Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

13 hours ago, CAPE said:

Making a move to a location with a "slightly better" climo in our general region probably won't make much difference at this point lol. Hell it doesn't even snow on Mount PSU anymore.

Need to move to the western highlands to notice a significant difference.

I was in upstate NY last weekend. No snow pack until Lake George. Even Albany was grass. Thats over 300 miles north.

Just now, CAPE said:

As it stands now on the ens means, our next best opportunity lies in this window. Yes, the perpetual 10+ days away, and this chance will probably vanish in about 5 days, to be replaced by another "promising look" 10 days later.

1677823200-ckn4fJxwTxU.png

Agreed, this is it. Put all the chips in. After this brief stretch we know where the nao/ser are headed based on past history this 'winter'.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

As it stands now on the ens means, our next best opportunity lies in this window. Yes, the perpetual 10+ days away, and this chance will probably vanish in about 5 days, to be replaced by another "promising look" 10 days later.

1677823200-ckn4fJxwTxU.png

Don't worry once we get to 8 days away we will be talking about the next 10 day threat and the one after that. Before you know it its April.

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

LR ens have the NAO building but like other times this year you can see where this is headed at the end of the LR ens. Strong suspicion those 2 features are going to link up. Some hints of this in the extended. But hey, don't be sad winter is over.....be glad it happened in the first place. Oh wait, um, yeahhh

I look at it as a logic gate- NOT summer. A few months of enjoying the outdoors without being harassed by bugs and sweating like a pig is a win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, snownut said:

EastCoast NPZ ... Wow ... how much snow have you had there in Cross Junction area? It's been a toxic train wreck (worse than the real one in OH) of a season there! 

Increasing odds of split time retirement between VA & OR for me. Certainly will be interesting how the climate unfolds over the next 20 years.  After that I will be too old to care!

Photo from my last winter in Virginia.  Taken in Boyce VA Feb 2014. 

remember the nice storms that winter? 

My daughter in the picture is now a graduating senior.  visiting Universities all over the USA including this weekend in the midwest. 

Feb-13-2014.jpeg

I think I've got 5.5" on the season.  Which is 11X what stephens city has on the year.  It's been horrible, but I managed a white Christmas out of it, so I'm good. 

I'm likely headed back into the desert of stephens city this summer.  Pray for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, CAPE said:

Making a move to a location with a "slightly better" climo in our general region probably won't make much difference at this point lol. Hell it doesn't even snow on Mount PSU anymore.

Need to move to the western highlands to notice a significant difference.

The climo at my place is 4F cooler than Winchester general.  It does make a big difference in the marginal events (which seem to be the only events we get anymore) and how long snowcover lasts.  Compared to stephens city the last several years, I live in Vail.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 6Z GEFS…and latest GFS MJO does not go into Phase 6 the first week of March.  So for at least 6 hours, still in the game the late February/ early March period.

93D94F4E-0327-4FE5-9142-9D7B5E0BFED9.png

C6E93AD5-93AB-4D2F-85F4-4602625A6DEA.png

AFE71F42-E816-4597-8211-FB0D6A3D1AF4.png

6CA77756-ADC9-4564-9BF7-59D6CF7507CD.png

You act as if that’s some magic dividing line. Do you really think it matters if that plot is slightly right or left of that line?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

I always find these phase diagrams confusing but aren't we currently in phase 7 and rapidly heading into either the favorable phase 8 or the less-favorable but consistent with La Niña COD?

The phase doesnt really matter when there is very little amplitude anyways. This winter is over. Not like ever started. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Man, do we have a shot of +NAO before it turns negative. Look at this map (warm pattern). 

Now we have a tropical ridge over Florida. (may have to get past this first for -pna weakness, model has been initializing more on current conditions). I'm surprised you guys aren't talking about this. 

1151407856_f192(1).thumb.gif.b095802bcaef44fc9748100cea809fdf.gif

It checks back to a warm day or 2. I would watch for thunderstorms risk.  (Maybe some 80s and 90s in the SE as the +NAO hooks up with -PNA.)

154110602_f204(1).thumb.gif.b28b3b57497a049569fafe1e38d4bfa3.gif

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Now we have a tropical ridge over Florida. (may have to get past this first for -pna weakness, model has been initializing more on current conditions). I'm surprised you guys aren't talking about this. 

1151407856_f192(1).thumb.gif.b095802bcaef44fc9748100cea809fdf.gif

It checks back to a warm day or 2. I would watch for thunderstorms risk.  (Maybe some 80s and 90s in the SE as the +NAO hooks up with -PNA.)

154110602_f204(1).thumb.gif.b28b3b57497a049569fafe1e38d4bfa3.gif

Why would we discuss a nightmare? We aren’t in a therapists office.

We probably should be though.

• Haha 1

CFS says we FINALLY get some PAC help.........next November. But hey, if this model has any kind of value I would take that as a sign of a changing ENSO state and better look going into next winter. Obviously this is sarcastic post in a way, but that wouldn't be a terrible look headed into next winter. Aleutian low, +PNA, -AO.....sign me up please.

cfs-mon_01_z500a_nhem_9.png

• Haha 3

• mappy unpinned this topic