• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah for sure, if anything the Stratus is a few points low.  When you have to take the center tube out and top off, then pour to fill 8 times, bound to lose a few drops.

I found if you wiggle the cap while its still in the small tube a couple times before you take it off, It will be right at 1.00" on qpf in the small tube.

• Like 4

I don’t know, but part of me thinks the models were pretty accurate with displaying a widespread heavy rainfall event?

The swath of 1.50-2.00”+ is massive from PA up into ME.

All weather models continued to signal a widespread high-end water event and it seemed to deliver.

My dad says close to 5” along the state border in NE CT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think my one melt in the middle of an event was the firehose rain storm in mid-March 2010. We missed a 2-3 foot paste bomb by like 1C over the interior. (We actually had a little wet snow at the beginning)

If I recall correctly MPM got crushed on that one and so did Pete . Steep cut off E of MPM 

7 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If I recall correctly MPM got crushed on that one and so did Pete . Steep cut off E of MPM 

No it was mostly rain into the Berkshires too except a bit of snow at the onset. I think the high terrain of VT/NH got at least some paste in that one. 

You might be thinking of the 2/24/10 storm. That one crushed ORH county back to the Berkshires. MPM had like 2 feet. I had about a foot in ORH before it mixed while 495 eastward had zilch. Then the retro-rainstorm the next day ruined a lot of it but it changed back to snow pretty quickly in the Berkshires and they picked up another 10-15”. I think even Hubbdave got another 8-10” too and I couldn’t believe it since I wasn’t that far from him but only got 2-3” after it flipped back. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

What a drink! 3.2 cef, 3.9 bdl. Good news, solid forecasting with this one

That total at CEF is bogus. Western Mass News on Liberty Street at the Chicopee line recorded about 3.7. At my house about a mile from CEF as the crow fliees it was 3.83". i wouldn't give a nickel for their readings. Half the time thier AWOS is offline and the other half its incorrect.

14 hours ago, acoolerclimate said:

7.93 inches as of now in North Providence for the 2 days. Most rain I have ever personally measured in this amount of time. 

Sure beats my 0.58" here.  :o
Biggest 2-day rain for me was actually in 24 hours, in NNJ.  8/27/71 had a PRE dump 3.80" between 8 AM and 5 PM.  Then Doria ripped thru that night, with 5.10" between midnight and 5 AM, with tropical storm winds, gusts 60+.  (Cheap wedge gauge, with 1/2" gradations above the 1" mark, made more precise measurement impossible.)  Because the antecedent was quite dry, flooding was surprisingly minor, though I did stall our Chevy Nova splashing thru Rockaway River overflow in Denville - water was only an inch from coming over the doorsill as I pushed the car out of the flooded part of the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

No it was mostly rain into the Berkshires too except a bit of snow at the onset. I think the high terrain of VT/NH got at least some paste in that one. 

You might be thinking of the 2/24/10 storm. That one crushed ORH county back to the Berkshires. MPM had like 2 feet. I had about a foot in ORH before it mixed while 495 eastward had zilch. Then the retro-rainstorm the next day ruined a lot of it but it changed back to snow pretty quickly in the Berkshires and they picked up another 10-15”. I think even Hubbdave got another 8-10” too and I couldn’t believe it since I wasn’t that far from him but only got 2-3” after it flipped back. 

Blecchh!  As I've whined before, that brought the ugliest 10"+ storm I ever hope to see, 4:1 mush that splattered off branches rather than loading the trees, and followed by 1"+ RA at 34-35, with the same strong NE winds that brought NYC's 20.9" snowicane.  That event was only 5°F from a repeat of what had occurred exactly 41 years earlier, when Farmington got 43".  This time they had less than 10", while 6 mile west and 750' higher, Temple had 26.4".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Big surf days at least. Would like to be there at Point Loma.

True story.  A big surf day and I was body surfing in Malibu circa 1979 with a big hurricane about 1000 miles away.  Got wrapped up in kelp in the proverbial “washing machine “ and couldn’t surface.  Pretty much thought I bought the farm and was surprisingly at peace with it.  I gave one more push and got out from underneath the kelp bed.   Haven’t been the same since in the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

True story.  A big surf day and I was body surfing in Malibu circa 1979 with a big hurricane about 1000 miles away.  Got wrapped up in kelp in the proverbial “washing machine “ and couldn’t surface.  Pretty much thought I bought the farm and was surprisingly at peace with it.  I gave one more push and got out from underneath the kelp bed.   Haven’t been the same since in the ocean.

Damn. Yea I have been washing machined a couple of times. Also slammed face first into the sand. Got back on the horse everytime. The rush of adrenaline on top of a 15 foot wave seeing past the dunes into the coastal ponds is comparable to dropping into a double black diamond.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn. Yea I have been washing machined a couple of times. Also slammed face first into the sand. Got back on the horse everytime. The rush of adrenaline on top of a 15 foot wave seeing past the dunes into the coastal ponds is comparable to dropping into a double black diamond.  

much, much scarier actually.   15' bodysurfing is insane, and we were out in Bill, but not out where those bad boys were breaking.  Even the smaller ones had the pucker factor and the scorpion risk.

49 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I tried but just a tad tentative.  So I sought smaller waves and avoided kelp season.  Before that episode I remember a glorious October afternoon with my buddy going at the waves for hours.  By November you need a wetsuit.  I was windsurfing with this guy in mid November sometime in a wetsuit  in the early 80s.   We ended up amid big ships and tried to figure out a way not to get killed…lol.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

They have caution signs in Hawaii at the beach showing people's necks breaking from this.  I got slammed a couple times it hurt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

i had a somewhat similar experience in Huntington Beach when I was 14. was surfing having a great day. was getting tired so i was heading to the shore. got off my board to walk in the waist-deep water and got washed out by a huge wave. as i was getting up, got hit again and started getting pulled out/under and my quads started cramping up. i literally could not get up. fortunately my sister and a couple friends were there to haul me out. if not for them, i would probably still be out there

• Like 1