Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

9 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Yea seeing first legit signal for NAO. Might have to endure -PNA for a bit… hopefully not rest of season….

a -PNA isn’t nearly as much of an annoyance in March due to shorter wavelengths. a -PNA/-NAO late in the year can be quite good as long as the PNA isn’t like -5 sigma 

the -PNA would provide lots of shortwaves and the -NAO would provide a 50/50 that would keep things from cutting. they can be pretty great if you do get that semipermanent 50/50

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

a -PNA isn’t nearly as much of an annoyance in March due to shorter wavelengths. a -PNA/-NAO late in the year can be quite good as long as the PNA isn’t like -5 sigma 

the -PNA would provide lots of shortwaves and the -NAO would provide a 50/50 that would keep things from cutting. they can be pretty great if you do get that semipermanent 50/50

Dr. Amy Butler had a good thread on Twitter yesterday about late SSWs and the MJO phase when they occur. Long story short, this current setup and SSW is conducive to producing a durable -NAO in a couple/few weeks.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Dr. Amy Butler had a good thread on Twitter yesterday about late SSWs and the MJO phase when they occur. Long story short, this current setup and SSW is conducive to producing a durable -NAO in a couple/few weeks.

yeah, not gonna lie, I’m getting cautiously optimistic. I want to see the -NAO at within 10 days, first of all, but I think the first 20 days of March could be quite fun before climo becomes problematic

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

it seems like the clipper midweek next week may provide the first wave break that leads to blocking later on in the run. this is something that we want to monitor... if this continues to trend stronger or even remain the same, it will make it much easier for a -NAO to form

the 12z GFS looks to be doing the same FWIW

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom-1676354400-1676916000-1677175200-20-1.thumb.gif.2fb5e5f22198da74ff5871a1ec463560.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Crazier part is this the most loaded the models have been the entire winter season thus far. Could potentially make up alot of lost ground in a relatively short time frame.

Just in time for when most of us just want to move onto spring. Who could have expected that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

So we race the clock. Similar to 2018.  I’ve been hopeful of a late season window of opportunity but the base state has been so warm I do wonder. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So we race the clock. Similar to 2018.  I’ve been hopeful of a late season window of opportunity but the base state has been so warm I do wonder. 

March 22nd, 2018 according to my google photos.  McKeldin Mall, UMD College Park. If snow could accumulate then in that part of the UHI, I'm game for it happening again.

image.png.8f10d19c674539f63e67eab755271379.png

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

A lot of us have learned and are jaded.  It won't be there on 18z, so what's the point?   It'll be just 10 days away tho

Of course it will be gone here shortly. We all know that! But, it’s Valentine’s Day, it’s happy hour, maybe we’ll get some extra love today. :hug:

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic