Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3 CAPE Storm

WxUSAF

6 minutes ago, snowfan said:

It actually looks very reasonable. 

Hey, we will find out. That's what makes this fun. I just think it completely ignores the GFS, which has been leading the whole way, and the Euro, which are both much farther north. HRRR is still a bit out of range but the 7-10 area looks like it will be better suited for an ark than an igloo, but that's why he's a met and I'm just a weather fan!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It def can happen but your post illustrates my point perfectly. Once every 10-15 years it happens. And since it did (in my yard) in Jan 2019, we can discuss the next time as we approach 2030. 

You’re right that it’s not typical.  And I know you’re kidding but we do have some who think there are numerical patterns and while storms that fringe the NW zones are rare they can happen in bunches. There were a few in 1980 for example. Hence the rare year Richmond and DC had more snow then up here. Not saying it’s likely now…just that there is chaos at play here. I’m not worried. I do think there is a good chance I get fringed tomorrow but it will even out over time so it’s ok.  

Congrats to usedtobe and the southerners! Like others said, I'm just going to let the chips fall where they will. I've kept an eye on this but never had any big expectations, and honestly it's not worth it in this region to get so sucked in. An inch or two will still be a nice treat.

• Like 3

My standard word of caution that the 10:1 maps should not be used verbatim in many events, but especially in one with warm ground and marginal temps (at least at the start).     We're not going to see 10:1 for most of the event, and while I am a believer in rates overcoming warm ground (especially when it's not the middle of the day), some accumulation could initially be lost.    The accumulated snow depth maps tend to cut amounts a bit too much in these scenarios, but a compromise between the 10:1 and snow depth maps can work.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

You’re right that it’s not typical.  And I know you’re kidding but we do have some who think there are numerical patterns and while storms that fringe the NW zones are rare they can happen in bunches. There were a few in 1980 for example. Hence the rare year Richmond and DC had more snow then up here. Not saying it’s likely now…just that there is chaos at play here. I’m not worried. I do think there is a good chance I get fringed tomorrow but it will even out over time so it’s ok.  

I've pondered why the "storm highways" set up the way they do. It's unpredictable at any range b4 it sets up but once a track gets "carved" in an active pattern, it's rather incredible how the atmosphere truly appears to have a memory. Kinda like I70 in the Midwest. So many trucks driving the same road for so long it created depressions in the highway that will steer your car for you. I once went over 20 miles in Central KS without touching the steering wheel. The atmosphere seems to work the same way at times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, rjvanals said:

This is better than last night for DC :D

image.png

I mean, I just don't understand some of the maps out there given this. I think the GFS is generally terrible but I have to admit it has been the clear leader with this storm. I'd hang my hat on a GFS/Euro blend with this one over the other models and take my chances.

• Like 1

I've pondered why the "storm highways" set up the way they do. It's unpredictable at any range b4 it sets up but once a track gets "carved" in an active pattern, it's rather incredible how the atmosphere truly appears to have a memory. Kinda like I70 in the Midwest. So many trucks driving the same road for so long it created depressions in the highway that will steer your car for you. I once went over 20 miles in Central KS without touching the steering wheel. The atmosphere seems to work the same way at times. 

I sorta believe in the concept of atmospheric memory, as much as I hate to admit it. It’s probably easily explainable that storms will track similar paths during the same pattern, but I do like seeing this storm because maybe one follows the same path later in the winter, lol.
  • Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic