Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

5 hours ago, BristowWx said:

That can’t be good.  I guess the trees know what to do but hard to imagine if they bloom we won’t have several hard freezes.  Maybe we won’t 

I can tell you exactly what happens because I have seen it before. They will drop every leaf and immediately grow new ones.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I Commend your optimism but given how hopeful you’ve been several times this year I’d hate to know how absolutely screwed we must be when you say the long range looks bad. 

yeah there will be nothing until the 23rd, which is also a maybe. IMO anything before like the 26th or so is gravy. the -NAO looks a bit more real, at least, which is when things would get more interesting for everyone. it's moving up in time and is showing up on OP runs and ensembles

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:04 PM, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yep.  Not a big deal.  The only concern is for crop trees.

EastCoast NPZ ... Wow ... how much snow have you had there in Cross Junction area? It's been a toxic train wreck (worse than the real one in OH) of a season there! 

Increasing odds of split time retirement between VA & OR for me. Certainly will be interesting how the climate unfolds over the next 20 years.  After that I will be too old to care!

Photo from my last winter in Virginia.  Taken in Boyce VA Feb 2014. 

remember the nice storms that winter? 

My daughter in the picture is now a graduating senior.  visiting Universities all over the USA including this weekend in the midwest. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, snownut said:

EastCoast NPZ ... Wow ... how much snow have you had there in Cross Junction area? It's been a toxic train wreck (worse than the real one in OH) of a season there! 

Increasing odds of split time retirement between VA & OR for me. Certainly will be interesting how the climate unfolds over the next 20 years.  After that I will be too old to care!

Photo from my last winter in Virginia.  Taken in Boyce VA Feb 2014. 

remember the nice storms that winter? 

My daughter in the picture is now a graduating senior.  visiting Universities all over the USA including this weekend in the midwest. 

Feb-13-2014.jpeg

I kept telling him how much more snow he would get there instead of when he was in Stephens City. It has been abysmal since he move there. :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

No notable signal for frozen in our region on the 12z EPS until the very end of the month. Only about 2 weeks away!

Time for a new 'March will be rocking' LR thread? Maybe there is another word that can be substituted for rocking.

I'm just now starting to learn how to read the ensembles/height patterns, but it can't be a good thing when the SE ridge migrates west into the GOM.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I kept telling him how much more snow he would get there instead of when he was in Stephens City. It has been abysmal since he move there. :)

Making a move to a location with a "slightly better" climo in our general region probably won't make much difference at this point lol. Hell it doesn't even snow on Mount PSU anymore.

Need to move to the western highlands to notice a significant difference.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Making a move to a location with a "slightly better" climo in our general region probably won't make much difference at this point lol. Hell it doesn't even snow on Mount PSU anymore.

Need to move to the western highlands to notice a significant difference.

The problem is it’s stupid expensive everywhere.  I looked out west the next best place for my line of work..Denver…stupid there too

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Lived in Winchester/ Frederick County area from 1973 to 2004 so recall many borderline events that Cross Junction area way outperformed Winc. He is a real  “drought whisperer”  it follows him wherever he goes!  

Are you in Winchester?

I lived on Allen Drive in town a couple years when going through a divorce. Then moved to Aldie (Loudoun County) and Boyce (Clarke County) before moving to Oregon.  Childhood I was in Frederick County.. little place called Grimes.  Still had the post office in 1973.  Never forget the Feb 1983 storm.. 32” plus in Grimes with thunder / lighting and 4” per hour rates!   Once-in-a-lifetime event to experience.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Very depressing WB video from JB this afternoon.  Basically, he was not impressed with the 12Z runs, and the GFS modeling is taking the MJO into phase 6 on March 1 which puts a final nail in our winter coffin.  I guess we will know soon enough but Lucy is holding the football once again for Charlie Brown…

81F0403E-D3DB-4DE6-89A8-37AE8415C1AB.png

F this winter. Bring on 70s!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

• mappy unpinned this topic