-A38222F49007.thumb.png.377c83e0f34e59502c22a4906d715317.png

If the models are overdoing this +IOD event, which is possible and we go into a -IOD, I think this La Niña explosively develops this summer and fall, should that happen, there’s a chance it becomes a record event (i.e. 73-74, 88-89). The ingredients, both atmospheric and oceanic are definitely there

• Like 3

41 now to 55.  Sun - Tue warm and dry/clear.   Low to mid 70s today and Tuesday.  Mid / upper 70s tomorrow (perhaps a few 80 readings).  Clouds and cooler again by Wed - Sat.    Cooler 4/21 - 4/25.  We'll see if guidance is right keeping it overall drier once past Friday.    Onshore persistence could keep it cooler.  Ridging twrds the close of the month.

vis_nj_anim.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 93 (2023)
NYC: 91 (2023)
LHA: 89 (2023)

Lows:

EWR: 26 (1950)
NYC:  26 (1950)
LGA: 27 (1950)

Historical:

1873 - A famous Easter blizzard raged across Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota. Gale force winds blew the wet snow into massive drifts, however there were few deaths due to the sparse population and due to the gradual increase of the storm. (David Ludlum)

1886 - A devastating tornado, 800 yards in width at times, cut a twenty mile path through Saint Cloud MN killing 74 persons. The bottom of the Mississippi River was said to have been seen during the tornado's crossing. Eleven persons were killed at a wedding party near the town of Rice. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1912: On her maiden voyage, the RMS Titanic rammed into an iceberg just before midnight. The "unsinkable ship" sank two hours and forty minutes later into the icy water of the Atlantic Ocean near Newfoundland, Canada. Tragically, 1,517 passengers including the crew were lost. A nearby ship, the Carpathia, rushed to the Titanic and was able to save 706 people. 

1922: The Mississippi River reached a record height of 21.3 feet at New Orleans, Louisiana, and the river was still rising, with the crest still a week away. Understandably, the City of New Orleans was nervous as reports of levees failing upriver reached the city. A crevasse below New Orleans would relieve the pressure on the town's strained levees on the 27th, spared the city from disaster.

1935: Black Sunday refers to a particularly severe dust storm that occurred on April 14, 1935, as part of the Dust Bowl. During the afternoon, the residents of the Plains States were forced to take cover as a dust storm, or "black blizzard," blew through the region. The storm hit the Oklahoma Panhandle and Northwestern Oklahoma first and moved south for the remainder of the day. It hit Beaver around 4:00 p.m., Boise City around 5:15 p.m., and Amarillo, Texas, at 7:20 p.m. The conditions were the most severe in the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles, but the storm's effects were felt in other surrounding areas.

1987 - A storm system moving slowly northeastward across the Middle Mississippi Valley produced severe thunderstorms which spawned three tornadoes around Ottumwa IA, and produced up to four inches of rain in southeastern Nebraska, flooding rivers and streams. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A weather disturbance off the southern coast of California brought parts of southern California their first rain in six weeks. Rain-slickened roads resulted in numerous accidents in southern California, including a ten car pile-up at Riverside. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Late afternoon thunderstorms in northern Florida soaked the town of Golden Gate with 4.37 inches of rain in about two hours, resulting in local flooding. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - Thunderstorms developing along a cold front produced severe weather in southeastern Texas during the mid morning hours. Thunderstorms produced dime size hail at Galveston, and wind gusts to 59 mph at Port Arthur. Afternoon thunderstorms over southeast Louisiana spawned tornadoes south of Bogalusa and at Rio. (Storm Data)

1999: In Sydney, Australia, a hailstorm causes $1.6 billion in damage, making it the costliest hailstorm to strike a populated city in the country. The hail damaged some 22,000 homes and more than 60,000 vehicles. Also, aircraft damage at Sydney Airport was extensive.

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

If the models are overdoing this +IOD event, which is possible and we go into a -IOD, I think this La Niña explosively develops this summer and fall, should that happen, there’s a chance it becomes a record event (i.e. 73-74, 88-89). The ingredients, both atmospheric and oceanic are definitely there

El Niño to La Niña transition summers are usually pretty hot. So we’ll probably need to keep the pattern very wet to take the edge off the warmer potential. But that would come with the price of higher dewpoints. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Meh. My guess is they die out and we get weak showers and some wind

FB_IMG_1713102209186.jpg

From OKX AFD:

While there is deep-layer shear present with strong mid-level
flow, instability is generally weak and confined primarily to
the mid levels. Surface-based CAPE is located mainly north and
west of the NYC metro with SPC HREF max CAPE values of 500-1000
J/KG. Mean CAPE values are less than 250 J/KG. This is partly
due to the frontal timing in the evening after max insolation,