• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

So in summary, the 12z suite puts a major Northeast/East Coast storm well in play for late weekend. Controls keep track inland which keeps significant snows west of the metros. Ensembles provide hope for a more coastal track. 

Too much time and stress left between now and Sunday. 

• Like 2

I think based on the Ops and their corresponding ensembles, we honestly are sitting pretty damn nice for this lead time. The details show that there is likely going to be a sizeable storm but the exact track is of course still up for debate. Someone is getting smoked though whether its NC to Maine.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Was going to make a I have a dream reference about the storm, but even as a bleck, I cringed a little.  So, without further ado, here is the Jan 17 potential storm thread.  

Legal disclaimer:  As author of this thread, Stormtracker(tm) is not responsible for any negative affects to the storm.  By posting in this thread, you accept all terms and conditions, including, but not limited to: praising stormtracker if storm trends favorable, NOT blaming stormtracker if storm trends even more negatively than it already has.  This offer cannot be redeemed for cash, monopoly properties or any rights to ban Vice Regent.  

How about Full Moon Freeze Fest Spectacular? I had a dream too. 

20 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It's all about the storm and expectations. If there is a big coastal storm, yes, I'm going to be mad if I get 6 inches immediately washed away as the snow turns over to rain. 

But if It's a clipper or something and I'm getting 1-3 or 2-4, that's awesome. Or just a quick moving wave that lays down a nice 3-6/4-8, great!

You only get so many chances in life to experience a HECS. And there are only so many opportunities to get one, so when the chance comes along, you don't want to swing and miss.

20 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Good advice. Work is kicking my ass and interfering with my favorite hobby lol. But yes, I don’t get too excited until we get into the 48-72 hour range. If this looks good on Thursday all bets are off on containing my excitement. Hope you are having a great start to the New Year!

You all have to forgive me. I always expect the least and am hardly ever disappointed when threats don't work out in our favor. I also could care less about how much snow falls. Just falling snow is wonderful. 

Sleet can **** right off though. 

But doing fine, getting ready for company-wide GIS training session #2, so yay. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Thank the heavens.  EPS tempered the temporary disappointment with the OP

This storm is starting out a lot further south than a lot of the setups where we struggle with an inland track. And the mid and upper levels look great. 
I would ride with this! 

R8qT0hW.png
All 3 globals did something pretty wonky with the surface low.  I could see a westward intrusion of a mid level warm layer of the upper low is too slow. But what typically happens in that situation is you get an initial thump of WAA snow then a huge dry slot. That’s the setup we had in Feb 2014. Then with that h5 track probably a deform round 2. 

Of course the whole setup could be wrong but as others have stated also I doubt the surface look the globals are spitting out if the mid and upper levels are correct.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 2

I won't insult everyone by posting the whole disco, but to someone's earlier point about tornado watches... :lol:

In terms of forcing, an upper low feature currently situated just 
off the NW coast will begin to shoot down across the CONUS. 
Following its initial path across the western third of the CONUS 
will allow for ridging in its wake. A cutoff low will subsequently 
shoot down near the Tennessee Valley by Saturday night with a coastal 
low poised to form off the Carolina coastline. This, along with 
subtropical ridging across the western Atlantic will keep the low 
tracked most likely closer to the coastline than further south. Main 
uncertainty now is the exact track of the low. This will greatly 
influence the potential for a widespread snowfall for the Mid-
Atlantic or even the potential for snow in the mountains and maybe a 
slight severe threat further east. GEFS 12z guidance has come a 
little bit more in agreement to EPS (a bit further south) but 
overall trends are still favoring a significant snowfall event 
somewhere between central NC and closer to the Mason-Dixon line and 
points further NE. Continue to visit weather.gov/lwx/winter for the 
latest forecast regarding this event.
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

Sooooooo. The 12z CIPS analogs are out......

The top two analogs with regards to the 500mb height pattern at 132 hrs out are:

1/26/2011

2/13/2014 

2134152860_Analog2014.thumb.png.d740ef24dea1186e083f73dcd535fd5b.png

Lead up at 120 hrs out number one analog......

2/10/1983 

897461918_Analog1983.thumb.png.6c587e7c122996331afb7e11ae80a7b2.png

This doesn't mean we can expect those exact results, but it does show what type of pattern and setup we are heading into these next 5-7 days. Remarkable swing these last 18 hrs.

• Like 9
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

The top two analogs with regards to the 500mb height pattern at 132 hrs out are:

1/26/2011

2/13/2014 

2/10/1983 

This doesn't mean we can expect those exact results, but it does show what type of pattern and setup we are heading into these next 5-7 days. Remarkable swing these last 18 hrs.

The one thing those three storms had in common was the amazing rates and dynamics, including the widespread thundersnow. I remember seeing that flash of lightning at Millersville back in Feb 2014.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

1/26/2011

2/13/2014 

2/10/1983 

Interesting that Commutageddon got in there.  Wouldn't necessarily have thought of that, but I imagine it's due to the intense closed 500mb low (which Commutageddon had).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

1/26/2011

2/13/2014 

2/10/1983 

I'll add 1/4/94 to the list

• Like 1

With the explosive cyclogenesis factor, this would produce extreme snowfall rates over the region and the frontal boundaries might not be as far inland as feared because of the rapid development. Also would expect a correction on this westward trend as chinook signal is filtered out of the development (chinooks confuse models a bit as there is warmth that won't travel downstream). The genesis for this storm is the short wave moving inland over the Pac NW and then due to sneak through the upper level ridge out west to form a Rocky Mountain lee depression in se CO that generates low pressure in Texas. 

The key is the strength of the arctic high moving southeast to wedge between this storm and the previous one which would be up around Baffin Island by Sunday. As that crests ahead of the bombing east coast cyclone, cold air will be hard to push out, if the 985 mb low verifies but closer to a track up the coast and towards east half NYC metro, then sleet stays coastal - Delmarva and S+ axis is closer to I-95 although still somewhat further inland. Blizzard of 1899 followed a similar evolution and crossed n FL, came up the coast and bombed out near Delmarva. Depth of cold air not quite up to that standard and more similar to the Blizzard of 93 which also came across ne FL. Something big is in the works and the timing at full moon brings in a lot of strong analogues. This could easily top 30" somewhere in the subforum, most likely sw to nw of DC. Would say 8-12" DCA and 15-20" IAD, 10-15" BWI, mostly sleet to rain SBY, multi-phase crapfest RIC, 2" rain se VA. Thundersnow and thundersleet very likely. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic