Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

8 minutes ago, hstorm said:

Fairfax announced this fall that they won’t do virtual on snow days this year. Not sure about other districts. 

Baltimore County has 3 traditional snow days built into the calendar then will go virtual 4th day onward.

1 minute ago, TowsonTownT said:

Baltimore County has 3 traditional snow days built into the calendar then will go virtual 4th day onward.

Gone are the days where a 12"+ storm will give kids a week off. I got a week off Senior year from the 2016 storm, so I got to experience the last of it.

3 minutes ago, TowsonTownT said:

Correct and they haven’t used any yet, just delays or early dismissals which still count as a school day. 

3 minutes ago, JenkinsJinkies said:

Gone are the days where a 12"+ storm will give kids a week off. I got a week off Senior year from the 2016 storm, so I got to experience the last of it.

Virtual days would not be what you may be thinking.  I think the vast majority of students and teachers would take a virtual day for snow than add a day at the end of the year.  There would still be plenty of time for snow frolicking on a virtual "school" day.

25 and snizzle.

• Like 2

Despite the radar returns (I live in a well-documented radar hole that is shaped like an isosceles triangle), it has been snowing all day here.  Only have about 1.5” to show for it, but I will take a cold smoke snow for 24 hrs straight storm all day every day.  NFL playoff football and a roaring wood stove and good beer and herbs and snow.  Life is good, y’all!

IMG_8793.jpeg

• Like 20

41 minutes ago, arlwx12 said:

On school alerts:

I think the preliminary decisions for the lowlanders (Arlington/Alexandria/Falls Church/Fairfax) won't come until after 4 pm, and may start off as school delays rather than school closings. ((Have to save it up for Febrruary...))

PW and Loudoun may start off sooner, and may go straight to closings, as they have higher elevations.

Nah. Most will be closed tomorrow (except DC), with probably a delay on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Despite the radar returns (I live in a well-documented radar hole that is shaped like an isosceles triangle), it has been snowing all day here.  Only have about 1.5” to show for it, but I will take a cold smoke snow for 24 hrs straight storm all day every day.  NFL playoff football and a roaring wood stove and good beer and herbs and snow.  Life is good, y’all!

IMG_8793.jpeg

That’s good for La Plata!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Home from CT. Moco death band setting up early it appears. Getting the hazy look with light snow now. Awesome. 

Welcome home to the MoCo hood. Nice to have you back. Settle in for some cold smoke! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

Yeah it just actually started "snowing" here.  Very light still but flake size got bigger.

Fell asleep on couch last night, woke up at 3:20am...light snow! And it was beautiful. For most of the daylight hours thus far...light snow! I'm struggling to remember the last time I saw snow falling within a 24 hr period.

Currently 29, the early AM snow is holding on, and snow intensity picking up over pst 30 min. Tentative congrats to those of you in the northern half of the District progged to get ~3" -- God knows y'all deserve it after years of screw jobs.

• Like 2