Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

25 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Wouldn’t be the mid Atlantic without having a flood watch hoisted as the rest of the country is under a winter weather alert of some kind.

Hoping to squeeze out an inch or two up this way before we head into the freezer for 36 hours. Sucks that that is “best case” scenario, but it is December in the mid Atlantic. Snow is allergic to the Delmarva in December.

In the Mid-Atlantic, we fail more before 9am than most southern cities do in an entire winter

• Like 1

I pulled up the point-and-click forecast for Mount Storm, West Virginia.  After their 4 to 7 inches of snow and a quarter inch of ice tomorrow, the temperature on Friday night falls to’ -3°F, with wind gusts to 60 mph.  Saturday’s forecast high is 5°F.

That’s pretty impressive for December, even there.

• Like 4

Wow. Wasnt expecting that uptick in frozen precip at 18z. The RGEM only gets my area to a high of 35 before the crash. Should be chilly enough to keep whatever falls around for the deep freeze. 

And those complaining about flood watches take solace in knowing the Boston area has them as well. 

Gotta be on the edge if you want the goods. This is a pretty good pummeling right before the flip.

image.thumb.png.bca5a3f371dcf82aa95793bd6ec6eee6.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ephesians2 said:

31.3/9.9 in Fredericksburg. Several degrees colder than forecast. I'm under no illusions that I will get anything out of this, but might be a good sign for the western/northwestern half of this forum. 

Nice spread on the temp to dew point ratio as well! That’s like a 7 degree drop in temp if precip came in right now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ephesians2 said:

31.3/9.9 in Fredericksburg. Several degrees colder than forecast. I'm under no illusions that I will get anything out of this, but might be a good sign for the western/northwestern half of this forum. 

Think maybe that DP is off?  Im at 20 up here...HGR is reporting a 19 degree DP.

Regardless...I do agree that temps are running a bit lower than forecasted.  I am at 28 and the forecasted low is 29 here.  I'll expect the typical few degree bump once clouds roll in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

Think maybe that DP is off?  Im at 20 up here...HGR is reporting a 19 degree DP.

Regardless...I do agree that temps are running a bit lower than forecasted.  I am at 28 and the forecasted low is 29 here.  I'll expect the typical few degree bump once clouds roll in.

Yeah, it almost certainly is... never mind. Checked some stations on Wunderground and it's probably actually in the lower 20s.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Media PA southeastern PA we have 28 degrees and dewpoint of 14 degrees but with a dreaded southeast wind at 2 mph so temps will hold steady and slowly rise soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Media PA southeastern PA we have 28 degrees and dewpoint of 14 degrees but with a dreaded southeast wind at 2 mph so temps will hold steady and slowly rise soon.

30/23 here in central Chester County

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

That coastal low will do its job in turning the flow NE even for your area temporarily. Out here, surface flow doesn't turn S/SE until 06z or so Fri.  Kind of a crazy little micro climate before the big arctic push.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic