Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17/18 Disco/Obs - Rain/Wind Event

Weather Will

49 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

You’re right that you can, my point is it is harder. The answer is a bit complicated.

Part of the answer is in the physical process of rain and snow formation and how fast they fall.

Rain forms through liquid droplets coalescing in the atmosphere creating larger and heavier droplets that can fall quicker under the force of gravity

Snowflakes form when water vapor turns directly into ice crystals. 

Snowflakes form at a slower rate than rain droplets and obviously the structure is different with air pockets within the snow flake causing them to be lighter than rain drops.

Thus,

Rain can physically fall at a faster rate than snow and rain forms at a faster rate.

This explains it better.

https://geo.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Geography_(Physical)/The_Physical_Environment_(Ritter)/07%3A_Atmospheric_Moisture/7.04%3A_Clouds_and_Precipitation/7.4.03%3A_Precipitation_Process

Bergeron Process vs Warm-Rain Process 

Now assuming that one is dealing with the Bergeron Process for areas that get rain and areas that get snow, rain will still fall at a faster rate due to structure differences between a snow flake vs rain drop.

SnowLover22 you are a genius. Thank you very much. The entire document is now on my drive cloud as well as on my 5G tablet. I can tell you, I will be GLUED to this entire document thru the night. Thanks again. You have made my day.

12 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Just like last week, another underperformer out here.  Forecasted 2 - 3 got me 1.31".  I forgot how much I disliked these coastal systems where we get 1/2 the precip of the rest of you.

Oh stop. You'll get double the snow out there then here in the lowland swamps when we get a colder storm. 

Wind is starting to roar through the woods. I had about 3" of rain here I'd estimate. 

Only 0.41 when I dumped the CoCoRaHS this morning. SHARP cutoff from I-81 west on the rain totals. But the WIND is roaring lol. Stuck at 40-42 all day and night until around 1 am, then it spiked to a 47 high before starting to fall and the winds began to crank. 'Shoe and Canaan have already went to snow, along with the Rt 250 camera in Highland Co. Currently 39.9/34.3 and falling with a NW wind at 14 gusting to 27 mph. MAYBE the flakes make it here later??? 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic