Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

So am I if I have to read the phrase “base state” one more GD time

Well then what would you like to call it? I mean I do get the annoyance because it conjures up "not gonna snow as much" vibes/fears, BUT...I am wondering if there's actually a way to quantify what that "state" actually is.

19 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

So am I if I have to read the phrase “base state” one more GD time

Discussions about the current base state can be frustrating. Especially since the pacific base state is about the worst base state you could imagine a base state to be.  Almost any base state would be better than this base state. Base state discussion can also be redundant since the current base state has been the base state since 2016. But it’s hard to ignore the base state when the base state overlays what happens within the base state. I think we’ll just have to cope with hearing about the base state and debate about how the base state effects synoptic details within said base state and speculation when the base state might change to a better base state.  Enjoy your base state. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 24

31 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Discussions about the current base state can be frustrating. Especially since the pacific base state is about the worst base state you could imagine a base state to be.  Almost any base state would be better than this base state. Base state discussion can also be redundant since the current base state has been the base state since 2016. But it’s hard to ignore the base state when the base state overlays what happens within the base state. I think we’ll just have to cope with hearing about the base state and debate about how the base state effects synoptic details within said base state and speculation when the base state might change to a better base state.  Enjoy your base state. 

Sounds like a good name for a beer.  BASE STATE IPA!!  Or BASE STATE Stout!

7bjodb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Frederick is the new Asheville, Bmore is the new Raleigh, and Charlotte is the new DC...

...at least until the PDO trends positive.

Sort of kidding, but not totally.

i mean that's basically how this winter has played out.  DC's winter has looked like a typical Charlotte, NC winter.

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

retrograding ridge is now showing up on the mean. nice to see

again, most of the members with a SE ridge don't have the blocking at all or they keep it east-based and over Iceland. the vast majority of members with a legit central/west-based -NAO have the typical 50/50 response

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-1676635200-1677499200-1678017600-20-2.thumb.gif.4d2fdfdab57ee682e42e09d936dc5c5c.gif

How well would those ideal heights at 500mb translate to the surface up to 850 given how mild it's been?  Not sure if this is accurate analysis since I know the pattern can flip fairly quick, but it seems like we would need some time to get temps where we would need them at all levels, not just at H5.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You have more energy and time than I do.

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

i mean that's basically how this winter has played out.  DC's winter has looked like a typical Charlotte, NC winter.

And New York City and Boston and Albany and Rochester... and just about any of city on the East Coast.  This is not a Mid Atlantic thing... This is an East Coast thing.  When the West usually get blasted we get screwed and vise versa.  I am just using this post for a general purposes and not singling it out.  Everyone on the east coast has suffered this year.  We just whine about it better than any other region.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Interstate said:

And New York City and Boston and Albany and Rochester... and just about any of city on the East Coast.  This is not a Mid Atlantic thing... This is an East Coast thing.  When the West usually get blasted we get screwed and vise versa.

to me the most unnerving thing is that it's not like we've had shots of freak warmth (although we might get that next week).  Sure, we've gotten to around 70, but it isn't THAT atypical for a given winter for it to happen once or twice.  It's just been... mild - basically wall to wall.  It hasn't felt like winter at all except for a few fleeting moments.

• Like 2

Just now, pazzo83 said:

to me the most unnerving thing is that it's not like we've had shots of freak warmth (although we might get that next week).  Sure, we've gotten to around 70, but that isn't THAT atypical for a given winter for it to happen once or twice.  It's just been... mild - basically wall to wall.  It hasn't felt like winter at all except for a few fleeting moments.

La Ninas will do that.

7 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

yeah this feels fundamentally different in terms of the wholesale absence of winter

The pattern was decent for much of December, but we were unlucky(plus climo). Since then the Aleutian ridge has been strong and stable, and in a very unfavorable position. That's pretty much the ball game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Not all Ninas are complete ratters like this one.

Yeah this is bad even for nina standards. I mean I don't remember a nina that was practically wall-to-wall warm like this. In Feb, maybe (in fact just saw a fb memory of getting an inch or two a day after it was 70, lol)...but definitely not on the front end! This was kinda wonky

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The pattern was decent for much of December, but we were unlucky(plus climo). Since then the Aleutian ridge has been strong and stable, and in a very unfavorable position. That's pretty much the ball game.

So now the question is is that (Aleutian ridge) just random bad luck, or is it....base? Lol

• mappy unpinned this topic