Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The NAO has always had more impact the later in a season we go. March 2018 had the greatest affect of all the recent -NAOs. But at some point I’d like to see that a -NAO can overcome the pac in Dec-early Feb. Im pretty sure they can still work in March when shorter wavelengths mute the pac affects to begin with. But ultimately we need blocking to work Dec to Feb also if we want anything resembling what we think of as normal snow climo. 

It worked a couple years before that in Jan 2016. We have had a run with multiple Ninas and shitty neutrals since then. We need a mod Nino.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Not much hope from Larry Cosgrove in his weekly newsletter. Still a chance at something wintry the first week of March but other then that winter sounds pretty much over which isn't a shock. He can still see how March will be a  warmer month and doesnt seem overly enthused about the SSWE and probably shouldn't be.

No disrespect to the man  I like reading his Letters but he has not been that stellar this year

• Like 1

As modeled, the SPV is not a happy camper by the end of the month. What impacts that will have on our sensible weather going forward remains to be seen. Looks plenty cold across Canada on the means, but the h5 response we want is for the AO and NAO to trend negative in order to get the cold further southward and the shift the boundary to our south. Seeing that idea to some degree on the GEFS, as well as some of the extended products.

1677456000-IFzgEcfsDHc.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

It worked a couple years before that in Jan 2016. We have had a run with multiple Ninas and shitty neutrals since then. We need a mod Nino.

2019 was a moderate Nino wasn't it?  I remember there being debate about whether it was a modoki or not.  Either way, results were the same: SER and WAR ruled the roost.

11 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Latest WB GEFS extended throws us a Hail Mary but it takes us until early March to get there….

3C6E86D4-9C09-4B13-ACC5-4440C399FB8B.png

2DC9AAFE-889E-4852-955B-7B70136A051F.png

This has been the expectation. If we are to see a more favorable pattern, it would be the last few days of Feb into early March.

Latest GEFS runs have the AO and NAO trending towards neutral by day 15, so it makes sense the GEFSx continues it. 

4 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

2019 was a moderate Nino wasn't it?  I remember there being debate about whether it was a modoki or not.  Either way, results were the same: SER and WAR ruled the roost.

It was some sort of Nino, but I don't recall the strength. It was weird and the atmosphere acted more like a Neutral iirc. I don't think it was a modoki though.

I brought up 2016 because of the NAO block, and it produced a big storm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

As modeled, the SPV is not a happy camper by the end of the month. What impacts that will have on our sensible weather going forward remains to be seen. Looks plenty cold across Canada on the means, but the h5 response we want is for the AO and NAO to trend negative in order to get the cold further southward and the shift the boundary to our south. Seeing that idea to some degree on the GEFS, as well as some of the extended products.

1677456000-IFzgEcfsDHc.png

That modeled 10mb would correlate to -NAO tendency March 8-15. 

Last year we had a pretty strong +NAO at that time, and we have been reversing lasts years pattern more than mathematical average, so it fits. 

I would not be surprised if a +EPO/-PNA occurred at the same time as a downwelling -NAO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Consistent signal still showing up after the 20thgfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_44.thumb.png.6a93a324f2170acbe601ed68d0d31f73.png

Not consistent across guidance, and only a weak signal on the GEFS to this point. That said, the advertised h5 look starts to improve around this time so not out of the question there could be something trackable towards the 25th. 

• mappy unpinned this topic