• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"We're gonna need a bigger plow..." Massive, persistent singal now emerges discretely in the models, 20th-23rd

Typhoon Tip

46 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I don't get the "wind forecasts always underperform" thing. I feel like most of our forecasts verify fairly well at the ASOS stations. If you're looking at the HRRR/Euro or whatever raw model output though and taking that as a forecast you're going to be disappointed.

Box only has CT zones in Wind Advisory, do you think that’s sufficient? I expect highest area to gust near 55.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d bet a case of Runaway Berg  weed supply that an only SE CT white Xmas while no one else in state has any has never happened 

1998? GON had like 2-3" on 12/24 (and sub-freezing the next few days) while everyone else in the state was skunked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seriously? From a coastal? And there nothing OTG in NW Hills?

Yeah I don't think anyone else had pack...it was a brutal torch December leading into that and then a rogue cold shot plus a scraper got SE CT/RI/far SE MA with a decent snow event while everyone else was screwed.

Isle Au Haut now forecast for Cat 1 gusts.

Tonight
Rain, mainly after 3am. Low around 40. Windy, with an east wind 15 to 25 mph increasing to 25 to 35 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Friday
Rain, with thunderstorms also possible after 1pm. High near 51. Very windy, with an east wind 40 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Friday Night
Rain likely before 1am, then a chance of rain and snow between 1am and 2am, then a chance of snow after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Very windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.
Christmas Day
Scattered snow showers, mainly before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I may try the la Quinta inn by Buffalo Niagara Apt it’s on what looks like a main road 1/4 mile or less from I-90 ramp . Let’s see what happens if I’m stuck lol

If it’s on Transit rd or rt 33 (Genesee rd) those will be plowed pretty good. I’ve spent a lot of time around there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If it’s on Transit rd or rt 33 (Genesee rd) those will be plowed pretty good. I’ve spent a lot of time around there. 

It is on transit rd briefly before the on ramp to I-90

Will , you think they Will shut down I-90 Saturday overnite ? Trying to gauge the family angst lol / arrival back time 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It is on transit rd briefly before the on ramp to I-90

Will they shut down I-90 Saturday overnite ?

If they do it would only be right near that exit. They will do everything to try and keep it open though. They don’t want to shut it down. 

If they somehow close it, you could prob take the Pembroke exit a few miles east and then come in on genesee rd (rt 33) from the east until it intersects with transit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, wokeupthisam said:

Yup, sad.  Wonder how much (if any) will be left Sat morning...

Pre Grinch Dec 22 2022.jpg

I'm sort of wondering how bad it will be. The 2020 megagrinch was warm enough to melt 2-3' of snow off of NNE, but that was low-density snow and it was much warmer. Some SN/PL followed by 38˚ rain might and the cold might just create a glacier. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it wound up being a meltdown given the lack of base beneath. Good luck to the ski resorts.

2 minutes ago, ariof said:

I'm sort of wondering how bad it will be. The 2020 megagrinch was warm enough to melt 2-3' of snow off of NNE, but that was low-density snow and it was much warmer. Some SN/PL followed by 38˚ rain might and the cold might just create a glacier. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it wound up being a meltdown given the lack of base beneath. Good luck to the ski resorts.

high Dews + high wind. That's the pack killer. And that's what we have this time.