Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, CAPE said:

The complication of NS shortwaves digging south. This is really close to something good, but wave interactions/ timing is so critical. A tad too much/too soon. All our hopes and dreams are dependent on the random nature of it lol.

1704391200-ZvJhg5fJeIs.png

What changed over the last few days that now so many northern vorts are involved? 

Compared to more pure southern stream

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The complication of NS shortwaves digging south. This is really close to something good, but wave interactions/ timing is so critical. A tad too much/too soon. All our hopes and dreams are dependent on the random nature of it lol.

1704391200-ZvJhg5fJeIs.png

Look at those height lines. We are getting close

• Like 4

Just now, Chris78 said:

What changed over the last few days that now so many northern vorts are involved? 

Compared to more pure southern stream

Guidance seems to be picking up on the impressive amplitude of the EPO ridge, which exhibits a wave break, capturing NS energy underneath in the flow between it and  the west side of the TPV, sending it southward. It's pretty exciting from a physics perspective, but it becomes more complex wrt getting the ultimate outcome we want. We do simple pretty well.. complicated is more of a crapshoot lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Not binary. There are always gray areas. Nuance. 

Don't know the reason for the snark here as I just asked a layman question...but getting back to the point I get it. I was legit wondering--this is my first niño tracking since being on this board (I was here in 2016 but wasn't looking at things as closley), so I really haven't known what to expect on some things like that. How much NS we get in a niño, how it looks...etc.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree with the CC point. Wrt this winter I want to get more snow from this next window also but I wouldn’t rule out still going epic even if it doesn’t start until late January.  Week SPV, Nino, -qbo the ingredients are there to go on an absolute tear if we can just time things up.  We can hit climo in one storm in a Nino.  Then all we need are a couple other hits and we get into memorable season territory.  1958, 1966, 1987, 2010 all had epic runs post Jan 20.  So long as we see the seeds being laid, nao going negative mainly…I think we are still ok  

One reason is that NWP is better at picking out the major long wave flow at range than discreet surface features. Another is that we can look at an ensemble mean to get an even better idea of the long wave pattern but you can’t do that as effectively with surface features. Plus if you are skilled you’re often better off figuring out what should happen given the long wave pattern at range than relying on the surface details of nwp. 

Right.. I dont know if anyone remembers this but the weather channel used to have a segment called "A look ahead" where they would show the jet stream pattern up to 7-10 days in the future.  It was a great segment and they used it to warn people ahead of time for snow storm potential.  That  was probably my earliest memories of following weather models. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WSWL said:

You are the only poster who gives a crap about these stupid, worthless maps. Please just stop 

I personally like Weather Will's contributions, including these crazy maps. Have some Christmas cheer, man....or at least have another spiked egg nog. Merry Christmas everyone! May we all be blessed with massive snows soon.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WSWL said:

You are the only poster who gives a crap about these stupid, worthless maps. Please just stop 

That’s not the Christmas spirit, Clark. Have a drink, go for a walk, to bed, etc. let’s not be nasty with each other tonight. That can resume on the 26th. 

• Like 6