• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The issues aloft you mention, notwithstanding ... the bold appears to be the bigger constraint when negotiating p-type ( from what I'm seeing).

Firstly, the storm's synopsis and features may be too far NW-N?

It's been discussed in the past ... the NAM tends to have a NW bias over the western Atlantic Basin with handling coastal cyclogen and subsequent tracks - particularly outside 36 to 48 hour window. 

In addition to above, there is also a known tendency for systems of more than less S origin, to bump N as they move into shorter ranges. 

Those are two disparate error considerations.

This run of the NAM strikes me as logistically having both those issues questionable.  Or not, but the point being, ...since they are valid I would be careful. 

I'll toss in another complicating factor, there's been a steady increase in mid level activity/vorts in the Midwest too since the western feature started getting sampled.

I agree with you, FWIW on inherent NAM biases at hr 60, part of the reason i'm cautious and suspicious it's a bit overwarmed.

1 minute ago, Winter Wizard said:

The trailing vort over the Deep South tells the story here...it's more progressive, so the trough turns negative sooner, and that allows our storm to deepen further. The ceiling has been raised with this one. 

c1134b54-b6f2-4665-ba9e-0383595d8851.gif

That's the feature to get a higher ceiling for sure, and the trend today so far. Can see the low of NJ sort of sitting there waiting haha.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Big question, is it believable? That run is pretty much perfection here... 

Just like the 00z Euro, I’d need to see more from other guidance to really see it as anything other than an outlier. For reasons posted above though the ceiling is pretty high, even if it doesn’t quite work out in the end. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Only matter of time until the Canadian starts to suck in the NNE crew.

I am giving it a side-eyed glance but much like the young, attractive French girls in the Montreal of my youth, it will probably not give me the time of day.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's funny the GGEM is more amped than its hi res brother.

Yeah it just rips that initial front-running s/w north into Maine with very little resistance....that causes the trailer to close off further north too. Tossed for now, but we keep an eye on that possibility.

A much stronger initial s/w would make the WAA thump really good, but it would make the grand finale rtoo far northeast for most of us....mostly a Maine thing.

• Like 1

The Canadian has also trended the way of the GFS, that 2nd vort catching up. It's not fully there yet, further north of a close off compared to the GFS. But we'll see if this trend continues into the evening and overnight suites

51b00d50-13bc-40e7-8646-36570164bffb.thumb.gif.6af69b46372c3c77bb6f06cdcaf1a7ef.gif

• Like 1